Confirmed Signing Jesper Lindstrom

Its interesting, looking at that, I am wondering why we are so focussed on signing this guy, we really just play with one AM, we played with Doucoure there for most of last season, we have signed Ndiaye for that position already and we are possibly going to re-sign Dele.

My only thought is that maybe the manager is thinking that Ndiaye and Lindstrom can interchange positions during the game, or maybe play Lindstrom off the wing, but more tucked in, so we get more bodies in the box and have the fullbacks provide the crosses on the overlap.
We certainly had the issue last season where too often Dom was isolated in the box when we had the ball, so we do need to find some way to solve that.

I was thinking the same myself mate. I wonder with DCL going that we will play with a false 9 as they say?
Ndiaye and Lindstrom can both play as forwards so interchanging is a good point.

So I saw that on Transfermarkt and it surprised me because every time I saw Lindstrom at Frankfurt (not seen any of him at Napoli), he was playing on the right from what I remember

This seems to back up what I thought:

All I can assume is that Transfermarkt have interpreted this wrong. He played in Glasner's 343/3421 system on the right of the attacking three, but they could be quite narrow, so maybe Transfermarkt have interpreted that as playing as a number 10. All I can tell you is that my eyes in the limited times I saw him, and the position data suggest he was on the right predominantly.

Also, if you go and watch his YouTube highlights from the Frankfurt couple of years he had, most of them seem to have him on the right

He usually starts as an attacking midfielder (AM) (WAM), but he has had the freedom to drift to the wings occasionally. This was the case at both Brøndby and Frankfurt. However, at Napoli, he was deployed as a pure winger with little flexibility to move inward, which was also the case with the national team. This setup does not suit him well. He excels either as a pure AM or as an AM with the flexibility to move to the wing when needed.

Both Frankfurt and Brøndby utilized this strategy to create space, overload, and stretch the defense—similar to how Manchester City uses Kevin De Bruyne, who often drifts to the right wing to deliver crosses. Brøndby, in particular, always played a 4-3-3 formation, which is well-suited for this approach.

However, he was a times employed as a pure winger in Glasners system, maybe you caught those games? He had his best games though as an AM with flexibilty to move to the wings.

Maybe a better term for him is a Wide attacking midfielder, or if we want to get a little more nostalgic, an inside forward.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same myself mate. I wonder with DCL going that we will play with a false 9 as they say?
Ndiaye and Lindstrom can both play as forwards so interchanging is a good point.
I very much doubt it we are the most rigid team in the league as in players remain in their positions, this helps the defensive side of it out knowing what position to take up when we lose the ball, interchanging positions will have Dyche in tears at the thought of someone being out of position.

T
Tend to doubt this will happen. Mostly because Dyche prefers fairly direct football, certainly against sides he perceives to be better than us. You can't really play like that with that sort of attacking set up. You need a focal point or, if you have the players, pace in behind defences that a longer ball can exploit.

Whatever our best team ends up looking like with the various options that seem to be on the table, I'd expect it to have a focal point striker in it. Whether thats Dom, Beto, Chermiti, Broja or whoever else might come in.

If we end up signing Lindstrom and Gnonto (and maybe even offering Dele a contract), it does become quite difficult to work out what our best team would look like but I'm all for that.

I'm struggling to see where he fits in and in what formation. Seems we have too many similar type players when we need out and out wingers. Maybe three at the back would enable us to play more attacking football, but we'd need another CB, maybe O'Brien. It would be interesting to see Dyche try a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2. For me, Garner and Gana need to be in the central midfield, maybe Doucoure is the odd man out. How do we get this lad plus Ndiaye, McNeil, Harrison and at least one striker on the field and in a formation that actually suits everyone's best play style and position.

We needed and wanted footballers who could keep hold of the ball and we're getting them. I assume that Thelwell and Dyche have some sort of plan to fit them all in. I'm just pleased we are targeting young hungry players out to prove themselves.

The Ndiaye and Lindstrom transfers are exactly the type we need and they can both play multiple positions across the forward and attacking mid line. We hopefully will create more and score more.

I'm struggling to see where he fits in and in what formation. Seems we have too many similar type players when we need out and out wingers. Maybe three at the back would enable us to play more attacking football, but we'd need another CB, maybe O'Brien. It would be interesting to see Dyche try a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2. For me, Garner and Gana need to be in the central midfield, maybe Doucoure is the odd man out. How do we get this lad plus Ndiaye, McNeil, Harrison and at least one striker on the field and in a formation that actually suits everyone's best play style and position.
I don't think that's the way to look at it mate.

Put it this way, we will not have N'Diaye, McNeil, Harrison and Lindstrom in the same starting XI unless there are injury problems somewhere.

But there's nothing wrong with that. Last season we had absolutely nothing to change games or vary our approach. It shouldn't be a problem that we can't fit these players into the same team. Same goes if Gnonto comes here too.

I expect we may finally see Gnonto come in this window, so some natural width there (even if he does prefer the left). Would be nice if we actually started at looking at pacy right sided winger for a change.

Why do you say Gnonto prefers playing on the left?

With his skillset I see him (as with Lindstrom) better in the central areas -- unless they cut inside from out wide.

It's basically more of a front three, dare I say it like Liverpool and mobile fullbacks to give more width.

No chance Sean Dyche plays with a false 9.

It's also why I can't understand the glee from some that DCL might leave.

He's the ideal Dyche CF.

If we went for Gnonto as well then surely we'd be looking at a narrow 3 behind the centre forward?

McNeil, Gnonto, Harrison, Ndiaye & Lindstrom all seem to be best coming inside (between wing and centre) and driving directly to goal. Especially with the likes of Lindstrom, Ndiaye and Gnonto (if he signs) being really good in tight spaces.

None of them are wingers that stand on the touchine and motor down the chalk.

I reckon we'll be going 4231
GK:Pickford
LB: Mykolenko
LCB: Branthwaite
RCB: Tarkowski
RB: Patterson
CM: Gana
CM: Garner
LACM: Gnonto
ACM: Ndiaye
RACM: Lindstrom
CF:

So, if thats the case (it may well not be) then why would DCL be effective? As his game would rely on crosses.

Surely we'll be resorting to punting it up to him with the 3 behind swarming onto his knock downs?

The other starting option being Beto who could also be effective if the initial ball forward was aimed on the ground at the 3 ACMs.

It certainly sounds like Dyche to go the DCL way, using a high press in defensive actions.

That would explain the need to have multiple attacking players as they would need to be freauently rotated as they'll be cream crackered every game.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back