John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amount of mis-truths is doing my head in. Headlines earlier on were saying that Martinez said he was unaware of Stones handing in a transfer request. Cue a load of people saying Martinez is a knob and shouldn't be saying he is "unaware."

Compare this with the actual quotes from the press conference. Martinez is asked if he is aware of Stones handing in a transfer request, to which he answers "Not at all, no." Subtly different, yet completely different. Instead of the doubtful, unsure spin that the reports gave, Martinez was absolutely clear that there had been no transfer request.

It's all about how the question is framed and, regardless of what answer Martinez gave, the press would always angle the headline the way they choose.

The amount of mis-truths is doing my head in. Headlines earlier on were saying that Martinez said he was unaware of Stones handing in a transfer request. Cue a load of people saying Martinez is a knob and shouldn't be saying he is "unaware."

Compare this with the actual quotes from the press conference. Martinez is asked if he is aware of Stones handing in a transfer request, to which he answers "Not at all, no." Subtly different, yet completely different. Instead of the doubtful, unsure spin that the reports gave, Martinez was absolutely clear that there had been no transfer request.

It's all about how the question is framed and, regardless of what answer Martinez gave, the press would always angle the headline the way they choose.

Conjunctions - it's the only thing a hack has.

Call themselves professional writers? LOL, they're the university of Birkenhead (yeah, I know there's no such place) standard of writer/author.

Conjunctions - it's the only thing a hack has.

Call themselves professional writers? LOL, they're the university of Birkenhead (yeah, I know there's no such place) standard of writer/author.
They're a strange breed.

So instead of reporting the facts i.e. that Martinez said that there had been no transfer request....

....they report their versions of the story i.e. that Martinez said he was unaware of a transfer request, even though he never actually said it

And that's why I stopped buying newspapers - they are full of agenda-driven nonsense and should never be trusted as a reference

This thread makes me feel a bit...
funny-gifs-Faster-faster-faster.gif

God, I miss home. Only in North Wales could the front page of the main paper combine tawdry affairs, birds attacking cats, the manager of the local team having to defend himself after winning the last three games (of four played), and an advert for those little cars that fat people drive around in.
Checks that he's not referring to my car.

OK.............. but checks scales anyway.

I really love Stones, but 40 million for a defender would be insane not to take?
You could build an entire defense on that and have left overs.

I guess it's about not being a "selling" club anymore?

I really love Stones, but 40 million for a defender would be insane not to take?
You could build an entire defense on that and have left overs.

I guess it's about not being a "selling" club anymore?
It's about the message we send to the rest of the squad. The young talent whom we have told we are going to build a team together to win things. What do we go and tell the likes of Barkley, Lukaku, Deulofeu and Galloway if we sell Stones, even for 50 mill?
The fee has no relevance to the damage we will do long term to the squad.
No sale. At any price. Even if he hands in a transfer request.

It's about the message we send to the rest of the squad. The young talent whom we have told we are going to build a team together to win things. What do we go and tell the likes of Barkley, Lukaku, Deulofeu and Galloway if we sell Stones, even for 50 mill?
The fee has no relevance to the damage we will do long term to the squad.
No sale. At any price. Even if he hands in a transfer request.

I haven't agreed with you much lately, but I think you are spot on here.

Now go apologize to Kone :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back