Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
...it's the MF your jug eared genius put together. Complaints directed to him.

Agreed with every post you’ve said. Right up until you decided to point fingers at your usual, as per above.

Pity, you were making some real common sense points.

I actually think Holgate has real potential to move into the midfield, he wasn’t great today but some of the passing Forwards he was doing was still on point.

Agreed with every post you’ve said. Right up until you decided to point fingers at your usual, as per above.

Pity, you were making some real common sense points.

He's the one who landed us with a bunch of crocks in MF. How does he get a free pass in this discussion?

Interesting decision this January
Do we get players in to ensure we stay up this season first? We are still only 5 points off relegation. Getting fancy overseas players in now may seem attractive but if they don’t gel in premier league we could be sucked into a relegation battle that may not suit them
longer term we need at least 9 new squad players
im worried

Why does buying a good midfielder have to be a short term fix? I mean even if Gbamin and Gomes come back and are really good, that's still only two midfielders so it isn't like we are overstocking things if we get another one so long as he is actually a good player.
You’re right it doesn’t need to be a short term fix, it’s just rare quality and value for money is available in January. I believe the midfield that starts next season will be drastically different to this year. Can see Sneiderlin, Delph and possibly Gylfi all gone and replaced with Carlo’s choice of players.

You’re right it doesn’t need to be a short term fix, it’s just rare quality and value for money is available in January. I believe the midfield that starts next season will be drastically different to this year. Can see Sneiderlin, Delph and possibly Gylfi all gone and replaced with Carlo’s choice of players.
Delph is probably staying. Between his age, wages and injuries he will be tough to shift. And I think he's fine if we need him to play 10 or 15 games a year. Just not 30.

Do we get players in to ensure we stay up this season first? We are still only 5 points off relegation. Getting fancy overseas players in now may seem attractive but if they don’t gel in premier league we could be sucked into a relegation battle that may not suit them
im worried
Loans and make sure we stay up. Real dogfight this year with any team able to beat any other. Then plan for next season and get 3 class players in

im worried

We're not going down.

We're 5 points off 7th and 5 points off 17th. We'll finish smack bang in the middle again even if we sign nobody.

Need to start buying players that can grow with us over the next 3 years. Look at players 24 and under, so that we maintain their resale value and aim to get the club regularly back in Europe.

City absolutely ate our lunch in the middle of the park today. I don't see how forwards can score if we cannot get the ball to them, other than wait for the opposing goalkeeper to gift us the ball and then pounce. Which won't provide enough goals to get us anywhere, though it was nice that it happened today.

Admittedly, those same midfielders were good enough in December even against good resistance, so I don't know that we need to panic, but today made it pretty clear that we're not going to be competitive at the top end of the table with what we have in that area right now.

With the bottom of the table waking up over the festive period, I do think that we need to take relegation seriously. Measured on goals for/against, the other candidates don't look that different from us. We've backslid on both this season, and we need to address at least one to feel confident in staying up (much less closing the gap to European places).

Whether the best route to do that is shore up the backline, try to get possession and creativity or try to get better finishing is less clear to me. They ALL seem wanting.

City absolutely ate our lunch in the middle of the park today. I don't see how forwards can score if we cannot get the ball to them, other than wait for the opposing goalkeeper to gift us the ball and then pounce. Which won't provide enough goals to get us anywhere, though it was nice that it happened today.

Admittedly, those same midfielders were good enough in December even against good resistance, so I don't know that we need to panic, but today made it pretty clear that we're not going to be competitive at the top end of the table with what we have in that area right now.

With the bottom of the table waking up over the festive period, I do think that we need to take relegation seriously. Measured on goals for/against, the other candidates don't look that different from us. We've backslid on both this season, and we need to address at least one to feel confident in staying up (much less closing the gap to European places).

Whether the best route to do that is shore up the backline, try to get possession and creativity or try to get better finishing is less clear to me. They ALL seem wanting.
[/QUOTE
We are not getting relegated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back