Joel Robles

Status
Not open for further replies.
He been good so far, I'm not sure if he good enough for us for the next few years. He got the rest of the season to convince the management

In fairness mate, I don't think either Karius or Zieler were as highly rated in Germany as they were on this forum, and I believe that was reflected in their respective transfer fees.

of the other two you mentioned, Leno, in particular, is top class imo, but why would he come here when he is getting regular CL football at his current club. Horn is a level below but I wouldn't be unhappy were we to acquire his signature. He and Joel would be excellent competition for each other.

But how much would he cost?. IF Joel continues his current form for the rest of the season, do we have enough of a transfer budget to lay out £30m+ on a keeper when so many other area's need improving?.

In hindsight, I'm pleased that we didn't panic buy a keeper in January as robles has earned this opportunity to show what he can do. Here's hoping he can keep it going for the rest of the season and save us some money in the summer. Like you say, it's a long tome since I've felt this level of confidence in one of our keepers, but injury and confidence have a habit of nipping you in the butt when you least expect it.

Yes all that is fair. The question is how much would it cost. I do believe we are in a situation that resources aren't a problem per se, if Leno agreed to come Moshiri would make it happen. However next season we want to be changing as little as possible and focussing on quality in areas more desperate. Left sided player, centre half in particular.

I remember a similar transformation with Myhre who after a promising start fell short. Maybe Robles will follow suit, but he has done very well so far and deserves a run. If he continues this form and adds another 6/7 clean sheets before the end of the season he will have earnt a crack at number 1 next season.

He needs a longer run of games to convince me, I still remember his Krasnodar game.

He's done well, but we need to give him more time. Steklenburg after a few games was called world class than after a few dodgy moments he was crap again. The same could happen with Robles and the fans would turn on him in a flash.

Yes thats a fair point. He was awful up until his run in the second season, and he just seemed to flourish there after. It's like watching a different goalkeeper really. If he continues with a clean sheet every other game until the summer would you re-evaluate?

His form this season HAS been top class though. How long does he need to continue that form to be considered top class. End of the season? Or maybe even end of next season.

Who we talking about? Robles? If so .... I asked the same question before... I asked what else can he do to get people to trust him and eventually recognise him as a gods keeper... all I can think of is that he just needs to keep doing what he's doing... I rate him and I have completely changed my opinion that I had after his first games for us

I think this is the territory we are getting to with Joel now. His clean sheets record is very good, he calms the defence in front of him and makes me calm watching us. I remember in his second season, coming into a side that was completely all over the place defensively he kept something daft like 3 consecutive clean sheets. It was the only timer under Martinez we looked like we wouldn't conceede.

This is a lad who at youth level was ahead of De Gea. Now I doubt he will ever get to that level, and it it almost Kopite levels of delusion to suggest that he automatically will. However goalkeepers tend to peak at different moments and some do develop later, as they grow into their bodies somewhat.

For what is a youngish goalkeeper getting his first proper run his record of clean sheets and other stats are massively impressive. I believe he will continue to improve (and will need too) but people play down just how well he's been playing for us.

Our alternatives in the summer are to go and buy an elite goalkeeper. Could we entice away someone like a Lloris? I highly doubt it. Or we get a prospect. As indicated I like Butland, there are likes like Horn or Leno from Germany. However having seen Karuis and Feiler similarly highly rated from Germany struggle to adapt are they significantly better than Joel? Likewise Butland post injury, is he that much better than Joel?

I don't wax lyrical over goalkeepers. I am a tough judge. The only one I've seen for us better than Joel was Martyn (I only got the end of Southall).

The end of southall was still better than any keeper I have seen since... martyn is the only one that comes close so far

....contract up at the end of next season. His form suggests a new one will be offered but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't sign, certainly without assurances we are not bringing another keeper in. If he doesn't sign a new contract you would think the club will try and move him on in the summer.

....contract up at the end of next season. His form suggests a new one will be offered but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't sign, certainly without assurances we are not bringing another keeper in. If he doesn't sign a new contract you would think the club will try and move him on in the summer.
Would be a big mistake imo. Struggle to see who we could realistically bring in that's better than Robles on current form. Lukaku, Barkley, Robles are the three contract situations we should concentrate on getting sorted.

Unless Joe Hart becomes available then Joel is absolutely earning his place as number one. Even then I'd start Joel and push Joe to challenge for the number one spot. Joel has huge potential.
Hart cannot catch a ball, he does not command his area, and his ball distribution is as accurate as pissing in a colander.
Throwing money away on buying him.

Who we talking about? Robles? If so .... I asked the same question before... I asked what else can he do to get people to trust him and eventually recognise him as a gods keeper... all I can think of is that he just needs to keep doing what he's doing... I rate him and I have completely changed my opinion that I had after his first games for us

For a start, he shouldn't have been signed by Martinez, or played for Wigan... That's on him.

Also, he should never have ever made a mistake before. That kind of thing ruins careers.

And he should have started his career as the finished article. He should have had a much greater level of experience at a higher level, and still kept on improving at the rate he has.

In short, he should be the world's 1st impenetrable goalkeeper, and he should still have been cheap enough and low profile enough that he would gladly come and wait patiently for his chance at Everton.

If he can go back and fix all of this, most people will be sound with him.

Until he tells the street end to calm down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.