John Textor

If there is a Peace it will have to be a lasting meaningful peace and not a hasty 'peace any cost' leaves a bad taste peace
But that said there's also no such thing as a bad Peace and the sooner the better.
It won't be a case of peace on Monday - Sanctions lifted on Tuesday, It never happens that way - it will be years down the track as an oh by the way thing
If Russia footing the bill for rebuilding Ukrainian infrastructure and damages is part of the settlement, then the sanctions will be lifted as fast as you can say western bidder for construction contracts. Then it will be sports washing time with us in prime position now Chelsea has been lost from Russian influence.

If Trump gets in power then there is no guarantee he can end the war soon as Ukraine is at the point of collapse in the east and Russia will be eyeing up their stated end goal of taking all the 4 oblast in the east and want Donbass as a minimum if not the rest of Kherson region. Also no deal will be made with Ukrainian presence in Kursk. Time will tell if the Russians want more.

I think a better option would be to go down the Textor route and not idly speculate on how a war in Europe affects us.

The ESK reckons we will be £600 million in debts soon if we don't get sold soon ....?
Plus £600M, 700M, 800M or more for the stadium
And
All this day to day running cost shiz.

Somebody need to legally Make Mosh sign, shove a tenner down his jacket front pocket and boot him out the door into the gutter of history.

Last edited:

It won't be a case of peace on Monday - Sanctions lifted on Tuesday, It never happens that way - it will be years down the track as an oh by the way thing

I agree with the poster that said we can’t be pining our hopes on the outcome of a foreign war. However, I don’t think the removal of sanctions will be a ‘down the track, oh by the way thing’.

The sanctions currently make it impossible for any Russian individual or company to do business with the West, so I think the sanctions will be a key point in negotiating peace. They will be an important part of the peace negotiations, and won’t be an afterthought.

Maybe certain individuals will remain sanctioned, maybe not, but the blanket ban on business with Russian entities will come to a swift end imo.

I agree with the poster that said we can’t be pining our hopes on the outcome of a foreign war. However, I don’t think the removal of sanctions will be a ‘down the track, oh by the way thing’.

The sanctions currently make it impossible for any Russian individual or company to do business with the West, so I think the sanctions will be a key point in negotiating peace. They will be an important part of the peace negotiations, and won’t be an afterthought.

Maybe certain individuals will remain sanctioned, maybe not, but the blanket ban on business with Russian entities will come to a swift end imo.

The sanctions are to diminish and weaken the Russian war machine

They will not be on the table in terms of a "peace settlement" also the West is not a party to the war. They are not a "belligerent"

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding about what the sanctions are in place for

The effect of sanctions is in 2025/2026 going to become more apparent because Russian government spending which has reduced the impact on the average Russian won't keep up with the costs/inflation they are experiencing as a result of the sanctions. The Bank of Russia own projections state an expectation of the war ending in 2025. That isn't going to happen unless they withdraw

Even then Western sanctions will remain firmly in place

No doubt there will and probably is The day after Peace breaks out unofficial business going on But if only 1 Oligarch remains de-sanctioned - we all know which one it will be

Last edited:
The ESK reckons we will be £600 million in debts soon if we don't get sold soon ....?
This is not anything new or any great revelation on his part. It's commonly known we have a negative monthly cash flow (and have for three years at least). Until we get to BMD and we get an income boost as a result, that gap is not being bridged. 600m is just another of many depressing milestones with Moshiri.

There is also the concerning factor that we are (allegedly) not even paying the interest on some of our debt and that is capitalising and adding to the debt pile. BMD only solves the ongoing gap between income and expense, it's not enough of itself to cure our debt problems. That needs a new owner who can pay off some of the debt and restructure the balance over a longer timeframe and at a reduced interest rate.

RMF and 777/A-Cap need to be removed from the balance sheet as soon as possible.

If the war in Ukraine finished tomorrow then I do think Moshiri/Usmanov would certainly keep the club. I think at that point there would be no point in denying that Usmanov was the power broker and as soon as possible he would involve himself in the ownership of the company.

The stadium is all but built , Usmanov could buy some or all of the shares from Moshiri , inject equity into the company to pay off loans which would probably be a PL requirement and then he is firmly in charge of a debt free club with a new stadium.

I think people would be surprised at how quickly restrictions on Russian oligarchs and on Russian trade would be lifted. Ultimately the ability to earn money is what drives these decisions.

I really would not be surprised if the continuing delay in the sale of the company is a tactic to stretch it as long as possible to either see the war finish or get an investor that will work with Usmanov at some future date.

Why are you talking as if the end of the war would mean the end of sanctions?

No doubt there will and probably is The day after Peace breaks no doubt there will be and probably is unofficial business going on But if only 1 Oligarch remains de-sanctioned - we all know which one it will be

There is absolutely no chance that the EU will remove sanctions even if Russia withdraws

Poland is spending an enormous amount as a % of its GDP to counter the Russians as are various eastern and Nordic states

The UK isn't because it sits behind its independent nuclear deterrent. So people on here are misreading the situation

Anyone who thinks that the sanctions are either on the table to be removed or will be any time in the next 10 years is not understanding the reality

The sanctions are likely to increase with more secondary sanctions.

Not decrease

Probably, yes. Assuming the man at the top is removed from power and held to account (however than pans out) and a new more palatable regime comes to power, this could be a quick turnaround. All sides will want stability and uncomfortable compromises will 100% be needed to gain the co-operation of the power brokers in Russia.

It was the same post the fall of the Soviets, this will be no different when the time comes. The question for Everton, if we are still in sales limbo by the time that happens, is where that leaves Moshiri's business partner. It's entirely possible he may wish to retain a low profile and further investment into a premier league side is not really compatible with that.

Probably, yes. Assuming the man at the top is removed from power and held to account (however than pans out) and a new more palatable regime comes to power, this could be a quick turnaround. All sides will want stability and uncomfortable compromises will 100% be needed to gain the co-operation of the power brokers in Russia.

It was the same post the fall of the Soviets, this will be no different when the time comes. The question for Everton, if we are still in sales limbo by the time that happens, is where that leaves Moshiri's business partner. It's entirely possible he may wish to retain a low profile and further investment into a premier league side is not really compatible with that.

Again. You're misreading the situation entirely

There is no imminent prospect of sanctions being removed even if Putin were removed tomorrow

The sanctions are to diminish and weaken the Russian war machine

They will not be on the table in terms of a "peace settlement" also the West is not a party to the war. They are not a "belligerent"

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding about what the sanctions are in place for

The effect of sanctions is in 2025/2026 going to become more apparent because Russian government spending which has refuced the impact on the average Russian won't keep up with the costs/inflation they are experiencing. The Bank of Russia own projections state an expectation of the war ending in 2025. That isn't going to happen unless they withdraw

Even then Western sanctions will remain firmly in place

The West is a de facto belligerent, hence the sanctions from the West against Russia. You will also hear the West being referred to by Russia when they cite their reasons for going to war in the first place. The West is heavily involved in the conflict, and the West will be heavily involved in the conflict’s ending. They will be heavily involved in peace negotiations.

I accept that the relative strength of each party will make a difference when negotiating. A defeated party won’t be able to negotiate anything. But a stalemate were nobody is winning and everybody is losing could allow for flexibility in negotiation, and neither you or I know whether the blanket ban on all Russian entities doing business with the West will be up for discussion or not.

Personally, I think it will be up for discussion when it comes to the negotiation of peace, and I don’t expect the blanket ban on all Russian entities to continue indefinitely.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back