Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a fool would think we dont need a string puller.
A5D11A1E-D9CE-44B1-BC06-0E3AA780603D.webp

So you think Bournemouth have more chance of making 6 points on us a team that’s won 1 in 10 to us catching Utd or Spurs?

I've already said in the league finish thread that I'd expect us to finish around 6th/7th if we stay healthy on the run-in.

That said, with relegation-threatened teams waking up another stretch like the first 15 games probably sends us down. It isn't the situation of a month ago, where three teams were so hapless that they were gone even though so much of the league was awful. Suddenly, Southampton is in 12th, Watford is winning with ten men and even Villa and West Ham are playing like they want to be here next year. Norwich is now the team that looks dead and buried, and as you point out Bournemouth is going down on form. The question is who will join them.

We know the squad is capable of that kind of stretch (because they've already had one) though we desperately hope that the current manager is too clever to let them. All I'm saying is that it probably makes sense to make some moves with an eye on the short run to make sure that injuries, bad luck and poor morale don't conspire to outdo the manager's wits.

Yes, it was City today. But Ancelotti will now know after 3 games, and watching us closely in the run up to our securing him, who he wont want to trust in the team again for the rest of the season.

IMO he's going to know we are short up front as well as being exposed at CB and stretched in MF.

I think he'll leave MF alone though and just bring in a CB and, if available and maybe on loan, an attacker. We our very 'samey' with our options up front.

I think Cm is our priority tbh. I know we have two to come back but neither of them are quick and they aren’t guaranteed to come back the same player as before , especially Gomes. I can’t think of a slower Cm anywhere on the league then Fairview, siggy and delph. A quick one two , goal side of our Cm and the whole shape gets pulled around everywhere.

Put Bernard back there. I've said it for ages: he's way more of a player to play between the lines than Sigurdsson.

He can take the ball on the spin and come up with a trick to beat his man and break their midfield line. He’s the only one we have that can do it , lookman could also do it and that’s why I wanted to see more of him. I really like Bernie he’s better version of pienar or at least the same type of player just with pace over 10 yards

You’re right it doesn’t need to be a short term fix, it’s just rare quality and value for money is available in January. I believe the midfield that starts next season will be drastically different to this year. Can see Sneiderlin, Delph and possibly Gylfi all gone and replaced with Carlo’s choice of players.

There is always players coming to and end I. Their contracts in jan , the Euros will have fringe players looking for game time to show what they can do to get into their international teams. Loans , pre contracts and special clauses in contracts means deals can always be done

Problem is, when there is a clause like that in a player’s contract, it usually means they are looking for insane wages if they move.

That Haaland has one and just went to Dortmund for 17m. Meetings has one I think I have read and is active for the first 10 days of january. But it’s not just clauses but the fact that players at clubs like Barca etc will have players wanting to play on the hero’s and aren’t getting game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back