• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot worse?, he was an absolute liability as a defender, he was even making schoolboy errors against Utd last time out.

Williams is a better defender at present, fact, he will help stop goals being scored against us better than Stones would have, also fact.
He might teach Lukaku a trick or two.

He'll also be an OAP in a couple of seasons
Fine by us, we'll be in Europe spunking 40m on CB's, we need a quick fix to our defence and William's will provide that, our aim is top 6 this season, that is the goal and Stones out William's in makes that easier to achieve.

He didn't want to be here anyway, no point trying to hold onto him, he'll have just sulked for another season.

The way it was handled has been poor by both clubs but it has been one of the best kept secrets for a long time.

Stones is a young lad who wants to win things, and get paid well for it, this isn't going to happen with Everton in the near or distant future so all the best to the lad and good luck but hopefully you'll finish with a runner's up medal to a team in royal blue soon.

COYB

If you look on Bluemoon, it seems as though the deal was done last night but EFC asked MCFC not to announce until they had tied up Williams - Granted this may not be factual but it would make sense. No way City could announce JS in their CL squad without him being officially signed - There could of been a verbal agreement between the clubs to delay announcement but City wouldn't risk paying £50mil for him and not including him in the squad so they had too give his name. Whether no-one realised Uefa would release the squads so soon I dont know....

Good afternoon all. Interesting reading your comments, I for one am extremely happy with the signing, I'm not going to come on here and pretend I've watched John Stones every minute of every game over the past 12 months so interesting to hear your views on his lack of defensive ability - As everyone seems to agree though, he is an extremley talented ball player with huge potential. Personally I think it's a very good deal all round - Pep gets the player he's wanted since the start (it seems), Everton get a very good price for a 22 year old Defender and JS gets the move he clearly wanted.

I believe if there is a Manager in world football to help him reach his potential, Pep is that Manager - I really do think he will thrive our team. Even if is defending isn't the best at the moment, he's young and still learning his trade - In all honesty, I don't actually think he was signed for his defending (Seems strange saying that about a CB!) but for his clear ability to bring the ball out of defence and link with the midfield - something Pep has had in previous sides and one of the reasons his tactics have been so successful.

It will be interesting to see how he develops but I feel this is a signing we desperately needed. Anything is an improvement on Mangala trust me. If (And it's a big IF) we can get Kompany fit, these 2 at CB could be a great partnership.

On a separate note, good to see a big % on here wishing him well or at the very least not ripping him to shreds - a team on the other side of Stanley Park could learn a thing or 2.

Ooh I feel much better about it now. Thanks a lot.

Hope he does a horrendously poor Cruyff turn inside his own box that costs you the league or 4th, or whatever.

Good afternoon all. Interesting reading your comments, I for one am extremely happy with the signing, I'm not going to come on here and pretend I've watched John Stones every minute of every game over the past 12 months so interesting to hear your views on his lack of defensive ability - As everyone seems to agree though, he is an extremley talented ball player with huge potential. Personally I think it's a very good deal all round - Pep gets the player he's wanted since the start (it seems), Everton get a very good price for a 22 year old Defender and JS gets the move he clearly wanted.

I believe if there is a Manager in world football to help him reach his potential, Pep is that Manager - I really do think he will thrive our team. Even if is defending isn't the best at the moment, he's young and still learning his trade - In all honesty, I don't actually think he was signed for his defending (Seems strange saying that about a CB!) but for his clear ability to bring the ball out of defence and link with the midfield - something Pep has had in previous sides and one of the reasons his tactics have been so successful.

It will be interesting to see how he develops but I feel this is a signing we desperately needed. Anything is an improvement on Mangala trust me. If (And it's a big IF) we can get Kompany fit, these 2 at CB could be a great partnership.

On a separate note, good to see a big % on here wishing him well or at the very least not ripping him to shreds - a team on the other side of Stanley Park could learn a thing or 2.

Nobody is bothered about your boring soulless club, pal. Go away.

Fine by us, we'll be in Europe spunking 40m on CB's, we need a quick fix to our defence and William's will provide that, our aim is top 6 this season, that is the goal and Stones out William's in makes that easier to achieve.

He didn't want to be here anyway, no point trying to hold onto him, he'll have just sulked for another season.

It's a no brainer.

Williams - stats show him to be one of the best Premier league defenders over the past few seasons.
Stones - Kid who HAS potential to be one of the best Premier league defenders. Prone to make mistakes and holds onto the ball too damn much, especially in his own friggin box. Cannot defend corners and positioning is woeful,

Our defence in the Martinez era has been terrible Right now we need a quick fix, we're got potential in Holgate and Galloway. Our defence needs sorting and Williams is perfect for that.

If our defence next season is Jagielka/Kone & Williams/Funes Mori, I'd be buzzing.

Having seen the '62/3 championship side, the '66 Cup Winners, and all that followed with the 69/70 team, and those of the mid-'80s, I, and those around my age, can probably consider myself privileged to have lived through those times and seen those teams. I sincerely hope that younger Everton supporters get to see the same...

Can I just say that I hope all of us older generation (60+) Blues get to see more glories for our club - we're long overdue and we've all paid our dues ;);)

Not a big miss. Makes lots of mistakes and most Evertonians got excited by his fancy footwork. Not what I really want to be the best quality of a starting center half.

Everton got a good deal and Man City may have found their next Jack Rodwell.

Stones was and is class. His image and talent has been tainted by the absolute horror show that was RM's defensive management. His first season he was not only a great distributor, he was an already good defender with pace and vision. City will see the best of him and he will be greatly missed. I will remain a fan of the lad and in awe of his talent! We made a fair chunk of cash that he is worth every cent of so cannot feel hard done by. Good luck lad, I hope it works out for you!

Not a big miss. Makes lots of mistakes and most Evertonians got excited by his fancy footwork. Not what I really want to be the best quality of a starting center half.

Everton got a good deal and Man City may have found their next Jack Rodwell.

Agreed, can you imagine being a city fan with him sulking with most of his game time warming the pine
You think they would learn after Robinho

Yup, Williams, Kone and Gueye, we'll be flying in to the CL spots.

If you had come here in 2009 and post that about our best defender in Joleon Lescott. I would have told you to p1ss off. Especially since it would be a post that would seem like your taking the p1ss. But this certainly isn't.

Because back then Lescott was our player of the year. He was rock solid, not only was he awesome at defending set pieces, but he was scoring 10 goals a season. I was gutted.

But now? Stones for 50m? I'm more than happy with that.

I honestly hope Stones careers doesn't go backwards at City, like Lescotts did. And I mean that in terms of performances, because Lescott was an absolute rock for us, but not so much at City.

Stones on the other hand at times has been a downright liability. You are definitely not getting a solid defender. Stones has tones of pace, and can pass from the back, he can also do some great last ditch defending (normally following the initial mistake he has made). But in my opinion his best position is actually defensive midfield.

To be honest, if City's defence needs improving NOW. Then why the hell have they not gone out and bought our two transfer targets in Kone or Williams?

Stones will not improve your defence. Maybe in a couple of years time when he has learned how to position, not to switch off, defend at set pieces etc etc and basically do the basics.

I wish him well and good luck for next season. Maybe you are getting a diamond, but boy does he need polishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back