2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, on reflection I made too big a deal out of the "dangerous" action part of that clearance by Pickford. It was never in the "Schumacher" category and I hold my hands up to that and apologise.

However, there IS a legitimate concern here about a GK making excitable decisions.

All told (and WC aside) I thought Pickford had a fairly undistinguised first season here at Everton and I've seen nothing this season that makes me feel we've got a top class GK. Perfectly acceptable for where we are now as a club? Yes. Is he someone we need to be overly concerned about losing in near future transfer windows? No, not for me.

Ok, on reflection I made too big a deal out of the "dangerous" action part of that clearance by Pickford. It was never in the "Schumacher" category and I hold my hands up to that and apologise.

However, there IS a legitimate concern here about a GK making excitable decisions.

All told (and WC aside) I thought Pickford had a fairly undistinguised first season here at Everton and I've seen nothing this season that makes me feel we've got a top class GK. Perfectly acceptable for where we are now as a club? Yes. Is he someone we need to be overly concerned about losing in near future transfer windows? No, not for me.

Bookmarking this. Feel like I’m on shrooms.

His reactions and speed of movement are off the scale. His decision making isn't bad but will improve with age. The concern I have - like that borderline reckless challenge, is that his movement isnt fluid, it's jerky. Perhaps it's a result of the speed with which he moves his limbs, but my doubts are about his longevity in the game careerwise. I really hope not, but before long he could fling himself head first into a goal post, after a ball that's heading 2 yards wide, or simply strain his joints with all those dramatic leaps or whipping limbs.

Perhaps its just because I'm ageing and decrepit now myself that his movement looks simply painful!

any team in the premier league would want their goalie to do what Pickford did (vs Ings) - absolutely a non-issue.

I notice Hughes never mentioned the 5 yellow cards his team go for blatantly kicking our players. They certainly got away with it, they could easily have had one or more sent off.

D let it go man.

The kids good. You can say that. It won’t break Roberto’s heart.

Ings should’ve been sent off. Late, out of control and endangering his opponent. We’re lucky Pickford had the awareness to volley him out of the way before he got hurt.

tongue in cheek i know but if Pickford isnt as convincing with his kick than that ends up a foul by ings on Pickford

You know the type of fould that always gets given when a defender clears the ball up the line and his follow through connects with the player trying to block the ball and the free kick gets given to the guy that has just cleared the ball

I think we should be concerned, I think getting a young solid keeper like Pickford in the Premiership is pretty rare find these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back