Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its for the sake of it, were not a selling club at all, we use to be but those days are gone. Like you say, some people havent moved on since 2004.
Liverpool are a selling club but that is more to do with having a shocking manager you wouldnt want to play for, no reason for any Everton fan to worry about the club shifting players, players wanting to go is another story (Felliani), but it sounds like with Stones we dont have to worry.

None story.

I do hope you are right.

Pleasing statement from Martinez even though it reminded me of Moyes having a pop at City in their pursuit of Lescott. And we know how that ended.

But wait.....now Jose 3 balls Mourinho has upped the ante and is making statements to media trying to deliberately unsettle the player. Feck right off with that you loathsome arrogant tit.

Hope we can hang on to him if only to spite Chelsea but realistically it is a battle we will lose.

Having said that, the asking price has just doubled.
Key differences though that we were in a much worse position financially and that Lescott wanted to move - much harder to refuse large bids like the 22m for Lescott when you know that you'll have an unhappy and possibly disruptive player on your hands.

Stones at least so far seems happy to stay, probably to ensure he gets in the Euro team, so unless Chelsea bid silly money hopefully that will mean we turn them down.

Key differences though that we were in a much worse position financially and that Lescott wanted to move - much harder to refuse large bids like the 22m for Lescott when you know that you'll have an unhappy and possibly disruptive player on your hands.

Stones at least so far seems happy to stay, probably to ensure he gets in the Euro team, so unless Chelsea bid silly money hopefully that will mean we turn them down.

Not sure it's that different Legs.

Lescott didn't want to move until he knew of City's interest in him. Also we are still in a position financially that if we want to bring in quality players we will have to sell a quality player to do so. The TV money has all been earmarked to pay towards one of the club's 15 or so mortgages as far as I can understand.

I've just seen Mourinho on TV telling me that that "the problem is between Everton and Stones." There wouldn't be a problem if he hadn't created it like. I'm fuming with him now tbh. He is also trying to suggest that it's up to Martinez what happens next, when the fact is that what he needs to do is sweet f.a.

This won't end well.

He didn't really rule the sale out at all did he? Said he was disappointed in Chelsea and avoided the other questions really. It should've been a categorical no.
When the reporter asked "so whatever Chelsea come back with it won't make any difference to you" he shook his head several times and said "we are not a selling club in that respect".

Seemed pretty emphatic to me but doubt he can state "we won't sell him at any price" because we probably would if a stupidly high bid came in, most clubs would.

When the reporter asked "so whatever Chelsea come back with it won't make any difference to you" he shook his head several times and said "we are not a selling club in that respect".

Seemed pretty emphatic to me but doubt he can state "we won't sell him at any price" because we probably would if a stupidly high bid came in, most clubs would.

The 'we are not a selling club' thing just seemed like a bit of a vague, beat around the bush type answer to me. Just flat out tell them no. There's no way they'll offer enough in this window to warrant us selling him anyway, the saga may as well end right now.

Not sure it's that different Legs.

Lescott didn't want to move until he knew of City's interest in him. Also we are still in a position financially that if we want to bring in quality players we will have to sell a quality player to do so. The TV money has all been earmarked to pay towards one of the club's 15 or so mortgages as far as I can understand.

I've just seen Mourinho on TV telling me that that "the problem is between Everton and Stones." There wouldn't be a problem if he hadn't created it like. I'm fuming with him now tbh. He is also trying to suggest that it's up to Martinez what happens next, when the fact is that what he needs to do is sweet f.a.

This won't end well.
You think the bid is going to turn john's head? Might be wrong but don't think it will, the lad seems to have a long term plan of England captaincy in mind and at least for the next year that goal is probably best served by regular first team appearances in a setup he knows to ensure he makes the Euros. He'll have enough confidence in himself to believe that the offers will still be there next summer, if not from Chelsea then from someone else.

In contrast Lescott was 27 and in his peak years, same as Mirallas, if you are going to make a big money move it probably makes sense to do it then as you are unlikely to get many further offers.

As for the money side it is always hard to tell but the recent statements suggest we are at least in a better position in that we don't have to sell to survive which we were rumoured to be with Arteta a few years after Lescott left.

You think the bid is going to turn john's head? Might be wrong but don't think it will, the lad seems to have a long term plan of England captaincy in mind and at least for the next year that goal is probably best served by regular first team appearances in a setup he knows to ensure he makes the Euros. He'll have enough confidence in himself to believe that the offers will still be there next summer, if not from Chelsea then from someone else.

In contrast Lescott was 27 and in his peak years, same as Mirallas, if you are going to make a big money move it probably makes sense to do it then as you are unlikely to get many further offers.

As for the money side it is always hard to tell but the recent statements suggest we are at least in a better position in that we don't have to sell to survive which we were rumoured to be with Arteta a few years after Lescott left.

I think that every player wants to play in a team that is challenging for the title and the CL, and one that will treble his wages. Can't complain about it - any player would do it.

Financially yes we are not in as dire straits as we once were - i.e. having to find a quick £10m to keep the bank at bay. But we are still in a position where we will have to sell to significantly strengthen, just as we did last season.

Mourinho doesn't do one-to-one TV interviews about a player unless it is part of an orchestrated plan to procure him. Money talks and there is nothing we can do about it unless we are in similar financial good health.

I think that every player wants to play in a team that is challenging for the title and the CL, and one that will treble his wages. Can't complain about it - any player would do it.

Financially yes we are not in as dire straits as we once were - i.e. having to find a quick £10m to keep the bank at bay. But we are still in a position where we will have to sell to significantly strengthen, just as we did last season.

Mourinho doesn't do one-to-one TV interviews about a player unless it is part of an orchestrated plan to procure him. Money talks and there is nothing we can do about it unless we are in similar financial good health.
Lukaku didn't a year ago and for much the same reasons as I can see John not pushing for the move - at that age regular playing time in a team he is happy in can be more valuable to an ambitious player than cash is.

All I know is if Sterling is worth £49m we should come out of this alright. I know defenders don't command the same fees as attackers but no player is bigger than the club, if his head gets turned (and why wouldn't it) then just get the best price and move on.

No club is immune from it. Suarez, Ronaldo, Fabregas, it happens as the highest levels.

The lad's top class and I'd love to keep him, but only if his hearts here.

He opened his mouth and we have no reason to believe he isn't speaking truthfully. I have belief in Roberto but I will evaluate the situation in September 1st and make a final decision then.

Roberto had a dream...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back