2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
His talent earns the club 200m+ a year.

I get it, footballers wages are obscene, but they work in an entertainment industry that has revenues in the billions.

Nobody bats an eyelid when Tom Cruise is paid 20m a movie.
True - but I had a stand up with an old Manc workmate years ago about footballers earnings (recall it was something to do with a ManUre players wage demands) and he tried to impress upon me that golfers and tennis players earned £millions but failed to accept or understand that they have to do it off their own back and that if they have a particularly bad season they may earn very little other than appearance money.

A footie player, however, will get their weekly contracted earnings irrespective of their on field performance or whether they are injured for any length of time. Just look at Dele.

And as far as Tom Cruise is concerned yes he is on mega bucks but built into that pay packet are bonuses paid on the films profitability earnings which, in many cases, can run into £billions.

Yes, it is an entertainment industry thing but perhaps that's why the football industry and it's member clubs are in such a state of financial disarray as evidenced by our own beautiful Club

Reactions: MJA
Its not really meaningless and it doesn't even really matter if the story itself is true because the principle of it will be right and that is that he knows his worth on the open market and so won't be happy to accept less than that its the same for all players.
The thing is do you take whatever extra cash is on offer for 12 months and then move after another successful 12 months? Whether it's the same level as utd offered or not he'll still get sold in a year or two anyway so why not take the extra cash on offer?

The thing is do you take whatever extra cash is on offer for 12 months and then move after another successful 12 months? Whether it's the same level as utd offered or not he'll still get sold in a year or two anyway so why not take the extra cash on offer?
Well if we're going to sell him in a year anyway but are offering him a big pay rise then you'd assume there would be other clauses included in the deal which don't benefit him, otherwise it would be incredibly stupid of us to offer him the increased wage.

Annoying reports being pushed that he won’t entertain a new Everton contract unless it matches United’s £160k per week offer to him.

That £160k is utterly meaningless as they never actually tried to properly buy him. It’s like us offering Gnonto £675k per week and then submitting a £1million offer to Leeds, then him asking Leeds for £675k a week to stay. Rubbish.

Media working overtime to cosy up to United. Why bother? They offer nothing.
Branthwaite has three years left on his contract... none of us expect that he will see out the full term.
I think most believe, as I do , that he won't leave this summer but will leave next summer.
Even if he signs a new contract that will still be what will probably happen.
I am sure the agent will try to build some release clauses in as well and my guess is that his salary will match the top earners.
Which for a player who has already been the subject of 50m bids is not totally unreasonable.
As well if we do give him a large pay rise then the difference between what he gets at Everton compared to what he gets at Utd is not so stark.

We do not want the player to start demanding a move.

Just listening to TalkSort, fella from SkyBet on there saying Branthwaite to Man U by end of window is 1/3, "so looking like a done deal".

I thought that meant there had been some sort of development, but doesn't seem the case at all. Bet365 are offering 3/1 to Man U and 3/10 to stay at Everton.

SkyBet trying to mug off punters to take crap odds by the looks of it.

The relationship between Skybet, Talksport and SSN has always been dodgy.

Same routine always plays out and people still fall for it. They'll regurgitate half baked stuff that wouldn't last 30 seconds on here and because people still believe there is value on what SSN reports, will start taking it seriously

Well if we're going to sell him in a year anyway but are offering him a big pay rise then you'd assume there would be other clauses included in the deal which don't benefit him, otherwise it would be incredibly stupid of us to offer him the increased wage.
That's what happens in the hope we can keep him (not likely imho) plus we should get more for him, I'm saying from branthwaite pov if we're offering more cash and as long as we don't ask him to sign up to a ridiculous selling clause of like £200m then why wouldn't you sign and why wouldn't we offer to try and entice him to stay?

That's what happens in the hope we can keep him (not likely imho) plus we should get more for him, I'm saying from branthwaite pov if we're offering more cash and as long as we don't ask him to sign up to a ridiculous selling clause of like £200m then why wouldn't you sign and why wouldn't we offer to try and entice him to stay?
Yeah I understand what you're saying perfectly well I haven't said he won't sign a new contract i'm just saying that its not true that what he could earn elsewhere is irrelevant because he will be aware of that. Like I said though if we were offering him a new contract it is likely to have clauses in it which protect the club and not him so it might not be worthwhile him signing it thats the whole point of contract negotiations I suppose.

Its funny that Manure have thrown out that story to try and have a laugh....

But in the end its a laugh at their expense. Because what it REALLY says is that Branthwaite wouldn't care about going to Manure vs Everton if he was just paid literally the same.

Agreed. And I would say no way we can afford 160k a week anyway. One more year on 70k a week, hopefully a good season and then i guess we will sell him for a decent profit. He may even decide to stay, moving I to a world class stadium rather than a 1980s dump.
Not sure scummy utd can afford 160k a week anyway they have a leaky roof and new stadium to pay for....

He's not on 70k, he's on 35k mate

Anyways, he has had one really good season in the English top flight. Let him have another and then we will see whether he is worth all the hype. If he does and he is then we can sell him on for even more than currently being suggested. If not, then potentially we will lose money on him but that's what it all comes down to...potential, both in terms of his development and on field performance and his eventual value to another suitor.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, for good or bad

Agreed. And I would say no way we can afford 160k a week anyway. One more year on 70k a week, hopefully a good season and then i guess we will sell him for a decent profit. He may even decide to stay, moving I to a world class stadium rather than a 1980s dump.
Not sure scummy utd can afford 160k a week anyway they have a leaky roof and new stadium to pay for....
Do you really think a footballer cares more about their surroundings than their bank balance? Not a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back