• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE
Not looking good, was doing 40 on that scooter
ambulance-1776346.jpg

Might be me just not noticing, but I really don't think Martinez gets enough credit for the player that Stones is becoming.

Not Moyes bashing, but do we think that Moyes would have been an advocate for bringing the ball out of defence? Had he even got in the team, I do wonder what kind of Stones we would have instead under a "defend-first" type of management.

Martinez has given him opportunities, allows him to express himself, hasn't dropped him when he's made errors, has given him the right level of progression in terms of game time. The fact he loves possession tactics and wants defenders to be proactive with the ball suits Stones to a tee.

Look at Barkley too, Galloway, Browning, Deulofeu.

It's like he gets praise for including youngsters in squads and giving them a chance, but does he get the credit he deserves for developing them?

I personally don't think so.

Thoughts?

Would likely of made him a better defender but a lesser footballer

The arrogance Mourinho came at us with his hilarious in hindsight. Had us fuming at the time though.
Even when he says, if the club say not for sale, I stop asking.. followed by our club saying.. Not for sale.. So he puts in another bid anyway, is now funny.

If he had done things properly, chances are he'd have his defender, and they would be much higher up the league and he wouldn't be facing the sack. That's what comes of assuming if he wants something, he gets it.
We now keep Stones for another season, all eyes are on him because of the Summer drama, and he's taking full advantage of it, showcasing his skills instead of running his mouth like others would. Every good game lifting Everton, and should he leave, raising his value.

It'll cost an absolute mint to take him off our hands now.

Where's yer smug grin now José Mário dos Santos Mourinho Félix, yer Portuguese, multi named, gimp.

Bobby somewhat swerved the question as to whether he'll be ready for this upcoming game. Guess we'll have to wait and see

Maybe mate, but Stones probably wouldn't have been playing under Moyes....our £28million striker would have been tracking back and defending!
We would never have signed a £28 million pound striker as that would be one less excuse for his knife to a gunfight arguement

Maybe mate, but Stones probably wouldn't have been playing under Moyes....our £28million striker would have been tracking back and defending!

Moyes would of been given money for the first time because of the TV rights so whilst we may not of got a 28mil Striker, we would almost certainly of strengthened year on year, as we did when he didn't have money...

Think the more likely scenario is we would still play the same style, have another average striker, sold Barkley and replaced with a better quality AM (at the time) missing out on Barkleys development this year, bought some wingers we never utilised well, and would of strengthened our midfield and have a decent replacement for Coleman and a few CB options. Enough change to see us improve, and challenge every team, but fall short on success.

We would likely also been playing Stones, because he's a quality defender, and whilst Moyes didn't bring through such incredible talent as Rodwell or Gosling in the way some wanted... its possible there was a reason for that.

And Stones being a quality defender means I'd put money on Moyes playing him. He was a defensive manager, but he knew defenders and built our improvement on that knowledge. Wouldn't take long to see how good Stones was. In fact it was he who bought him was it not?

I think we are lucky that Bill got Martinez in...hes done a great job with the youth.

Ideally we get 4th and Stones signs a long term contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back