• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are lucky that Bill got Martinez in...hes done a great job with the youth.

Ideally we get 4th and Stones signs a long term contract.

I honestly think both Moyes and Martibez would be great directors of football. They've both got great eyes for young talent, they both know how to establish a system and culture from top to bottom in the club and they both are keen to stay at the edge of modern youth development methods. I think both could have got/could get more out of the first team than they did/are doing but there's no denying both of their work improving the squad to the value it has today is brilliant. We almost need an Ancelotti or Mourinho now just to come in for a season take the first team and win some trophies.

I honestly think both Moyes and Martibez would be great directors of football. They've both got great eyes for young talent, they both know how to establish a system and culture from top to bottom in the club and they both are keen to stay at the edge of modern youth development methods. I think both could have got/could get more out of the first team than they did/are doing but there's no denying both of their work improving the squad to the value it has today is brilliant. We almost need an Ancelotti or Mourinho now just to come in for a season take the first team and win some trophies.
Martinez is still a young man in management terms. No reason why he can't take this lot to glory

Stones had a very poor game last night by his standards. Seemed to lack concentration. Repeatedly got caught out of position. Robles was screaming at him for most of the game to get closer to his man, got caught in possession quite a lot too. In particular tried to dribble the ball out of the six yard box in the first half which he somehow got away with.Didn't look convincing on corners either .

Stones had a very poor game last night by his standards. Seemed to lack concentration. Repeatedly got caught out of position. Robles was screaming at him for most of the game to get closer to his man, got caught in possession quite a lot too. In particular tried to dribble the ball out of the six yard box in the first half which he somehow got away with.Didn't look convincing on corners either .
I think it shows just how much jags guides him.

He actually looked a lot better when moved to RB. When at CB he was pretty much asked to be our main playmaker from deep, and he showed some really good forward play in the first half, but it seemed to detract from his defensive contribution somewhat. Also, I think Browning is a very good player, but he's not going to be a full-back.

Stones hasn't been anywhere near up to his standard the last 3 games. That will happen with young players with so little experience at the top level and it will cost us goals, unfortunately. He is ball watching and not noticing the players around him and if Jags hadn't got injured I would have put Stones on the bench for a few games. Don't know if something is bothering him or he is beginning to believe the hype. Hopefully he will shrug off this poor form and get back to being a rock solid centre back.

Stones is still not defensively brilliant but that will come. His composure on the ball in second to none and some of his slide tackles are timed to perfection. Still think he allows to much room in the box at crosses and goes to sleep sometimes when someone just runs past him off the ball. But you can see the talent he has. Only experience will polish his game up.

Stones has had more bad than good games since the Barnsley result (around the time of the transfer request saga) and I think the whole Chelsea ordeal has maybe affected his mentality and given him a bigger ego than he should have at his age. Still a tremendous player. Maybe a future in defensive midfield if he never fully realises his defensive potential?

Sorry if others have already brought this up but has anyone else noticed the poor body language from stones in the last couple of games.
Against Arsenal and again last night he seemed to be disinterested, sulking, shoulders slumped.
Also from where I was sat in the lower bullens, somebody had a go at him for misplacing a pass and he gave an unbroken stare back for about 20 seconds.
Strange because he was exemplary through the transfer request saga yet now something seems to be going on.

Would be nice if he signed a new deal. Think that would mean we would have until at least the summer.

....it's a predicament for him but the club holds the aces. For somebody of his talent his salary will be very small but he's committed for a long period. The new offer will be a significant hike but will also extend the length, probably a 5 year deal. The issue is probably the release figure but the longer this goes on means he's literally losing millions.

Sorry if others have already brought this up but has anyone else noticed the poor body language from stones in the last couple of games.
Against Arsenal and again last night he seemed to be disinterested, sulking, shoulders slumped.
Also from where I was sat in the lower bullens, somebody had a go at him for misplacing a pass and he gave an unbroken stare back for about 20 seconds.
Strange because he was exemplary through the transfer request saga yet now something seems to be going on.
He has had his head turned and is only young.
Would these little mistakes be noticed if chelsea hadn't come in for him

Stones has had more bad than good games since the Barnsley result (around the time of the transfer request saga) and I think the whole Chelsea ordeal has maybe affected his mentality and given him a bigger ego than he should have at his age. Still a tremendous player. Maybe a future in defensive midfield if he never fully realises his defensive potential?

....there must be ongoing contract discussions and I think this will have an impact on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back