2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think it comes down to the fact that we don’t pass the ball. Not that he can’t do it but he doesn’t do it regularly under our management and as such it’s easier to be comfortable with someone who does.

Don’t understand the logic of Dunk over Jarrad. Jarrad has a big future with England and Dunk hasn’t. Also, Jarrad is a better player now

Yep.

On a neutral, objective basis, it makes absolutely no sense. Has a huge future and a very good season vs someone with no international future and an average season. Absolutely bonkers.

Not sure you need bowen and Gordon...
I agree with that I don’t really have a problem with any of the other centre halves being picked ahead of branthwaite it’s not what I would do but it’s not as stupid are people are saying it is but 3 of the 7 dropping out being centre halves seems very strange to me I expected at least one if not two of the attackers who are going to miss out.

It's obvious Southgate doesn't fancy him. He's only put him in the squad because of the media talking about how good he is. He's then barely played him when he's called him up. Dunk gave away 2 goals in one game and is a liability, let's hope he doesn't have to play.

He's young, he'll be a mainstay in that defence for a long time to come.
Southgate is a distinctly average manager with a, despite his protestations, penchant for his older, familiar favourites.
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I really think it comes down to the fact that we don’t pass the ball. Not that he can’t do it but he doesn’t do it regularly under our management and as such it’s easier to be comfortable with someone who does.

Lewis Dunk isn’t exactly a ball playing centre back. Brighton have tried to force him to be one, sure, but that’s resulted in his worst season ever.

At this stage branthwaite is surely nailed on to be leading englands defence for the next 12 years. Baffling that Southgate would exclude instead of at least giving the experience. But I’d start him next to stones in a heartbeat
Southgate is a safety first manager who was a solid centre half, he's never going to play a young untried centre half unless he plays for Crystal Palace.

Dunk and Gomes over Branthwaite is absolutely laughable. Woeful manager Southgate
The Southgate thing is an odd one.

+'s Culture and everything around the team vastly improved, except the football.

-'s
  • I'll never forgive him for the Italy final, utterly gutless.
  • I sort of don't like the way he weasel'd into the job via the youth teams after a very indifferent period as a club manager
  • Although his record at major tournaments is better than anything in my living memory, we rarely hurt big teams in a big competitions. Lost twice to Croatia Belgium in '18, '20 stuttered to final after early promise, didn't really land punches on France in '22.
  • We put away other top 20 teams, we struggle vs top 10. Fundamentally I don't see tactics to unpick these sides, or a will to attack with 5+ players which you need to do

Part of me sort of thinks he's lived out a charmed period in World Football where Germany, Spain, Italy, Holland, have all been bang average at the same time. In that period he couldn't beat Croatia, Belgium, an ageing Italy or an arguably superior France and I think the others are catching up again which makes me worry for this summer but it's not like we need to beat all those teams.

I just don't see who's gonna hurt those big sides in his style of football

BUT PLEAsE PROVE ME WRONG LADS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back