Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll need to buy two central defenders with that 30m and the exponential likelihood that one or both are a bust. We're better off not selling, however many times you shake the tree. Even 50m. Seriously. Especially when we've got a manager that doesn't seem to know what a good defender looks like. He started Alcaraz over Stones in the must win game in Kiev. (mind you he started Atsu in that game too - one of many reasons this manager has got a lot of work to do as far as making me happy as a fan).

Lots of talk of us selling our best players and buying worse players. I predicted a gradual worsening of the team post Moyes. First season proved me wrong, second season proved me right.

We'll need to buy two central defenders with that 30m and the exponential likelihood that one or both are a bust. We're better off not selling, however many times you shake the tree. Even 50m. Seriously. Especially when we've got a manager that doesn't seem to know what a good defender looks like. He started Alcaraz over Stones in the must win game in Kiev. (mind you he started Atsu in that game too - one of many reasons this manager has got a lot of work to do as far as making me happy as a fan).

Lots of talk of us selling our best players and buying worse players. I predicted a gradual worsening of the team post Moyes. First season proved me wrong, second season proved me right.

Well Stones was on his way to Wigan before we stepped in so he can't be completely useless at buying defenders as you're suggesting .

Last edited:
Yeah I'd be gutted and we'd have no chance of keeping the player but I'm not sure I'd be outraged at the method of the bids or it becoming public.

I'm not trolling and I probably shouldn't have said anything but it just struck me as any other transfer. As I said i hope he stays with you and develops into a regular starter for England
The past few years we have had excellent relations between the two clubs so this move to go public with the first bid and put pressure on via the media is probably seen as a bit of a snide move by someone you considered, if not a friend, at least someone you could trust not to resort to games from the start.

Man City have got a billionaire,are they now bigger than the blues,they can only dream of our history,I get what you meant

It infuriates me dealing with these premier league fans in work who measure wealth as a yardstick to a clubs stature rather than honours and tradition
Honours , and tradition do not carry that much weight v Billionaire owners - fact!

The past few years we have had excellent relations between the two clubs so this move to go public with the first bid and put pressure on via the media is probably seen as a bit of a snide move by someone you considered, if not a friend, at least someone you could trust not to resort to games from the start.
Ah right I didn't know that. I don't agree with the morality of it but this isn't exclusive to Chelsea or Mourinho

How many of us reckon that Stones will be gone if a bid of over £30m comes in?

I reckon he will be off with the blessing of the board.

Over 30 million? I think so too. That's silly money for a defender. I mean, I really love Stones of course and I recognise he has huge potential, but think about how much you can get out of that kind of money if you invest it wisely. The fact that he is English just makes him even more valuable... generally I'd say too that it makes sense for us to keep him at least for the next season, but if a huge offer is tabled, well, you have to seize the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back