Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that play regularly do.... he has a very small list of players he trusts though and even then you can be thrown on the scrapheap pretty quickly.

That's what I mean though. Even when players are leaving Chelsea, the press never make much of a deal about it. There's certainly never any sensational stories about clubs coming in for their stars.

He's got the media in his pocket.

Would be perfect come derby time with us, particularly given how he loathes that lot.

As I said, I'd love to have him here. Seems to be able to get the most out of players and is very pragmatic.
He knows how to not lose is probably the best way to describe him, and his teams play very effective football. Not always pretty but always effective.
Have mixed feeling about him tbh, superb manager at getting results but as you say not always pretty and personally prefer a manger who brings through young players and is a bit more long term.

Have mixed feeling about him tbh, superb manager at getting results but as you say not always pretty and personally prefer a manger who brings through young players and is a bit more long term.
I'd quite like us to win something, at the moment we have enough quality players to do it barring perhaps a few more additions yet to come thins window.
We haven't won anything for 20 years now, which needs to change.
Personally I think if he came here he'd promote some youth players, simply because he'd need to as a result of the financial constraints we operate under, and also because we have a very promising crop of youth players.
Different situation in Chelsea where he can just throw money around and bring in whoever.

I'd quite like us to win something, at the moment we have enough quality players to do it barring perhaps a few more additions yet to come thins window.
Personally I think if he came here he'd promote some youth players, simply because he'd need to as a result of the financial constraints we operate under, and also because we have a very promising crop of youth players.
Different situation in Chelsea where he can just throw money around and bring in whoever.

It's why we will never attract a manager of his caliber...we have to hire young and hope they sort it out.

But he wouldn't go to a club with financial restraints in the first place, part of the reason he left Chelsea the first time was because of disagreements about the money on offer for signings wasn't it?

Anyhow this probably should be in the Mourinho thread that @roydo and @the esk cleaned up after @chicoazul pretended to be a muslim woman and argued with a Chelsea fan ;)

How can the independent state as fact "John Stones would like to move to Chelsea to further his career and hopes Everton will consider selling him this summer." without even providing a source?

Hope that journo got slated for that. Absolute joke.

How can the independent state as fact "John Stones would like to move to Chelsea to further his career and hopes Everton will consider selling him this summer." without even providing a source?

Hope that journo got slated for that. Absolute joke.
At least they've come right out and said 'John Stones would like to move'.
The Guardian's choice of passive with its 'is understood to want to move' and 'is believed to be keen on a move' is more cowardly.

'Understood' by whom? 'Believed' by whom?

The implication is that some anonymous agent (in the linguistic sense and maybe in the football sense) understands, or believes that Stones would prefer to be a Chelsea player. At the same time this gives the writer/editor wriggling space if there is any comeback (not that there ever is). They can claim they meant 'it would be understandable if Stones wanted to go to Chelsea'

The Independent can obviously fall back on the old 'we can't name our sources' chestnut. Whereas the Guardian don't even need to be protective. There's nobody to protect. More subtle, as I said, more cowardly and just as damaging.

My question at this point in the thread, and Gday John btw, is how would you react to your suitor, and lets say he's had no contact with them whatsoever, imploring their media mouthpieces to run with such an unsubstantiated nugget of information to jimmy you out of the club.

And speculating on the source of the rumour ofcourse... Pretending that your own Agent hadn't actually leaked it himself, would that endear you to them, or would a tactic of putting words in your mouth put you off moving there?

José willing to best British transfer record for a defender..

Bye John!!

.....as usual, he's being clever getting it into everybody's mindset that £34m will be the offer accepted. He also says 'small clubs hold out for these amounts which is fine'. Unless they pay £40m I would chase him. We know how good he is and if we are right there will be a bidding war this time next year. Mourinho knows this, Ferguson knew this when he pitched in early for Rooney.

Like the rest of us, as an Evertonian I'm not naive enough to think he will definitely be here when the window closes but I find this all a tad weird.

Weird, in the sense that Stones has come out and said he's very happy at the club. But then the independent of all papers is reporting that he wants to move.

This statement just doesn't seem to fit the personality of Stones who, each and every time I've seen him in an interview, states how much he enjoys being at Everton, wants to stay and improve.

Generally, I don't think there is smoke without fire, even in the ridiculous tabloid papers. Of course there is the odd snippet which is just to fill empty space, but in the main I think agents and intermediaries do tip off the papers. I think McCarthy is annoyed by his contract, and I think Stones has intimidated to someone that he'd want to chat to Chelsea "just to see what's on offer".

Massive shame if we lose him, but we will still be Everton without him.

My question at this point in the thread, and Gday John btw, is how would you react to your suitor, and lets say he's had no contact with them whatsoever, imploring their media mouthpieces to run with such an unsubstantiated nugget of information to jimmy you out of the club.

And speculating on the source of the rumour ofcourse... Pretending that your own Agent hadn't actually leaked it himself, would that endear you to them, or would a tactic of putting words in your mouth put you off moving there?

....it would be naive to think Stones isn't attracted by the proposition of playing for the Champions, working with Mourinho, living in London, earning £100k + per week and pocketing a £4m signing fee. I also think it likely that he has been sounded out about the move but might be wrong on that one.

....it would be naive to think Stones isn't attracted by the proposition of playing for the Champions, working with Mourinho, living in London, earning £100k + per week and pocketing a £4m signing fee. I also think it likely that he has been sounded out about the move but might be wrong on that one.

Is it abit underhanded though? How would you react if you found out things were being said that you didn't say?

Has he come out and said anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back