• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have just lost a potentially world class CB in John Stones. I am not too upset really because if we get Williams then we have instantly strengthened our defence. Williams is a better defender than Stones as are a few CBs in the league. Its Stones footballing skills that stand out from the rest nothing else. Short term we will be much stronger but if and only if Stones continues to progress he will be one of the best CBs the premier league will have produced. Risky going to City because a couple of high profile mistakes there will be jumped on harder than it ever has been at Everton and he may find himself frozen out if he doesn't get a consistency. I wish him luck but will miss his arrogance and silky skills but not his defensive frailties.

Stones will not improve your defence. Maybe in a couple of years time when he has learned how to position, not to switch off, defend at set pieces etc etc and basically do the basics.

I wish him well and good luck for next season. Maybe you are getting a diamond, but boy does he need polishing.

They are his failings...and what a list it is for a centre back!

I said from the get go that the lad was not someone who could be put at the heart of a defence. He is a terrible defender. Not even close to CL class and he'll be utterly ribboned in that tournament if Guardiola throws him in against top quality.

He has talent, no question. But he has to be played as a deep lying midfielder who can collect the ball off the defence and start attacks. He can be Carrick class if he's lucky. That would be the sort of role he'd thrive in. leave him at CB and watch £47M get flushed down the bog.

A sad day in the history of Everton Football Club.

Young John is a talented boy, but most of all he is a nice young lad, he wanted out, he wanted to better himself, for over 12months now, not a single word was uttered in the press, there were no tantrums, no 6 goals versus Arsenal.

1 of footballs good guys.

I wish him nothing but success and joy, but most of all thanks for the 40m, not bad for a defender who cant head a ball.

NSNO

It was up to £50m with add ons Zat. Add ons like PSG winning the CL etc.

Sure? Said everywhere it was £50mil.....

Anyway with Kone £18mil and Bailly £30mil (hardly any games) as well as Martial and Sanchez fees id have hoped for £60mil to be honest.

I understand why we are going for williams but so far totally underwhelmed

A sad day in the history of Everton Football Club.

Young John is a talented boy, but most of all he is a nice young lad, he wanted out, he wanted to better himself, for over 12months now, not a single word was uttered in the press, there were no tantrums, no 6 goals versus Arsenal.

1 of footballs good guys.

I wish him nothing but success and joy, but most of all thanks for the 40m, not bad for a defender who cant head a ball.

NSNO

Put a transfer request in and told the fans to STFU for imploring him to clear his lines after his triple Cruyff turn.

I can only imagine the stick Kone would have got if he'd done similar.

Always gave the impression he was just parking up here for a season or so before he got off.

If you had come here in 2009 and post that about our best defender in Joleon Lescott. I would have told you to p1ss off. Especially since it would be a post that would seem like your taking the p1ss. But this certainly isn't.

Because back then Lescott was our player of the year. He was rock solid, not only was he awesome at defending set pieces, but he was scoring 10 goals a season. I was gutted.

But now? Stones for 50m? I'm more than happy with that.

I honestly hope Stones careers doesn't go backwards at City, like Lescotts did. And I mean that in terms of performances, because Lescott was an absolute rock for us, but not so much at City.

Stones on the other hand at times has been a downright liability. You are definitely not getting a solid defender. Stones has tones of pace, and can pass from the back, he can also do some great last ditch defending (normally following the initial mistake he has made). But in my opinion his best position is actually defensive midfield.

To be honest, if City's defence needs improving NOW. Then why the hell have they not gone out and bought our two transfer targets in Kone or Williams?

Stones will not improve your defence. Maybe in a couple of years time when he has learned how to position, not to switch off, defend at set pieces etc etc and basically do the basics.

I wish him well and good luck for next season. Maybe you are getting a diamond, but boy does he need polishing.

I'm not sure his career went backwards, he won the PL twice, the FA Cup and the League cup in 4 years. I Even disagree if you are saying that from a 'performance' perspective, the first league title he won he was an integral part of the team and just as important as Kompany - He was a rock for us that season. Granted, he started to lose his place during the second title win but I think if you asked him if it was a backwards step he'd definatley disagree.

As for your comments on Stones, I suppose only time will tell - Totally appreciate you have watched him closely over the past few seasons and you're are in a better position to analyse but, meaning no disrespect to Everton, he won't have to 'defend' as much in a Manchester City team who control 60%+ possession most weeks. Obviously, he needs to learn how to defend (If he is that bad!) but Pep and Jose (Who i rate as the best 2 managers in the world) both wanted him which can be no coincidence surely?!

Amazing piece of business for Everton, near 40 mill profit. Very happy with getting max value considering it was a foregone conclusion he wanted out.

Ricky_Gervais_to_release_a_David_Brent_single_ahead_of_Life_on_the_Road_movie.jpg

Esk has re-tweeted someone comparing us to Juve selling Pogba and how it doesn't mean we have no ambition. You'd probably say Juventus have no ambition if they replaced Pogba with Gareth Barry, because that's what the Williams deal looks like to me.

Put a transfer request in and told the fans to STFU for imploring him to clear his lines after his triple Cruyff turn.

I can only imagine the stick Kone would have got if he'd done similar.

Always gave the impression he was just parking up here for a season or so before he got off.

Shut up Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back