John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next bit of the media hacks attempt to 'get Stones to Chelsea' is to say Stones has asked for a transfer and it has been refused.

The Mail are distorting what Martinez said at the press conference. The clip they show Martinez doesn't say what has been reported.

"Asked if a transfer request would force the issue, Martinez said: 'No. When you got a long-term contract those things don't change at all. If someone comes in from nowhere and puts in a transfer request that is a different situation.

'In a saga of I don't know how many weeks now, we are very clear. I speak to John every day. As a footballer, unless two clubs reach an agreement, you can't do anything.'

Roberto Martinez - Pre Man City Press Conference

By using the 'transfer request and it has been refused is an attempt to get us to turn against Stones as we did against Lescott and Rooney. Some hacks do know some 'history' of our club and are prepared to go to any lengths to undermine Everton FC, including lies.

Televised press conference & written media are different things mate , he'll have said that to the hacks hence them reporting it . Managers usually considerably more forthcoming to the written press as they often have more established relationships .

basketball-cool-block-shot.gif

:(

Bye mate.

If true that's quite reassuring.

Up yours, media. GOT xxx

I might be totally wrong but I think this has been really fluid . It seemed at first a matter of time , then the lad wasn't for sale then it seemed Chelsea would get him now (let's hope) it's swung the other way. I think loads of genuine journalists and ITK types have had there fingers burnt as they are hearing various things .

I just hope it's coming to a favourable conclusion now.

Let's just say stones breaks his ankle, would you be regret not selling him. When the bids come in at 40 million. The board will be talking to martinez

Just take that logic a step further though, mate.

What you're basically saying is that players worth a lot of money are risky to keep, and we should perhaps sell them. But what's the aim of selling them? To buy players?

Good players, right? And good players are worth a lot of money?

So unless the goal is to replicate 04/05 and achieve with a team that has no players worth much money, then I don't see how it will work. And that is a pretty much impossible feat. To be a good team, you need good players. And good players are worth a lot of money.

... and what if we sold him for 40 million, passed on 6 million to Barnsley, spent 20 million on a replacement centre half who broke his leg on his debut and 14 million on someone who turned out to be a flop. Meanwhile Stones went on to improve at Chelsea or ManU and ended up being sold to Barcelona for 85 million in a few years time. How incredibly stupid would we look ?

A phenomenal and incredible piece of idiocy.

I might be totally wrong but I think this has been really fluid . It seemed at first a matter of time , then the lad wasn't for sale then it seemed Chelsea would get him now (let's hope) it's swung the other way. I think loads of genuine journalists and ITK types have had there fingers burnt as they are hearing various things .

I just hope it's coming to a favourable conclusion now.

The clubs stance from day one was he's not for sale, not sure why you think it's been swinging back and forth?

Let's just say stones breaks his ankle, would you be regret not selling him. When the bids come in at 40 million. The board will be talking to martinez

He will be worth a lot more after Euro. And Martinez is building a team not destroying one and replaced him with Jonny Evans.

I can't say how I found this out.

All I will say is remember I was cert on Lukaku signing when everyone said we couldn’t afford him. I'm as cert that this summer Stones is going nowhere.

Needed to put this in as the last 60 pages is like watching teeth being pulled without anaesthetic.

Perfectly healthy teeth too.

Good news and absolutely the correct approach. It will also help us in the long run when clubs try and buy other youngsters off us.

RM being so firm has made this much more than just about this player in this window. Part of his sell to players in general to extend or sign is the idea of building a young excellent team developing cracking young players and turning them into something special with out the risk of them being sidelined by a big name glory signing or on the back of a few errors. Hopefully to win something en route. If he sells Stones now all that falls apart. Big year for RM and he clearly realises that.
It could be a lot of money to turn down but I say stand firm. The message is more important than the money, especially late in window.

The clubs stance from day one was he's not for sale, not sure why you think it's been swinging back and forth?

I don't mean from club we've been fairly strong , we have got stronger . I'm also personally not of the belief that a clubs public stance is always completely a clear picture of events to be honest . I certainly think Chelsea thought they were close to getting him and for all journalists are often ridiculous many seemed confident something was afoot at various stages .

I just mean at various points I've personally felt something could happen , I'm delighted to be wrong if that's the case though . Have you never had even one concern he was ever going to go ? If so looking at this thread you may be in the minority .

No, that's like selling your house because you are worried in case a few slates on the roof break in the future. C'mon mate glass half full and all that!

Last piece of the puzzle will be an interview with John after the window has closed to clear the probable narrative that we're 'keeping him here against his will' and 'holding back his career'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back