Joleon Lescott

Sell Lescott?

• Yes, for £18m to £20m - with all money being given to Moyes to spend

Votes: 116 45.0%
  • No way - we must keep him at the club.

Votes: 142 55.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like this article by Leighton Baines:

Leighton Baines is adamant that Manchester City are trying to play 'fantasy football'.

City have already spent £80m on four players this summer, and have made no attempt to hide their admiration for current Everton defender Joleon Lescott. Having believed to have been interested in the England international since the turn of the year, City have already had one bid rejected by Everton this summer and Baines thinks that City are too eager to succeed straight away.

Speaking to the Mirror, Baines said: "We're not worried about what is going on at City. It's actually quite interesting to see how they get on with it.

"With so many big-name players coming in, you have to think there is a lot of pressure on them to deliver this season. They haven't really got time - it's almost like fantasy football."

The left back, who completed 90 minutes against River Plate early this morning, is also adamant that Everton are doing things the right way, despite being a little envious over City's new found riches.

"The funds they've got have not been available at Everton over the last few years. We've done things a lot steadier going forward.

"City are looking to speed up the process, and best of luck to them, but at Everton we're proud of what we've done over the last few years.

"We are a close-knit bunch - that can give you the extra per cent to get nearer the top, as opposed to just bringing in big-money player."

I agree we don't need the outlandish investments of chelski and city.

with moyes in place and our strong heritage and solid fan base, a decent level of investment will be enough to stabilise our current position and gradually push on to the next level.

what that means or who that might be in real terms i don't know ..i just hope some solution can be found sooner rather than later and we no longer have to endure the ongoing torment of transfer window impotency and humiliation. :(

Like this article by Leighton Baines:

Leighton Baines is adamant that Manchester City are trying to play 'fantasy football'.

City have already spent £80m on four players this summer, and have made no attempt to hide their admiration for current Everton defender Joleon Lescott. Having believed to have been interested in the England international since the turn of the year, City have already had one bid rejected by Everton this summer and Baines thinks that City are too eager to succeed straight away.

Speaking to the Mirror, Baines said: "We're not worried about what is going on at City. It's actually quite interesting to see how they get on with it.

"With so many big-name players coming in, you have to think there is a lot of pressure on them to deliver this season. They haven't really got time - it's almost like fantasy football."

The left back, who completed 90 minutes against River Plate early this morning, is also adamant that Everton are doing things the right way, despite being a little envious over City's new found riches.

"The funds they've got have not been available at Everton over the last few years. We've done things a lot steadier going forward.

"City are looking to speed up the process, and best of luck to them, but at Everton we're proud of what we've done over the last few years.

"We are a close-knit bunch - that can give you the extra per cent to get nearer the top, as opposed to just bringing in big-money player."

This is probably the best article you'll read all summer to be honest.

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - Everton FC - News - David Prentice: Mikel Arteta articulates Everton FC fans' fears

David Prentice: Mikel Arteta articulates Everton FC fans' fears

MIKEL ARTETA usually lets his feet do the talking – and when he does Evertonians pay attention. But when Everton’s best little Spaniard opens his mouth he can be equally as eloquent, too.
You could almost hear the club interviewer choking on his questions as Arteta explained exactly what he thought about Everton’s summer transfer policy on the club’s official website.
“We have to strengthen the team and at the moment we haven’t done it,” he said.
“But we’ve signed Jo,” countered the man with the mic.
Mikel countered like Cristiano Ronaldo in a Champions League quarter-final at the Emirates. “Jo’s a big name, but it’s not like a new signing because he was here before with us,” he rapped.
The club man valiantly came back. “Yes, but David Moyes is really good at picking up bargains. You were a bargain, so was Tim Cahill and so was Joleon Lescott.”
“If he’s able to do that with good players, give him a chance with big, big names and we will see what we are able to do,” said Mikel. “He knows how to get 100% out of players, but that doesn’t mean a club like us should not have ambition to fight and try to get the top players.”
Point made.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum doesn’t have an easy Spanish translation, but Mikel Arteta understands the concept totally.
And it’s why when Evertonians sing he’s the best little Spaniard they know, it’s not just his football they’re talking about.

If their Arab owners don't get fed up with their City plaything and really have a long term strategy, I'm sure they'll get it right eventually. Money can and will be buying you success in the end. Only saying, that it's not the way I'd prefer to do it at Everton.

It's a relative thing though. You have to have money, you cant do it with your own academy. Barca dont do it with their own academy. It might still be possible in say Holland for AZ to come through and take a trophy, but not here. You either match the top four financially or you become also rans. If not winning a trophy is ok for you then, yeah, I take your point.

This is probably the best article you'll read all summer to be honest.

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - Everton FC - News - David Prentice: Mikel Arteta articulates Everton FC fans' fears

David Prentice: Mikel Arteta articulates Everton FC fans' fears

MIKEL ARTETA usually lets his feet do the talking – and when he does Evertonians pay attention. But when Everton’s best little Spaniard opens his mouth he can be equally as eloquent, too.
You could almost hear the club interviewer choking on his questions as Arteta explained exactly what he thought about Everton’s summer transfer policy on the club’s official website.
“We have to strengthen the team and at the moment we haven’t done it,” he said.
“But we’ve signed Jo,” countered the man with the mic.
Mikel countered like Cristiano Ronaldo in a Champions League quarter-final at the Emirates. “Jo’s a big name, but it’s not like a new signing because he was here before with us,” he rapped.
The club man valiantly came back. “Yes, but David Moyes is really good at picking up bargains. You were a bargain, so was Tim Cahill and so was Joleon Lescott.”
“If he’s able to do that with good players, give him a chance with big, big names and we will see what we are able to do,” said Mikel. “He knows how to get 100% out of players, but that doesn’t mean a club like us should not have ambition to fight and try to get the top players.”
Point made.
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum doesn’t have an easy Spanish translation, but Mikel Arteta understands the concept totally.
And it’s why when Evertonians sing he’s the best little Spaniard they know, it’s not just his football they’re talking about.

Shocked that one got through the Echo's filter system, tbh. Well said Mikel.

It's a relative thing though. You have to have money, you cant do it with your own academy. Barca dont do it with their own academy. It might still be possible in say Holland for AZ to come through and take a trophy, but not here. You either match the top four financially or you become also rans. If not winning a trophy is ok for you then, yeah, I take your point.

As said, I'm not blind for the obvious. I do understand we need major investment to stand any chance of challenging the Sky four on a regular basis. Shouldn't be all about the money though. I prefer building for success with Spurs/Villa like money, instead of looking for the quick fix, as done by City.

I also do realise you can't expect do it solely with your academy, but it should definately be one of the elements in achieving your ambition. Oh and I would love to see Everton winning trophies, no doubt about that.

As for the situation with AZ in Holland. AZ is the first and only club in Holland that's 100% owned by one person. Multi millionaire Dirk Scheringa, owner of the Dutch SNS bank group. He put a lot of money into AZ and is able to match both PSV and Ajax with wages for players. So, it's the same situation as in England really, only on a much smaller scale than compared to the English PL.

Ill wait untill City's accounts come out before i judge their owners, still think they will be no great shakes this season, certainly dont beleive they will finish ahead of Everton, i take the fact that they have to blow about 200 mill even to have an outside chance of doing it.

Im not convinced it will take 10's of milions to get into the CL i think we will compete for it this year.

But what they are doing is raiding clubs like Eveton and robbing them of their better players to leave Everton in deep pooh pooh. They can afford to buy with silly amounts we cannot afford to let go.

But what they are doing is raiding clubs like Eveton and robbing them of their better players to leave Everton in deep pooh pooh. They can afford to buy with silly amounts we cannot afford to let go.

Really? What player have they signed who hasnt caused the worng headlines or had questions over there loayalty, at their old clubs? None of them are the pinnnacle of footballing heroism and a team will never be made out of that lot. In fact they have signed no one who really isnt a bad egg. Which player have they signed have we not played against before and handled? I dont envy City i feel sorry for them. They will fade as the weather changes they always do.

Its a sad day when Evertonians look at clubs like Man City with envy.

I agree with all of this and I said it many times before in this thread. I do realise we need investment!!! It's just I don't want to become like City and I don't think we need to be like that, to be more succesfull than City will ever be. If Moyes had Spurs resources for the time he spend here, we'd be a top four challenger by now. No doubt what so ever about that in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back