Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confident Barkley will come good, if not we will have to find an attacking midfielder/secondary forward that can do that job, if Barkley can play like he has in the last few games it's his place to lose. I see Snides as a replacement for Barry so that IMO will be one problem position sorted and as I said before will improve both defending and attacking. Then we have RW and LW and with Bolasie injured I think Mirallas is quite highly thought of by Koeman So he will be used quite a lot, so I see a winger coming, I'm not counting on Lookman yet as a first teamer as I've not really seen anything of him. But if we do get him and Snides deals over the line, it's looking promising for this transfer window.

I agree, things are looking very hopeful, be nice to get a few over the line to calm the nerves.

No Snides isnt the number 8 with magic in his boots, thats certainly correct, ive said im not sure we will get that player this window, nor for me, is Ronny currently looking for that type of player. Gana and Snides will provide a midfield base for us to work from, Snides will be able to get up and down, safe in the knowledge that Gana will be sweeping up behind him.

If we consider the players and rumours from the Summer window, none of them were numbers 8s with magic in their boots, Witsel is a box to box, Carvs is a Deep Lying playmaker, Sissoko is a box to box, Snides is slightly different than them all also, I dont consider him box to box, but thats certainly the role he will be tasked with, he does have a decent passing range, but its not of the door unlocker variety.

The style will become clearer over the next 6 months, so its difficult to say anything with a degree of certainty.

I hope both that Koeman and Walsh both want and are looking for that magical number 8 for this window. I don't like having to rely solely on wingers creating the chances because it makes it easier for other teams to set up to stop us playing if we only play one way.

Lukaku seems to prefer receiving the ball played onto his run or into his feet when he's backing into the defender at the top of the box.

I agree none of the players we were linked with in the summer were that type of player but I hope Koeman has identified a need for that player in the 4 months since, maybe he hoped Barkley could be moved there at the time.

For the amount of money we'd be spending on Schneiderlin, talking 20 million +, I think the team would benefit more from a player who can provide more further up the pitch than another "box-to-box" or "Deep Lying Playmaker" type. After Cleverley, Gibson, and McCarthy's performances in the last 3 years I just want to move away from that type of "play it safe/crab passes" (Not saying Schneiderlin is this exactly, but he's not as creative as I want) player stopping us from punishing teams and fannying with the ball outside of the box before running out of ideas and losing possession.

I hope both that Koeman and Walsh both want and are looking for that magical number 8 for this window. I don't like having to rely solely on wingers creating the chances because it makes it easier for other teams to set up to stop us playing if we only play one way.

Lukaku seems to prefer receiving the ball played onto his run or into his feet when he's backing into the defender at the top of the box.

I agree none of the players we were linked with in the summer were that type of player but I hope Koeman has identified a need for that player in the 4 months since, maybe he hoped Barkley could be moved there at the time.

For the amount of money we'd be spending on Schneiderlin, talking 20 million +, I think the team would benefit more from a player who can provide more further up the pitch than another "box-to-box" or "Deep Lying Playmaker" type. After Cleverley, Gibson, and McCarthy's performances in the last 3 years I just want to move away from that type of "play it safe/crab passes" (Not saying Schneiderlin is this exactly, but he's not as creative as I want) player stopping us from punishing teams and fannying with the ball outside of the box before running out of ideas and losing possession.

Mate there's absolutely no point in having some boss number ten playmaker in when it doesn't suit the System or the players we have - likely thrives off having anotge cf with him and players running from deep., having a mate, sigurdson type won't change owt

Where is this number 8 going to fit in? As Snides (if we get him) Gueye (when back) and Barkley are all going to play.

I feel you are being quite negative, schneiderlin is an up grade on Barry due to the fact he's going to be quicker so that will help out Defensively and offensively. I also think Barkley could well be the player to provide Lukaku and with players like Gueye and Schneiderlin Behind him he won't have to defend half as much. Unfortunately for Barry as good as he is,he's getting old and he is slow and that causes problems in the modern game, you only have to see Davies there and the midfield just has much more pace and energy. We do seem to be lacking consistant wingers so that does need addressing, hopefully Walsh has decided Lookman can come straight in a do a job for the second half of the season.

I probably am being negative but that's because I don't see anything positive about the deal besides it gets someone new in who hasn't been stinking out Goodison Park for the last 4 months.

I don't see Barkley being the player to provide Lukaku, they've played together for 3 years now and Barkley has been no better at setting up Rom than Bolasie or Deulofeu. I love the lad but he doesn't seem to see the pass until it is too late and that has been the case for a while now. He is excellent at what he does but he is no magically-boss door-unlocker, he runs through your team and then wellies a shot with either foot.

I don't know why you think Schneiderlin replacing Barry is going to have this great effect on Barkley or lessen his defensive duties, if that was the case then arguably McCarthy could do that, especially if the issue just comes down to Barry's pace.

What does Schneiderlin do better than McCarthy? or Cleverley? Does he do it well enough to be worth over 20 million (even with the ridiculous equilibrium for Prem players)? I just don't see it right now and he isn't the type of player I want, then again I don't want us to keep persisting with 3 central midfielders period if none of them can create.

I'm not writing Lookman off, I just hope that he isn't the only winger coming in with Bolasie's injury and Deulofeu looking to get off sharpish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back