Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't it Moyes who bought Stones?

Yes, but Wigan were interested.

Probably.

Wigan had an offer accepted before we did and he was in a car on his way over there for talks before Moyes stepped in.

He was on Martinez's radar clearly.

‘It was a strange feeling being at Everton yet having him as my manager,’ Stones reflected. ‘We said, “we are together now, we are at the same club, so let’s move forward”.

‘I hadn’t spoken to him personally when I turned down Wigan but it was good knowing we had the chance to work with each other in the end.

‘A lot of people said he rated me, which was good to know. I just felt I needed to earn my spot as every player does. I had to work hard to get a place in the team and that is what I’ve done. It’s the same for everyone. He doesn’t favour anyone; he treats everyone the same.’

Stones on Martinez back in April of last year.

Ok, he has a point about Everton not shutting the door in his face completely. But the annoying thing about his statement was when he jibes that if it happens to him he simply says no and that's the end of the matter. He knows full well that Chelsea can afford to turn down offers for his players but that the pressure on a club like Everton to deny a player a move and/or turn down massive cash is something he never has to contend with. The last time he faced that problem was at Porto.

He's a just a latin Brian Clough wannabe without the morality.

Thanks for doing Liverpool a couple of seasons back, Jose, but feel free to put your head in a blender.

Great football manager but he has exposed his lack of class yet again by doing a TV interview to tell us we have a problem which he created. I couldn't imagine Martinez doing that in a million years nor most other managers for that matter.

His classlessness tends to reappear whenever things aren't going his way.

God I hope we can keep him even if its just to spite Mourinho/SKY/the meejah,and see the spin they would take on it then,probably Stones isn't good enough or lacks ambition to play for one of their beloved "big four"I'll bet.

Great football manager but he has exposed his lack of class yet again by doing a TV interview to tell us we have a problem which he created. I couldn't imagine Martinez doing that in a million years nor most other managers for that matter.

It's bullying.

Shorn of all the 'Jose's just made a quip and pointed out the contradictions and hypocrisy in other peoples position' stuff, it's just a soft get throwing his weight around because he's backed up by an oligarch's bank account.

Agree. If he has to go though, I would rather sell him to Utd then. Fook Mourinho

I dont think Martinez should be seen as buying poor defenders...hes signed one donkey and one future star.

I just think he wants players who can bring the ball out...like stones who he wanted at wigan.

I don't see what Martinez is getting so upset about.

This is what happens in football and I bet that we have tried to unsettle players in an effort to get them to sign for us.

If Chelsea bid in excess of £30 million the board will accept.

A centre half no matter how good he is cannot influence a match - he is only as good as his fellow centre half.

If Chelsea offered £30 million plus Bamford I would do the deal.

I dont think Martinez should be seen as buying poor defenders...hes signed one donkey and one future star.

I just think he wants players who can bring the ball out...like stones who he wanted at wigan.

Here's the list of defender sign by Martinez
Ronnie Stam
Gary Caldwell
Antonio Amaya
Adrian Lopez
Antolin Alcarez (twice)
Rob Kierman
Ivan Ramis
Eduard Campabadal

Moyes signing during the same period.
Jagielka
Coleman
Baines
Garbutt
Stones
Korldrop
Oviedo
distin
mustafi
duffy
lescott

Last edited:

Ronnie Stam
Gary Caldwell
Antonio Amaya
Adrian Lopez
Antolin Alcarez (twice)
Rob Kierman
Ivan Ramis
Eduard Campabadal

Jagielka
Coleman
Baines
Garbutt
Stones
Korldrop
Oviedo
distin
mustafi
duffy

That is scary :(

Lost me a bit there...wigan compared to everton signings?

Ronnie Stam
Gary Caldwell
Antonio Amaya
Adrian Lopez
Antolin Alcarez (twice)
Rob Kierman
Ivan Ramis
Eduard Campabadal

Jagielka
Coleman
Baines
Garbutt
Stones
Korldrop
Oviedo
distin
mustafi
duffy

Ronnie Stam
Gary Caldwell
Antonio Amaya
Adrian Lopez
Antolin Alcarez (twice)
Rob Kierman
Ivan Ramis
Eduard Campabadal

Jagielka
Coleman
Baines
Garbutt
Stones
Korldrop
Oviedo
distin
mustafi
duffy
Surely Roberto has got Moyes phone number

Who is the future star? The lad from Wycombe or whoever we picked him up from?

Soz btw, been a long day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back