Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronald Koeman talks to Dutch media about holding back on Everton transfers
By Dipesh Agarwal -

28th January 2017

With the transfer window set to close on Tuesday, clubs in England are still trying to get a few players in, as they prepare for the second half of the season.

However, signing a new player can’t always be a solution to a problem, and Everton boss Ronald Koeman has been discussing it in his column for De Telegraaf.

He said: “As a coach, I see if a new signing can hinder the development of a new talent. We can go and sign again, but in six months a talent might just be ready.
“Then you want to give him perspective. I think it’s nice to see the young players from their own training centres in England knock on the door.

“I want to give them confidence. In England, they generally hesitate, and don’t play young players too early. But as a Dutchman, I just don’t hesitate to give them a chance.”

Koeman gives the example of the match against Manchester City, which Everton won 4-0, and finished the game with two very young players.

The Dutchman insists he could go out and sign players at Everton, but always has his eyes set on the youth academy to check if they can bring someone to the senior squad.

The former Ajax boss says he admires the attitude of young English footballers, and insists players like them can’t be found in Netherlands or any other European country.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-28-at-10.18.55-91x300.png
He added: “The Premier League has made many foreign purchases and sometimes that’s inevitable, but I get to see the appreciation of everything just by walking in the training ground.

“I admire the attitude, the mentality and behaviour of the young English footballers. They go like the fire, you don’t need to do anything to their motivation and I have to slow them down rather than push ahead. They possess a certain character that you don’t see in the Netherlands or in other countries. It’s a different culture.”

Koeman’s has backed up his comments by showing at Everton, and previously at Southampton, that he’s willing to give youth a chance.
I was just going to post this.
Reading it Koeman seems to believe, has I do, we have some real talent coming through, possibly for this season, but definitely next season.
With that in mind, unless someone special comes up, there will be no more signings.

Reading it Koeman seems to believe, has I do, we have some real talent coming through, possibly for this season, but definitely next season.
With that in mind, unless someone special comes up, there will be no more signings.
where does it say that?

Completely agree. We've got the biggest number of talented youngsters for decades in my opinion. It's very positive to hear Koeman saying this after his comments last year.

That is exactly what he says indeed. Seems no more in then. UNLESS. It's someone special. So no that's it.

Completely agree. We've got the biggest number of talented youngsters for decades in my opinion. It's very positive to hear Koeman saying this after his comments last year.

...we're we're knocked out of the Youth Cup in the early rounds by Preston and although the U23s are top of their league they were found wanting when upped in Standard for that Europran competition. I'm not saying you're wrong but it's such a massive step up to open age football, never mind the Premiership that we need to manage expectation.

The defence and midfield are full of internationals, most of whom are on the same path as Holgate and Davies, yes there is much to be admired and we should not forget the Unsworth/Royal partnership who are steering these lads to a premier league quality.

Should lukaku pick up a long term injury how would we look?
Should wiliams pick one of how we look?

The emergency window as you call it us important moreso for us as we where told there'd be no repeat of the big mistakes made during the summer. Two of which where not getting players in those two positions, we fail to fix that this, window then yeah people will be dissapointed hugely - and rightly so.

Thinking if we fail to do so this January is no problem because it will be sorted in the summer is being blind, because come summer who says the same thing won't unfold with we tried but there a always January to be the excuse rolled out again?

Hate all the ultra negative posters myself, but also don't understand those who try paint it all as no problem either.

We have a squad with a very good central midfield, a top class striker and two very good starting fullbacks, the rest of the team is patchwork at best, depth at cb is none existent , wingers are woeful, no back up striker. To ignore that and pretendcwe couldn't have addressed those problems in January but will do in summer is wrong.

And it's only the recent run and inclusion of the kids which have people thinking otherwise, couple of bad results/injuries this place will go toxic about us failing to strengthen in key areas.

Lukaku getting injured is an issue but we arent getting a top class striker in. Not in January, so its Enner Valencia as back up.

Wingers are not crap; Mirallas, Lookman, Lennon, as well as others can play there.

We have 4 cbs (Williams, Mori, Jagielka, Holgate) which is the standard amount.

I'm not saying our squad is perfect, but we don't need signings anymore than the other 19 clubs.

I imagine there will be some cynicism if we sold McCarthy and didn't spend again. Mind you, there would be equal cynicism if we did.

Hope we can move another 2 or 3 players on, and that there might be a surprise signing. I don't think it will be anything major as it's virtually impossible to line up something these days without it being flagged days and weeks in advance.

I agree with the view that the window has been somewhat underwhelming, I hope it's not a portent for the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back