John Textor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is but, don’t hold me to this either, the other 3 board members also have 25% say. So quite easy for his influence to be lost despite having the most shares. Unless what I’ve read is garbage 😂

No doubt, nobody has said he makes the decisions.

I suspect Textor is savvy enough to not want to be the meddling multi ownership Yank owner.

This was 1st March, 2 weeks after hiring Glasner;

On the future

"I don't want to run [Palace] one day. I don't even like running the clubs I have. I'm a fan, we have good football people in place. One of my favourite people on the planet is Dougie Freedman, everybody knows that.

He's even quick to say Parish met Glasner himself and made his own call;

But, this was within hours of Hodgson stepping down;

1717147919484.png

... when Textor was linked with Everton, I'd only recalled his name because I knew he was credited with Glasner's appointment there - before, and in the days afterwards he's been banging the drum.

As linked before;

• 1 March 2024
On hiring new manager Oliver Glasner
"Everybody knows I've been following Oliver Glasner around forever. I love him.
"Steve [Parish] met him independently and he made his own decision on Oliver Glasner.
"I'll tell you why we liked him back from Lyon. If he spoke French, he would be the coach of Lyon now.
"I think he's a better fit for Palace. He's part of the modern breed of managers that manage everything about the player, the body. He runs his players up to 120% of game intensity on a Wednesday and manages their recovery so they go into 90 minutes on a Saturday and they feel it's a walk in the park. At the end of 90 minutes they want to play more.
"As far as his style of play, I thought it was the perfect match. Oliver's theory is that he'd rather win the ball in their half.
"He will set a trap on the press and it's not just one guy going, it's not just two guys going, it's five guys knowing they're going to go and they'll know what part of the pitch they're going to expose. They'll know where the vulnerability is."

So either Textor is just a liar and he can't even have a say on what water they stock in the clubs meeting rooms, or there's a chance he, as majority shareholder/board member did actually have input into that managerial appointment.

I suspect Textor is savvy enough to not want to be the meddling multi ownership Yank owner.

View attachment 258885

... when Textor was linked with Everton, I'd only recalled his name because I knew he was credited with Glasner's appointment there - before, and in the days afterwards he's been banging the drum.

As linked before;

So either Textor is just a liar and he can't even have a say on what water they stock in the clubs meeting rooms, or there's a chance he, as majority shareholder/board member did actually have input into that managerial appointment.
I hope you’re right if he eventually takes over, we’ve learnt the hard way about having an owner who meddles in football affairs too much. He sounds like he wants to have his own people to run the day to day, but still wants more influence on the larger issues. Otherwise he wouldn’t want out of palace, surely? Obviously there is more money to be made out of EFC in the long run, but who knows how long it will take to get us back relatively healthy.

I don't know if there are or not just think there will be others intrested even if it's to flip us once we are in the new stadium.
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there were groups with the view of come in, sort the stadium, make a couple of basic signings for next season, tidy things up at a very basic level, then flip the club a year down the line pre season next year.

View attachment 258885

As linked before;

It's a weird organizational structure. I'm racking my brain as hard as I can, and someone can probably defeat it with Google, but I can't for the life of me think of another place or time with four chairs around the fire with an equal vote making decisions. Three and five are both much better numbers, and the downslope of the Roman Republic speaks to how lousy three is.

If he didn't have input, it's because he was the odd man out. Otherwise, he did.

It's a weird organizational structure. I'm racking my brain as hard as I can, and someone can probably defeat it with Google, but I can't for the life of me think of another place or time with four chairs around the fire with an equal vote making decisions. Three and five are both much better numbers, and the downslope of the Roman Republic speaks to how lousy three is.

If he didn't have input, it's because he was the odd man out. Otherwise, he did.

I understand it, but I don't understand the view which prompted my first post that one of those around that fire have no say. It might not be a controlling vote/decision, but they all have a say/input.

The weird thing with Textor, to me at least, is he's quick to say he doesn't want to run a football club, but then he wants more control which he, IMO, hides behind "collaboration". Maybe I'm missing his point?

On the future

"I don't want to run [Palace] one day. I don't even like running the clubs I have. I'm a fan, we have good football people in place. One of my favourite people on the planet is Dougie Freedman, everybody knows that.

"The only place where I think I would like to see more collaboration is when Palace is struggling with those reserves and struggling with injuries and I have a boat-load of athletes.

"I'm in it for the long game. Is there a possibility that if we can't achieve greater collaboration that we would consider selling our interest in Palace? It's possible. Would we consider buying more? I think we'd prefer that. This is a message to the fans again. They have a club where everybody who owns stock wants to own more of it. Why are they complaining?

My gut feeling is he's wary of being that meddling multi owner Yank. So he says he has no interest in running a club, but that mask occasionally slips and actions>words.

[Edit] And having just 'googled', I found this Athletic article;

1717149992508.png

I understand it, but I don't understand the view which prompted my first post that one of those around that fire have no say. It might not be a controlling vote/decision, but they all have a say/input.

The weird thing with Textor, to me at least, is he's quick to say he doesn't want to run a football club, but then he wants more control which he, IMO, hides behind "collaboration". Maybe I'm missing his point?

My gut feeling is he's wary of being that meddling multi owner Yank. So he says he has no interest in running a club, but that mask occasionally slips and actions>words.

And having just 'googled', I found this Athletic article;

View attachment 258893
Without researching the matter, I would guess that he wants his 45% to carry more weight. If we're talking one share one vote, it should probably be the case that a 2-2 vote breaks his way, and only a 1-3 can defeat him.

I'm not sure that I would call that collaborative, but I would call it less than control.

I hope you’re right if he eventually takes over, we’ve learnt the hard way about having an owner who meddles in football affairs too much. He sounds like he wants to have his own people to run the day to day, but still wants more influence on the larger issues. Otherwise he wouldn’t want out of palace, surely? Obviously there is more money to be made out of EFC in the long run, but who knows how long it will take to get us back relatively healthy.

One thing in his favour he wont have are old "world class " board of Directors handicapping him. That's a big plus.

[Edit] And having just 'googled', I found this Athletic article;

View attachment 258893
It's pretty clear he doesn't want to run a club,but wants to pick the people who do it for him.

It's pretty clear he doesn't want to run a club,but wants to pick the people who do it for him.

Strange then to be so vocal on managerial appointments?

I mean, don't Lyon have their version of a Director of Football? So why is Textor shouting about managers?

As I say, I'm a tad suspicious of what he says Vs what he actually does. It doesn't correlate to me but then, I understand why he'd downplay his role because like I said - perception around multi club owner meddling American.

I mean, don't Lyon have their version of a Director of Football? So why is Textor shouting about managers?

As I say, I'm a tad suspicious of what he says Vs what he actually does. It doesn't correlate to me but then, I understand why he'd downplay his role because like I said - perception around multi club owner meddling American.
There’s parallels to Moshiri/Usmonov at Arsenal not having enough control, then making a big mess here.

Just hope history doesn’t repeat itself and we go round in circles.

As with what I was saying yesterday, he makes me nervous. If he takes over hopefully he’ll do things sensibly and let the football people do the thinking

Think any new owner will want a say in how the club is run,at least he's got some previous experience,and has admitted he's made some mistakes,and is on the record as saying he wants "football people" to be in place from now on.That in itself is a big plus compared to the Moshiri Kenwright [Poor language removed] show.

I'm kind of in @Alan Whittle camp with this. If he fully owns Lyon and wanted him there, wouldn't he deep down preferred him not to go to Palace?

Also the timing is a bit off as Glasner was appointed after Textor had already put his Palace shares up for sale. Could it be Parish giving two fingers up to the American?

I'm not saying any of that is true but just as likely as Textor being the Parish whisperer cooing him to pick a particular manager.
We also don’t know if Textor was pushing for Glasner last summer for Palace or pre Christmas when he was still invested in the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back