Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because with wise managment we could get 2 or 3 very good players if we get big money for stones.

My point however is that selling a player (i have big doubt if he's our best/key player yet) is not the end of the world and we could actually benefit from it

and at what point do you stop just selling your best players whenever anyone wants them?

There's two ways to look at this. Personally I want us to keep our best players as long as possible and build teams around them.

The other way is to look at it similar to Lyon around 10 years ago. They would sell players when they peaked and replace them with top quality young players, then sell those players when they peaked, etc. That method allowed them to bring in massive money and ended with them being CL regulars for a good few years. They regularly got past the group stages of the CL.

We could sell, for example, Coleman, Stones and McCarthy for a combined £80mill having spent £16mill in total on them.

Like I said, I'd rather we kept all our best players but if we had a strategy of buying young and selling when they reached their potential we'd at least know what to expect. It might be an alternative to carrying on waiting for a takeover too.

Leftfield idea is Mourinho doesn't want Stones this season anyways and put a low ball offer in to irritate us, now is pushing us to make a statement he's not for sale, Stones stays here another year as a starter getting experience rather than in and out the Chelsea squad, United and other interesting parties don't bid on him this season forcing Chelseas hand to get him earleir than they have planned and next year Chelsea put their serious bid in

Conspiracy theory i know :P

There's two ways to look at this. Personally I want us to keep our best players as long as possible and build teams around them.

The other way is to look at it similar to Lyon around 10 years ago. They would sell players when they peaked and replace them with top quality young players, then sell those players when they peaked, etc. That method allowed them to bring in massive money and ended with them being CL regulars for a good few years. They regularly got past the group stages of the CL.

We could sell, for example, Coleman, Stones and McCarthy for a combined £80mill having spent £16mill in total on them.

Like I said, I'd rather we kept all our best players but if we had a strategy of buying young and selling when they reached their potential we'd at least know what to expect. It might be an alternative to carrying on waiting for a takeover too.
just risky. you have to keep hitting on that young talent to make that work. also much easier to get CL in ligue 1 than the BPL but I do see your point. Porto does something similar but they churn out top talent non-stop, we have a good youth system but miles behind theres

That's fine if you can guarantee the manager will find said quality youngsters...but if they don't come good it all falls down and you're left with a poor team and no cash...bit too risky for me with our current manager...Moyes maybe

Bidding for any of their players will just make us look small time. Do we really want Fabrigas or somebody coming out and publicly saying "As if I'd move to Everton". Plus then what happens when they retaliate and start unsettling our other player's to spite us. Just tell them, not this summer. Try again in a year or two and every time you make a bid we deem derisory it's another 10/15 million to the price tag. They know we would never accept a bid of £20 million. It was more a bid to see how Stones would react. They hoped he'd ask for a transfer once he knew they were in for him. So now you know it won't work, jog on

How do you give someone double thumbs up?

Nearly every club sell their best players except maybe 4-5 ? I know it's cruel but that's reality

Disagree mate, a lot of teams sell some of their better players in order to keep hold of the one's they REALLY don't wanna sell, for us i'd list Stones, Lukaku, Barkley, Mccarthy, Browning and Galloway, Kenney and Ledson as the one who cannot be sold, all others have their price and if it ensures that those 4 first listed stayed then could be sacrificed to that end, with obviously us getting a lot of money in to reinvest lol

If we are serious about keeping him we need to give him a new contract with improved wages.

That's the catch atm mate, to keep hold of the really talented players we have we can effectively be forced into renegotiating with them every year to give them higher wages, eventually we will screw our wage structure up massively doing so...

So with Stones to Chelsea, Mirallas to West Ham and McCarthy to Spurs who are we signing with the £50m+ we will get in for them?

just risky. you have to keep hitting on that young talent to make that work. also much easier to get CL in ligue 1 than the BPL but I do see your point. Porto does something similar but they churn out top talent non-stop, we have a good youth system but miles behind theres

I agree, it's risky but it's an option. Selling those players for £80ish million, spending £20mill on replacing those 3 would leave us with £60mill for a number 10! Or £25mill on one player and £35mill on more top quality youngsters. Realistically it's the only way we could spend big money on players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back