Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't going to herald an era of galactico signings.

You can argue about what type of player we need in what position, but the reality is that there just has to be more coherency in our transfer strategy.

We cannot afford another repeat of going into a season such as we did this shorn of CB and forward options.

The appointment of Ancelotti for me brings a significant power shift in the Manager-DOF relationship, it's hard to see Brands being on equal terms against the weight of Ancelotti's opinion, particularly in Moshiri's eyes when it comes to financing signings.

The idea that Manager and DOF agree on every signing is a pure myth.

It seems that Brands has been to the forefront this season and last and whilst I was initially enthusiastic, sorry, he looks to have made a pig's ear of things.

Let Brands deal with negotiations if he so wishes, and have overall control over the academy, U-23's and sports science, but let Ancelotti lead the way on identifying who we should sign.

Brands can then go and pursue them.
Think the major difference is how much easier it will be to get the signing now we got Ancelotti as manager, players will want to play for him and will come to us.
Brands has done a fantastic job so far shifting some of the dead weights and his signs have all been great.
He’s got a very busy Jan tho

Pickford

Sidibe ??? Mina Digne

??? Gbamin ??? Iwobi

Richarlison ???

Assuming Carlo goes 442 realistically we need to sign 4 players who can push us forward.

Going to cost atleast £100 million so lets hope we can start getting a few bob for the likes of Tosun, Schneiderlin & Keane.
I wouldn't bother assuming that yet. We need good players wherever we can get them. Midfield highest priority for me. Jumping the gun even assuming Gbamin is quality.

Its going to be very interesting to see how we are lined up come end of Jan. At the moment we dont even know which formation we will be playing.
Two things we do know:

1: We need a starting centre back to partner with Mina.

2: We need a starting centre midfielder to build the midfield around.

I would be happy with just those two signings and they certainly wont come cheap.

Manager: Carlo Ancelotti

GK
Jordan Pickford (HG)
Jonas Lössl
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Djibril Sidibé
Cuco Martina

LB
Lucas Digne
Leighton Baines (HG)

CB
Yerry Mina
Michael Keane (HG)
Mason Holgate (HG)

DM/CM/AM
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
André Gomes (+)
Fabian Delph (HG)
Jean-Philippe Gbamin (+)
Tom Davies (UA)
Morgan Schneiderlin (HG)

Widers
Richarlison
Bernard
Alex Iwobi (HG)
Theo Walcott (HG)

ST
Moise Kean (UA)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse

Total players: 25
10 HG/13 Non-HG/2 UnderAge
Max 17 Non-HG

Players culled so far: 21
A.Williams(OOC), Jagielka(OOC), JJK(Loan), Vlasic(Sale), Sandro(Loan), Galloway(Free), Virginia(Loan), Dowell(Loan), Garbutt(Loan), Tarashaji(Loan), Robinson(Sale), Lookman(Sale), Gana(Sale), J.Williams(Sale), McCarthy(Sale), Pennington(Loan), Besic(Loan), Onyekuru(Sale), Connolly(Loan), Mirallas(Free?), Bolaise(Loan)

Players purchased : 7
Lossl, Gomes, Delph, Gbamin, Kean, Sidibe(Loan), Iwobi

Just wanted to make some edits, waiting for my thread to get unlocked due to inactivity.

The problems for me are very clear, whether we can fix them in a Winter window we shall see.

We, of course, have an issue at CB, we have been very lucky that we havent suffered any major injuries in that area, Keane is looking next-level bad, lets see if Carlo can sprinkle some dust, I doubt it, but numbers-wise we could do with a body in the CB area.

We need a body also in the CM area, Gomes and Gmblammo are long term injured, maybe we will see Gmblammo next month, but we certainly need a bit of quality in the middle.

Everything else will probably have to wait till summer, the problems are many and I doubt we will address them all in this Winter window, but the above are the 2 most pressing for me at this point in time.

Its going to be very interesting to see how we are lined up come end of Jan. At the moment we dont even know which formation we will be playing.
Two things we do know:

1: We need a starting centre back to partner with Mina.

2: We need a starting centre midfielder to build the midfield around.

I would be happy with just those two signings and they certainly wont come cheap.

Said it before, but it’s negligent on the management if there isn’t a CM walking through the door on Jan 1st. Ideally we need a loan to fit in for the rest of the season, after that we see where we end up as hopefully all the injured can recover to 100% capacity.

Not the end of the world if we do have to buy, but really we need a CB, CM & ST of which will be too much in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back