Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just me and Dougie so far

I can't see a better way to handle this at the moment. He's our player we've told them in the correct and dignified manner that we don't want to sell and rejected their offer. We'll continue to reject any offers until Chelsea either get so desperate they'll make an offer that's impossible to turn down or they just accept our position.

Opening a public dialogue would only have been seen as a sign of weakness by Mourinho, he'll have goaded us into playing his little charade. It wouldn't have stopped them bidding more and it wouldn't have prevented him talking more about the transfer and John Stones. No doubt Martinez will get asked again in his next press conference and again all he has to do is play a straight bat and ignore it without getting into a slanging match with Mourinho and we remain in charge of the situation.

The board or Martinez never comment on transfers until they're completed, why should they start now?

Last edited:
It still does not make ANY sense in selling him now....UNLESS it is over 35M which is a fee too high to refuse, especially if the lad wants to go. 12 months later might be a different story.

Of course they do...but why should Everton play Chelsea's games in the media about it...just inform Chelsea of the price, no negotiation, and if they don't match it...see ya!
I agree and think that's why Martinez and others at the club aren't jumping into the media to respond to all of mourinhos comments. It's obviously frustrating him that we aren't getting involved in a media spat

I think it's all choreographed, to be honest. All part of the pantomime. Everton need to make a song and dance about it, Chelsea need to be seen as having to have moved our way.

I just wish we could cut to the chase and shake hands on £34M or whatever. We all know it ends that way and we really need to get on with buying three or four players.

What "song and dance" are Everton making? We've rejected their offer and told them we don't want to sell.

Also why would we accept such a low offer given the current market value for young talented English internationals?

Have to disagree with you Dave on this point. If Stones stays then it's a powerful statement we are stating about building a young core for the years ahead.

The reverse is obviously true.

Besides the above Evertonians deserve the pleasure of seeing a player who whilst not complete has the grace and style of a young Bobby Moore.

I dont see him as an iconic figure that deflates a club if he leaves. He just doesn't have that stature.

There is massive exaggeration over Stones, imo. It'll work Everton's way right now of course, because Chelsea will need to cough up a substantial amount given the hype around him. But Stones is far from being irreplaceable. He's looked as culpable as anyone for our poor defensive performances. He's got a long way to go and I doubt we'd get much more than mid-30 millions for him if we retained him and he improved with us for another season. His stock is way over-valued at this point and we need that cash to move in this window.

Over and above all the shoutiness, that's the way I see it.

Just found this from an interview with Elstone:

There is no clause in the deal which took Stones from Oakwell to Goodison Park that provides the Reds with any extra money for his England debut. There is a substantial sell-on clause but, despite interest from other Premier League clubs, Elstone insists the young defender will not be leaving Everton in the near future.

11th July 2014

I'm at the point where i'm past this posturing BS. It doesn't do anyone any good. If he's going to leave, let it be sooner than later, don't want another 'arteta money' situation.

We should just say: This is our valuation, either pay it now or it goes up every single day.

We have the cards in our hands here, long contract, international year, potentially increasing in value after the euro's.

So many people wound up by crap papers

And a few blues shamefully trying to wind others up on the back of them too.

People conveniently ignoring two facts:

- We've sent them a letter saying he's not for sale. Just because that ballbag has ignored the letter doesn't mean we've suddenly not sent it, our stance is clear.

- We don't need to sell. Anyone quoting less than £40m clearly doesn't understand the power point one gives us. We're in the driving seat.

What "song and dance" are Everton making? We've rejected their offer and told them we don't want to sell.

Also why would we accept such a low offer given the current market value for young talented English internationals?
As 'terraloon' posted above: RM didn't need to indulge the story as much as he did when this all kicked off last week. He did though and that was always going to be the green light for the MSM to be all over this.

It's all part of the game.

And a few blues shamefully trying to wind others up on the back of them too.

People conveniently ignoring two facts:

- We've sent them a letter saying he's not for sale. Just because that ballbag has ignored the letter doesn't mean we've suddenly not sent it, our stance is clear.

- We don't need to sell. Anyone quoting less than £40m clearly doesn't understand the power point one gives us. We're in the driving seat.

Mourhino quoted this morning on SSN...'We don't need any more players for this season...the squad is full'

As 'terraloon' posted above: RM didn't need to indulge the story as much as he did when this all kicked off last week. He did though and that was always going to be the green light for the MSM to be all over this.

It's all part of the game.

He had to make a response as he's was asked directly about a current media story about one of our players, what he said was perfectly adequate.

It is a game, but we're not having the rules dictated here by Mourinho and Chelsea and he's shown we won't be bullied into playing it their way.

He had to make a response as he's was asked directly about a current media story about one of our players, what he said was perfectly adequate.

It is a game, but we're not having the rules dictated here by Mourinho and Chelsea and he's shown we won't be bullied into playing it their way.
Yes, but if wanted to kill the story he could have just said stuff like "It's normal that we receive interest from other clubs for our players. We take what he said as a compliment'...end of exchange.

He didn't. He indulged it and made sure the response was newsworthy and we find ourselves at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back