Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we rejected the Baines/Felli bid the club issued a statement only at the last minute saying that as usual they dont want to go public with bids which affect preparation.

The Echo couldn't wait to get this out...

He's speaking generally, and he's right. Look at the cost of English talent - Shaw, Sterling...

He's not right in suggesting that it's the sole reason why there is not enough 'raw English talent' in the 'big' clubs' ranks, though - that's gotta be largely down to how sh*tty football is becoming in regards to former oligarchs bankrolling clubs like Chelski (fast-tracking them to their current status as an arguably 'bigger' club than Everton) and enabling them to monopolise talent across Europe... giving them less incentive to have a productive local academy to draw from.

He's a great manager but also a wee blurt who knows how to play the 'games' (also extends to his players - see last season's fixture) - but our stance/response can be very simple and concise to this...

Club and player are far too quiet for me. If he is unsettled it reminds me of Lescott and that awful game he played before his move. EFC should have Chelsea over a barrel here, unfortunately our club lacks the business acumen to come out as winners.
It doesn't take much business acumen to refuse an offer.

Dirty tricks from Chelsea in full flow.

Always the same the top club comes in waves money that is how they stay at the top.

Don't forget Mourinho screwed us over the Rom deal.

He's not right in suggesting that it's the sole reason why there is not enough 'raw English talent' in the 'big' clubs' ranks, though - that's gotta be largely down to how sh*tty football is becoming in regards to former oligarchs bankrolling clubs like Chelski (fast-tracking them to their current status as an arguably 'bigger' club than Everton) and enabling them to monopolise talent across Europe... giving them less incentive to have a productive local academy to draw from.

He's a great manager but also a wee blurt who knows how to play the 'games' (also extends to his players - see last season's fixture) - but our stance/response can be very simple and concise to this...
Spot on that. Stones is our player. If Chelsea want him they pay what we want for him Or he stays. Mourinho can say what he wants in the press. Nothing has changed. Pay up or shut up.

Why doesn't the 'Cheque-book Coach' develop some home grown talent?

Since he has bought about 50 under 20 year olds then loans them out only to sell them off at a profit to get pat ffp why dosent he play some of then instead of blaming the likes of us and southampton why there is no english talent at the 'big' clubs.
For some reason the press lap up everything he says, whereas in spain & italy they couldnt stand him as the fella is a walking contradiction

God it's depressing being an Evertonian lately.

What a sad state of affairs when there is a sense of inevitability that we simply cannot hold onto our stars, the bigger clubs with money behind them will simply come along and cherry pick them. Do you ever wonder what is the point of devoting so much time and money to Everton, we can't hold onto our stars to build and become stronger, we will simply always have a season or two of our star players being boss and then the money clubs will take them off our hands.

Stones, McCarthy and Mirallas, arguably our 3 highest quality players are currently being linked with moves away. I simply don't believe we can reinvest (or I don;t trust Martinez to do it), we'll never make progress if we keep selling off our assets.

Blah blah blah, i'm obviously in a bad mood today. Whatever, do what you want Everton, I have no influence over what you do, i'm just tagging along for the ride, whether I like it or not.

The pessimism is strong with this one.

I don't believe that for a minute. As long as we are scouting correctly there are foreign CB'S available at a fraction of the price Stones will go for. The ones mentioned were lauded as being the next big thing, ala Stones so they will command big fees. We have not and never will shop for these players unless we get bought by a billionaire. There are players out there, it just means that the scouts etc are going to have to earn their money. I do agree that British centre backs come at a premium mind and we will be wise to possibly look abroad.
Got any examples as to who you mean? Just trying to think of other clubs CB signings over the past couple of years and the only decent one for a good fee that I can recall is Eric Dier for 4m and he hasn't even really shone yet.

Jags and Distin were great buys but they were still 4m and 5m in 2006 and 2009 - prices have inflated a lot since then.

Sorry, those comments from Mourinho are disgraceful, whether you think they're true or not.

He's taking cheap digs because he's clearly not getting his own way.

I take heart in a way, because if it were a done deal he wouldn't be resorting to such classless tactics.

Everton should tell him to do one. Why would you want to do business with someone disrespecting the club to that degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back