January transfer window 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where to put this:

Marcel Brands has confirmed that Everton were interested in making a big move for Luis Diaz back in 2021, only for Rafael Benitez to shoot down the deal that eventually saw his old club Liverpool snap up the brilliant winger.

Diaz joined the Reds in January 2022 from Porto in a deal worth an initial €45million, as Jurgen Klopp jumped ahead of Premier League rivals Tottenham to snatch the 26-year-old.

The attacker has since gone on to score 15 goals in 59 games for Liverpool and struck an emotional 95th-minute equaliser during the 1-1 draw at Luton on Sund

However, things could have turned out very differently for Diaz if he had ended up on the other side of Stanley Park six months prior.

The Toffees wanted to bring in Diaz after he scored 16 goals in 28 appearances for Porto during the 2020/21 season.

However, despite only being appointed that summer, Benitez blocked the Toffees from signing the Colombia international as was “unsure on the player”.

That’s according to former Everton director of football Marcel Brands, who was working alongside Benitez before his departure in December 2021

Brands reveals Benitez error of judgment
He told AD Sportwereld: “My time at Everton was difficult, there was a lot of uncertainty surrounding the Football Club with the changing of Managers.

“I wanted to install my philosophy and structure into the Club which would allow Everton to progress but decisions from above did not allow this. In the Summer of 2021 we were looking to bring in Luis Diaz from Porto, I was working hard in making James Rodriguez go to Porto as part of the deal that would bring Diaz to the Club however Rafael Benitez (Everton Manager at the time) ruled against as he was unsure on the player.

“At this time the Manager held significant clout with the Owner. This was just one example of the difficulties I experienced as Director of Football at Everton. I’m not prepared to speak on the details of how my exit from Everton came about in respect to the Club but I believe under Sean Dyche and Kevin Thelwell the Club can get the stability it so badly needs.”

….as we thought. Remember the Benitez8 lauding his £1.7m transfer dealings.

@Simon Buttle was it you talking about Archie Gray last week?

Were linked to him apparently (Mail) and they value him at £40mil lol

Comes from a good family of footballers, think i remember seeing him before a bad injury.

BINGO

What do I win @Bungle

You win this signed autobiography, in which @Zatara makes many appearances

1699624351568.webp

The 2 Brazilian 18 year olds linked look interesting...Corinthians.
Think the cm cant remember his name tbey want big money for was being libked to chelsea ect.
@Simon Buttle was it you talking about Archie Gray last week?

Were linked to him apparently (Mail) and they value him at £40mil lol

Comes from a good family of footballers, think i remember seeing him before a bad injury.
maybe if leeds dont go up maybe some could be up for sale still think at a big price think gnonto and sumerville will be looked at by many clubs

I’d like us to sign Radu Dragusin from Genoa that Newcastle and Manchester United are apparently interested in. We’d have a very strong central defence if we did, and could potentially get him on the cheap if 777 do become our new overlords, as expected.

We could potentially sell Branthwaite for 800 billion quid, and then replace him with the highly rated Dragusin, and then use the Branthwaite cash to buy some top arse forwards and full backs.

Or, keep Branthwaite and have him play alongside Dragusin, and then sell Onana to fund goal scoring forwards or creative full backs.

We could build a strong squad if we play our cards right!
Yeah could be about to change with newcastle and neves they look to be banning loan for neves. Which could spread out to how multi club teams transfer players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back