John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, Paul Joyce is not one of the chief stirring journos in the Stones saga, and with his local EFC reporting roots, I doubt he's trying to get us to sell Stones.

The likes of him and Andy Hunter in the Guardian are the very few Evertonian voices in the National press. They're both usually on the ball when it comes to EFC matters.

Agree ! Went to school with him and whilst he was a red, have followed his career and he is a decent journo - and defo gives Everton a fair report usually unlike most RS media types

Why do some people think this might happen?

There's no chance now. None what so ever. Let's all enjoy Johnno until it all starts again in January.

Forgive me if I'm reading a different article but if it's the one I think it is (by Paul Joyce, ex-Daily Post EFC reporter), he doesn't actually say that.

The article is entitled 'Roberto Martinez faces the sack at Everton if he can't make transfer system work' and is part of a look at our finances. There's a second piece by Joyce looking at the Board, with Palace's chairman telling us to stick with Kenwright.
True, but I feel that it is implied that Stones is the cash cow in question.

There was a one of them stats data collecting things going a few weeks ago that was showing that Everton and Evertonians fans are more active on Twitter than any other club, Everton gets tweeted more often than any other Premier League side it seems.
When you think about it if that applies to the rest of the internet writing crap about Everton is going to generate more clicks for the media than most other sides, OK i am sure Manchester United and Liverpool have more "fans" (part timers mainly) then Everton but most of them won't really interested in what is going on at the club in the background in the same way we are. I totally get why the media are doing this at the moment, Everton and Chelsea involved is a dream for them, no wonder they are making stuff up on a daily business.
No one does the internet quite like us blues

Disagree totally, the headline bore no relation to the content, and not a single quotation to substantiate it either.
There are no quotes mate, no. A headline designed to wind up, like most of them these days.

I do see what you mean, it just smelled a bit odd (like me) and cynical to publish an article about Everton player sales at this time, what with all the media efforts to pack Stones off to London. Irritated me a little, not that I think they can influence anything.

See, this is why I don't buy papers anymore. Click bait and that.

Last edited:

Ollie Kay in the times trying to sell Stones again

Saying that Stones asked Martinez if he could go, and now he is weighing up weather to put a transfer request in

He should be more vocal in support of Evertonians then in a sensitive time when his fellow journalists are telling lies

Or pipe down entirely

Or maybe he should shine a spotlight on the situation in what he feels is a balanced manner, in multiple articles, as he's currently doing. Just because you don't agree with his conclusions doesn't mean he shouldn't write stuff.

People cried for coverage of the situation. Now they're getting coverage, and because it isn't entirely 'anti-Kenwright, get these people out, let's have a revolution' pieces, it's all 'this is bad, he should pipe down'.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article4537224.ece
John Stones may seek to force move
  • 16090410-4aa0-11e5-_964031c.jpg

Everton are adamant that Stones is not for sale despite the player’s hankering for a Chelsea move Nigel French/PA
Oliver Kay
Last updated at 12:01AM, August 25 2015
John Stones is weighing up whether to submit a formal transfer request as he looks to persuade Everton to relent over a potential move to Chelsea.

The England defender informed Roberto Martínez, the Everton manager, last week that he wishes to join Chelsea if possible, but the Merseyside club have maintained a firm stance that he is not for sale. Stones is now contemplating whether to go a step further by officially requesting a transfer, even though Martínez has stated publicly that such a move would make no difference.

Chelsea have had three bids for Stones rejected since mid-July, the latest of them for £30 million last week. The London club have begun to look at alternatives in case Everton refuse to back down, but a fourth bid is expected regardless of whether Stones officially requests a move.

Everton remain vehemently opposed to selling Stones. Jon Woods, the director, was filmed during the 2-0 defeat by Manchester City on Sunday telling a supporter at Goodison Park that neither he nor Bill Kenwright, the chairman, would sell the player. That stance was reinforced last night by another figure at Everton, who said that they are “truly determined” to keep Stones.

The situation is a difficult one for Stones, for whom a move to Chelsea — with a view to competing for a first-team place immediately and to forging a long-term central-defensive partnership with Kurt Zouma — holds an obvious appeal. It has always been Stones’s intention not to force the issue, out of respect for Martínez and the club, but that principle is being tested now that Everton seem fiercely committed to blocking the move. Leighton Baines went through a similar dilemma two seasons ago, amid interest from Manchester United, and ultimately decided not to ask for a transfer.

Jamie Carragher, the former Liverpool and England defender, said on TalkSPORT last night that Stones should stay at Everton. “Every player should want to play at the highest level and win trophies, play in the Champions League and play for his country,” Carragher said. “That’s the aim of every player. It’s just [a question of] what is the right time for the player to go — and I think the right thing for John Stones would be to play for another couple of years at Everton.

“He’s playing really well, but you have ups and downs as a young player, especially as a defender, where you can make a couple of mistakes, give away a penalty, and your confidence goes. That’s part of being a defender and learning your trade. I think it would be better for him to know he’s almost guaranteed to play week in, week out for Everton, go through those times with Everton, and then when he eventually gets his move to a top English club, as he will do, he’ll be going there a bit more experienced, a better player, and a bit more mature in his game.”

If Stones does move, then Barnsley, his former club, will be entitled to a significant cut — believed to be 15 per cent — of any transfer fee under the terms of the deal they agreed when selling him to Everton in January 2013. Although a fee of £3 million has been widely quoted in the original transfer, Barnsley only received an initial fee of £1.25 million, with additional payments contingent on his success at Goodison Park and any future sale.

Tom Cleverley, the Everton midfield player, likened Stones yesterday to Rio Ferdinand, the former Manchester United and England defender. “He is just a Rolls-Royce at the back really,” Cleverley said. “He’s so calm and composed and first and foremost he’s a great defender. He does all the basics right. He’s a very, very talented player. If you had to liken him someone, he’s probably like Rio — very quick, calm on the ball and you trust him.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back