2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of people were thinking Onana would go and we could hang on to Jarrad for another year

It’s just another kick in the balls for 1000th time in 4 years
It is a kick in the balls but honestly anyone who convinced themselves of that was not paying attention. It doesn’t even make that much difference I’m sad to say it’s not like a few years ago when we were trying to compete we’re just trying to stay up and we should be able to do that with a branthwaite replacement as well as we can with him. I don’t like that reality but that’s how it is in truth.

Which was my point in the first place! Everyone knows united had their pants pulled down over maguire so using it as a benchmark is stupid because it’s universally acknowledged as being a terrible deal.
Yes but most of the big 2/3 teams over pay, people mention Anyony, Sancho.
Stones for 47mil 9 years ago is a fairer comparison

£75m was a world record fee for a defender mate, that was over six years ago.....Number said 8 years ago, that's even worse. We are throwing away our future and do you trust us to replace him..honestly ?
We were going to lose him eventually so if we're going down the road of trusting the recruitment team I'd rather lose him now whilst Tarkowski is still in his prime than if his legs fall off this season and we have to replace both in the same summer next year.

We obviously aren't going to be able to replace Branthwaite with someone as good or with potential like his. But no one saw this potential from him till this season either. 70 million is still a top 10 most expensive defender ever. The bigger worry is the fee just get swallowed by stadium/interest costs or Moshiri giving himself a parting gift.

Keep at all costs, unless he wants to leave. We’d be better off accepting another points deduction than selling, unless the fee is ridiculous, and it won’t be. It’d be great to see us dig our heels in, and adopt a keep our best players at all costs policy, but I fear we won’t. United can fook off

We have to give Carlisle United15% of what we get for him. That will be some windfall for them. I hope he stays another season, although it's not looking like it.

Yes but most of the big 2/3 teams over pay, people mention Anyony, Sancho.
Stones for 47mil 9 years ago is a fairer comparison
Yes I agree that is a fairer comparison. I’ve never tried to say we’d be lucky to get 20 mil I’m just saying using maguire as the go to comparison is stupid if anything it’s more likely to make united say well that’s exactly why we’re not paying so much again.

It is a kick in the balls but honestly anyone who convinced themselves of that was not paying attention. It doesn’t even make that much difference I’m sad to say it’s not like a few years ago when we were trying to compete we’re just trying to stay up and we should be able to do that with a branthwaite replacement as well as we can with him. I don’t like that reality but that’s how it is in truth.
Selling both Onana and Branthwaite, possibly Dom. I really don’t think anyone expected that.

The squad was very thin on depth, we could lose the majority of the quality in one sitting as well

Selling both Onana and Branthwaite, possibly Dom. I really don’t think anyone expected that.

The squad was very thin on depth, we could lose the majority of the quality in one sitting as well
I honestly thought everyone expected branthwaite and onana. It’s been so obvious that we need money and that good players would be happy to leave that I just thought everyone accepted that was the case. The hundreds of pages about them both leaving suggest that’s right but it seems like as soon as it’s been reported rather than just assumed people’s heads have gone a bit.

Looking forward to our defence next season, with Keane and Tarkowski in the middle. More Burnley connection signings incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back