Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
30m is good value. Just potential at the moment.

2rgl7j5.png

At his age, yes, I would say it is still potential.
Normally I would agree, but when I think his performances up to now combined with his composure I think he is already a good defender.

Yes he is young and still has a lot to learn (occasionally makes mistakes), yet overall he seems comfortable playing consistently at this level.

Based on that, Chelsea will not be paying for a lad who needs a few years to adapt to the rigours of PL life. He's already there.

The potential is simply where he can reach in terms of how good he is - top domestic or European defender? Or even in the higher echelons?

John seems a level headed lad (good ol' Yorkshire boy) who is comfortable and confident at Everton. That puts the ball in our court.

We do not want nor arguably need to sell and he may not actually want to leave. That has to put the bracket in the £30m plus... if not more.

He will not simply walk into the Chelsea squad, however I am sure he'd be competing with Cahill and Zouma relatively quickly.

I am confused by this also. Isn't he a starting centreback for Everton in the Premier league. That's says more than just potential to me.

While he's with us he'll always be just 'potential' in the eyes of the media, etc, if he went to Chelsea, he'll be one of the best defenders in Europe after a few games in the eyes of the media, and they'll say that was because of Mourinho.

The point is Mr Ultimate, that while Everton run by Bill Kenwright or any of the majority of clubs are not run by billionaires or at least multi multi millionaires, it will always be the case that the top three or four billionaire clubs will be able to do this. There is a 'food chain' in football now, based on the value of a clubs backing, with a few English clubs near the top, and with even them topped by some European top names. Once the really big money came into the game from outside sources....be it big business, global tv, American franchisers or whatever else, it was always going to happen.

Thats a load of tish.

There is so much money in the game that clubs can afford to refuse the likes of Chelsea.

What Mourinho is hinting at is Stones to go knocking on Kenwrights door with a box of Kleenex for him and beg him to let him go to Chelsea as the Everton board has navigated us into a position of mediocrity with next to no hope of winning a cup.

Thats a load of tish.

There is so much money in the game that clubs can afford to refuse the likes of Chelsea.

Smaller clubs might be able to refuse the likes of Chelsea, but that doesn't close the wage gap. That difference still remains.

Edit: Poor choice of words on my part. Smaller clubs was referring to clubs without a billionaire owner and nothing more.

Last edited:
The stats have always backed up how good he is. He's young & English. I'd expect nothing less than what Sterling went for. Or I'd rather Real, bayern, ect bought him. I'd cry seeing him in the premiership against us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back