Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, get him now while he is available. Probably Barry will leave over the summer.

Also, we essentially play with 3 midfielders in a fast press - very fitness intensive.
Playmaker/second attacker was the priority though: Lukaku gets injured and that's that.

I'm already thinking ahead to the summer, not sure if we'll get anyone else in by Tuesday.

£30m+ is a decent enough net outlay for January with poor/non-existent performers offloaded but I think we would have to look at doubling that between June-August if we are to be competitive from the off.

I think we need another 5 signings and my naturally cautious take on all matters Everton is already wondering how we might afford them, not to mention being organised internally and ready to do business early. The stories of Kenwrights continuing involvement in transfer negotiations do not inspire confidence.

Not sure if expecting a ball-park net spend in the summer of approx £60-£70m is fair? Should it be higher? Lower? Would like to hear other opinions on this, in the context of increased TV revenue, commercial revenue etc. Given our current January spending, and the near break-even efforts of last summer, another £70m would see us roughly at the £100M budget that was mooted last summer for Koeman.

I have to admit whilst I'm generally happy with progress, I'm dubious as to whether the summer will finally herald visible evidence of a big net-spend and that we get "take-off" on becoming the ambitious club with means to deliver that we all want.

If we do have that sort of money left in the coffers for transfers, then it will still have to be carefully managed. One £30m signing from a budget of say £60m would mean that Walsh in particular will have to be very creative in finding cheaper solutions in addressing some of the gaps in the squad.

I think Ade can play on the wing, but playing a centre mid or forward on the wing is ridiculous for me, el senor should be testament to this floored philosophy. See Cleverley as another example.

*flawed

Nah, you can't include Snivelley here as an example. He was just a completely terrible footballer, let alone capable of wing play. The rest could easily make it work if we switched formation.

Unless a top class player becomes available, better to leave it for cool heads in the summer

Why not?

We essentially play best with 3 at the back and advanced full backs, two up front. So if you've got Lukaku / Mirallas / Lookman / Valencia for the front two spots and can't get a high quality player in, what is the worry?

Save the cash and spend in the summer.

Agree, we are realistically unlikely to end up outwith 5th-8th position come what may also the emergence of Davies and Holgate coupled with the fact that historically there are better quality players available in the Summer make that a more viable proposition.

Ah now I see it, you're not taking into account the poor eyesight of an old man-Reported;)

Im 27 mate getting on abit myself, but I wouldn't be too concerned by me on my high horse looking down on you for poor reading skills, up until a few days ago I called you Lambert Toffee, who the hell am I to judge lol

Seriously ? We will need to move them on eventually, but right now Oviedo covers for a older Baines, Stek is arguably number 1 keeper until joel's good run, Lennon is cover for the right wing, maybe cover seamus in the RWB position, and Jagielka is the cover for the three centre backs should any of them tire or get injured.

All of those players are absolutely awful though mate, think that's what he's saying.

*flawed

Nah, you can't include Snivelley here as an example. He was just a completely terrible footballer, let alone capable of wing play. The rest could easily make it work if we switched formation.

Unless a top class player becomes available, better to leave it for cool heads in the summer

No mate FLOORED, I kept head butting the floor every time I seen cleverly or barkley on the left wing lol

Im getting rather tired of managers spending fortunes on players to then play them out of position to accommodate another player, or to complete some philosophy to make a simple game look tougher than It needs to be.

Would you not be bothered if Everton signed Messi and played him in goal ? Or paid £28m for Bolasie to play him centre half ?

Playmaker/second attacker was the priority though: Lukaku gets injured and that's that.

To be honest though, you could say that about United too, if Zlatan gets injured they're toothless.

Only sides in the league I think that wouldn't tank from losing their main forwards would be Chelsea, Spurs, probably Arsenal. Mane leaving for ACN has killed the horrors, for example.

I keep hoping that Pelle's time in China has been a disaster and that he gets sold back to Europe, us in particular. Solves the target man issue straight away

To be honest though, you could say that about United too, if Zlatan gets injured they're toothless.

Only sides in the league I think that wouldn't tank from losing their main forwards would be Chelsea, Spurs, probably Arsenal. Mane leaving for ACN has killed the horrors, for example.

I keep hoping that Pelle's time in China has been a disaster and that he gets sold back to Europe, us in particular. Solves the target man issue straight away

Even Spurs would too I reckon. Janssen is no Kane. But at least they have an option.

All of those players are absolutely awful though mate, think that's what he's saying.

Think that's still being abit harsh on those highlighted. They are here to do a job, we cannot be all real Madrid all of a sudden and have £15m reserve full backs and such. Every player has a role in the squad IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back