• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barca would be an amazing move for him, Barnsley -Everton - Barca WOW!!!!!

However, i think he will have seen Chelseas demise and not be as quick to look at jumping ship now. This puts us in a good position of course and Martinez has shown he wont be bullied. But if Barca come....

If he did move of course its better Barca than another English team. The money is also an interesting point but i think Martinez would perhaps seek to add players to any deal...

Alen Halilovic
Marc Bartra
Munir
Sergi Roberto
Ter Stegen
Rafinha

Stones is for me "unsellable", however if we did sell i'd prefer to get some of these players as part of any deal.

For me there is no such thing as unsellable. Realistically it's pretty illogical to have a 10 out of 10 centre half trotting out in front of a 6 out of 10 keeper.

Never mind the other areas of the team that need strengthening.

Football is a business. If Barca came in at £50m it'd clearly be a no brainer!

Not very complicated, check their transfer history. Alves was the most expensive at £30 million and he was not only the premier defender at the time but a fullback which is a decidedly more valuable asset to a club like Barcelona than a central defender. Otherwise, Barcelona have never come close to those prices again for a defender, nevermind a CB. They came close with Thiago Silva but his wage demands were unreasonable but it makes the probability of a bid that high for Stones a virtual impossibility

He's far more likely to end up at another English club were he to leave Everton

I think that's a big load of dog poo.

Barcelona will pay what it takes for the right player. Unless you hold a senior position in the club I don't see how you can possibly be so definitive.

Not very complicated, check their transfer history. Alves was the most expensive at £30 million and he was not only the premier defender at the time but a fullback which is a decidedly more valuable asset to a club like Barcelona than a central defender. Otherwise, Barcelona have never come close to those prices again for a defender, nevermind a CB. They came close with Thiago Silva but his wage demands were unreasonable but it makes the probability of a bid that high for Stones a virtual impossibility

He's far more likely to end up at another English club were he to leave Everton

Dani Alves joined what 7 years ago? If you use any football inflation calculator 30 million then is like 50 million now. That was also for a 25 year old not a 21/22 year old. I think it gives you an indication of the ball park figures people would be talking.

Ultimately money is no object. They look at their academy to fill positions with it often does and then use the copious amounts of money to go and buy special players they don't have in the academy. Even for Barca I would be surprised if they had another John Stones. He could well eclipse Pique if he continues his trend of development.

This season, partly through injury, partly down to Howard being a clown and partly down to his head being a bit all over the shop post the Chelsea stuff he hasn't been at his best. In some games he has still looked sublime though. Chelsea at home for example not only did he nullify Costa, but we built attacks through him. I think if he wants to play for Barca he will have to start showing his potential consistently, far more so than we've seen this year.

Make no mistake though, if he does, and the penny drops that he needs to lead that defence he will be a brilliant defender who will be perfectly suited to Barca.

You mention about Alves but the thing with him and Barca was that he was a bit ahead of the curve. A right back who played as a right forward. Stones has that feel about him too. Sides are increasingly tying full backs down. Defensive midfielders patrol infant of defences with crab like efficiency. Sides are well drilled to defend against it. Having a lad like Stones who can step out of defence and build attacks is a real game changer. When he played well we look a far better team and he gets the best out of Barkley in front of him. It sounds a bizarre thing to say, but then again if you rewound 20 years and said you'd have had fullbacks like Alves who's first job was to attack, would it have sounded equally bizarre?

At a side like Barca, where teams drop back and let Cb's have the ball and don't test them out as much defensively he would flourish. I remember Martinez saying about Deulofeu he has to get used to playing in team that doesn't have the ball for 75% of the game. Stones would be dynamite in a side that had the ball that often.

He has to up his game and consistency. He will know that. But if he does he would be perfectly suited to Barca, and your fans would love watching him.

I genuinely think that the RS are the only set of fans that don't rate him as one of the best young talents around.

Based purely on the Prem:
Shaw has come on leaps and bounds since last year and his injury is unfortunate, but he isn't as good.
Kane, well he's a few years older, but he does look like he's finding his form again.
Barkley needs that consistency.
Sterling has consistency but I really don't get the hype about him. Not worth £50mil.

Stones had a shaky few weeks but he seems to be over that now and re-finding the form he had before his injury. He's utter class and keeps getting better.

Heard Hodgson is going to play him right back vrs France!

Dinosaur

He's a pretty decent RB but I really think these friendly games against top European opposition is the time to put Stones with Smalling and see how they fair together leading into next summer. Rather he did it Friday and left him fresh for the weekend but we can't have that kind of luck at Everton can we...

Dinosaur

Cue the clueless media writing off his entire career after one performance out of position. England will get everything they deserve at the Euros if they go with any pairing other than Snalling and Stones. Cahill and Jones are not good enough for that level, never mind some of the ridiculous calls for Scott Dann.

Just because I know we are going to have to hear this over and over and over and over and over when the media puts him back on sale:

Football is a business. If Barca came in at £50m it'd clearly be a no brainer!

People love pointing out how football is a business. Are they worried we might momentarily forget and start enjoying it as a sport?

It also seems to assume everyone is willing to accept that in business you sell all your best employees and ideas to your most dominant competitors without even giving it serious thought (a "no-brainer!") ... just like in business!

While I will concede there is a similar concept in real business there is one key difference: that's usually the end of the business. You sell to the competitor and then sign a no-compete and either retire or move into another vertical (or work for them I suppose). What they don't do in business is continue trying to compete with the big competitor after they sell them all their best assets and employees ... because that would be COMPLETELY INSANE!

Dinosaur

I can barely believe this man is the England manager - absolutely frightening. For some reason our team qualifying with full points from one of the weakest groups is a great achievement.....

I used to enjoy major tournaments - the buzz of the pubs etc etc - now it is futile getting anything other than optimistic when it comes to the national side. The players all look robotic, no energy or passion.

Watch the Ireland game tonight, it will make us envious as to why our team doesn't play with the same vigour.

I can barely believe this man is the England manager - absolutely frightening. For some reason our team qualifying with full points from one of the weakest groups is a great achievement.....

I used to enjoy major tournaments - the buzz of the pubs etc etc - now it is futile getting anything other than optimistic when it comes to the national side. The players all look robotic, no energy or passion.

Watch the Ireland game tonight, it will make us envious as to why our team doesn't play with the same vigour.

To be fair the only reason I like England qualifying nowadays is I know come game day the pub will always be packed. I've got barely any interest in watching the match because I know it'll just be disappointing and won't amount to anything.

Look at who is the manager! and recall Roy's time at Anfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back