• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
If John Stones is sold to City he will develop into a brilliant centre half as he would at Everton if we improve our overall team. Any centre half would suffer in the Everton of the last two years.
I understand the finances may dictate we have to sell him, but let's not kid ourselves about his talent.
I don't hold with all this nonsense about "if players don't want to play for the shirt sell them" modern day professional footballers want to play for big clubs. It is the duty of the board and management to make Everton the big club they want to play for.

Hard to blame Stones tbh, had to put up with crap from his own supporters at Goodison every time he stepped on the pitch. The rest of the world's top clubs are clamoring over a CB that can be composed on the ball and play out of pressure and the Goodision faithful jump on his back every time he has a misstep. We'll call him Judas when he comes back though.

No he didn't have to "put up with crap from his own supporters every time he stepped on the pitch".

He was very well received and had songs sang about him for the first half of the season.

The second half of the season was such a turgid affair none of our players commanded much affection from the matchgoing public.

And as for the "rest of the world's top clubs clamouring etc."......they are clamouring even more do for a CB whose strengths lay principally in being a CB who keeps the back door shut and whom is a commanding presence in the penalty box.

Let Stones master the noble art of defending before he believes the Beckanbauer hype.

It's laughable how some hold a player who handed in a transfer request last season (and is about to hand in a 2nd according to reports) in such high regard. I suppose years of mediocrity will do that but any supporter of the club saying he's right to be upset or should move on to win cups are taking the piss surely?
Forgive me for hoping we keep our top players and wanting the best for Everton next season and beyond that.

If John Stones is sold to City he will develop into a brilliant centre half as he would at Everton if we improve our overall team. Any centre half would suffer in the Everton of the last two years.
I understand the finances may dictate we have to sell him, but let's not kid ourselves about his talent.
I don't hold with all this nonsense about "if players don't want to play for the shirt sell them" modern day professional footballers want to play for big clubs. It is the duty of the board and management to make Everton the big club they want to play for.

I think it is more of a case of not keeping a unhappy player who will not contribute to his full potential. That can only be a negative in my view.

We should just move on with some new personnel, which is usually what happens with a new Manager anyway. If Stones has handed in a transfer request then it shows he is not open to giving Koeman his best.

Good post mate . It has to be one step at a time though . Stones wants out because the last 2 years have been gash and he's got a bit of stick from the fans as well . He will become a top player I think but he's not there yet ... Right now we need unity at the club and city will pay us silly money for stones ... We will find another few more good players in the next 2 seasons but need to build a structure that will ensure the lads want to stay and not leave because Everton will be that big club ..! It onwards and upwards but we must be patient and have faith in the new structure ... Exciting times for me !!

I think it is more of a case of not keeping a unhappy player who will not contribute to his full potential. That can only be a negative in my view.

We should just move on with some new personnel, which is usually what happens with a new Manager anyway. If Stones has handed in a transfer request then it shows he is not open to giving Koeman his best.

The finances may be the most important factor in John Stones' future but that aside. What makes a player happy at a club changes as the club changes, we are on the up. We seem to be concentrating on our midfield t the moment.
Stones is under contract, depending on the content of that contract I would hold him at the club and let him see that we are a serious challenger and win over his allegiance.
I do agree that no one player is bigger than the club and f he is totally committed to leaving hen there is little RK can do, but if there is a chance he will stay then I feel this has to be encouraged.

The finances may be the most important factor in John Stones' future but that aside. What makes a player happy at a club changes as the club changes, we are on the up. We seem to be concentrating on our midfield t the moment.
Stones is under contract, depending on the content of that contract I would hold him at the club and let him see that we are a serious challenger and win over his allegiance.
I do agree that no one player is bigger than the club and f he is totally committed to leaving hen there is little RK can do, but if there is a chance he will stay then I feel this has to be encouraged.

Can't disagree with most of this, although I don't really care about the financial aspect.

I said "if" because I don't know for sure that he has repeated the transfer request, but if he has the we should sell and move on.

Have to agree.

I think he'd develop well at both clubs if given the time to play week in week out. He's that good a talent.

£50mill is a lot of money to get a ready made replacement too. And Koeman has dome that sort of job in rebuilding before.

No worries from me. Wouldn't fight for him to stay I'd just fight for the right price.

I really hope he stays. I remember that interview he had after a man of the match performance a few years ago. He seemed so grounded and said he just wanted to become a fans favourite here.

Last year was a complete write off thanks to Martinez. Didn't help that our manager was constantly slagging off our fans, that's probably had a negative impact on the likes of Stones as well.

Can't disagree with most of this, although I don't really care about the financial aspect.

I said "if" because I don't know for sure that he has repeated the transfer request, but if he has the we should sell and move on.

The financial aspect I refer to isn't the £50 mill transfer fee it is the wages to income levels. If we are bringing in top class talent they will have to be paid. Selling Stones would increase our profitability and therefore our ability to increase our wage bill.

I think you'd have to have grown up as a fan of a club to 'play for the shirt'. The guy was a Utd fan I think, so for us, it was just another job.

Where I think the club has missed out is in not selling the dream. Being a part of something special as the clubs lot improves. A Leicester type tale if you like.

Having said that, I don't think some players want to be the ones who build it, they want to go to a club where someone else has built the dream & they can just come in for the money & the glory.

50 million is good amount if he wants off but if City and Pep really want him they should pay more :-) His 3 years left on his contract I think? so we should be in driving seat not City or Stones! Dump him in reserves if needs be as Moshiri Everton needs to be ruthless and not the nice little Everton Kenwright made us who everyone bullied and disrespected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back