Join me in the spirit realm.

Began my annual chrimbo flirtation with brandy tonight. This year's offering is a cognac from Frapin:

20231228_172916.webp

Very elegant bottle, and a lovely colour. Sugary vanilla and plum nose, high tannin, really clings to the glass.

Sugar and stewed fruit taste, slightly smokey with a light burn and an apple aftertaste. Really good, like this one.

Did they jack the price up or play it fair and square?

…..I saw a bottle on-line recently for over £100. No idea where this stock has come from but I think it was you who put me onto this source, so that is much appreciated. These are probably dearer than they usually charge, but its absolutely fine as it’ll almost certainly be the last.

Anyway, 10 bottles have just arrived, will crack a bottle tonight for my new granddaughter who arrived a week ago, any excuse.

…..I saw a bottle on-line recently for over £100. No idea where this stock has come from but I think it was you who put me onto this source, so that is much appreciated. These are probably dearer than they usually charge, but its absolutely fine as it’ll almost certainly be the last.

Anyway, 10 bottles have just arrived, will crack a bottle tonight for my new granddaughter who arrived a week ago, any excuse.
I’m really surprised no one has picked up the brand/recipe and relaunched - I’m certain there’s a market for Aussie whites.

I’m really surprised no one has picked up the brand/recipe and relaunched - I’m certain there’s a market for Aussie whites.

….i think it’s a very ‘local’ drink to Liverpool. I remember introducing my now daughter-in-law to it some years ago, she loved it & tried to buy a bottle in Formby where she lived & was told ‘we don’t sell that, it’s what the plonkies drink in Liverpool’. To be fair, it’s a lot different to the Aussies I drank in the 70s.

….i think it’s a very ‘local’ drink to Liverpool. I remember introducing my now daughter-in-law to it some years ago, she loved it & tried to buy a bottle in Formby where she lived & was told ‘we don’t sell that, it’s what the plonkies drink in Liverpool’. To be fair, it’s a lot different to the Aussies I drank in the 70s.
Thought it had wider appeal. I used to work for a company that imported the stuff and we had orders all over the country.

Maybe the demographic has changed and the punters just aren’t there? Very sad.

All the priests use it watered down for the alter wine/blood of Christ, so god knows what they are gonna do!

She's starting early

Seems like rum and gin are the most favored drinks in this thread.
Out of curiosity are whiskey/whisky not popular drinks of choice in England?

Personally like a good scotch or a rye whiskey.

I think there's a fine line between nice and rubbish whisky. I'm liking the Japanese stuff at the minute but it blows your brain out. I had a large glass of one months ago and I was asleep on the couch in no time. 50 off % to be fair.

Surprisingly that Proper 12 Conor McGregor one is bloody lovely I think.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back