2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could he have done better? Obviously, but it's a pretty pedantic point to argue.

You're asking for perfection at that point and it doesn't matter how good anyone is, you're not getting perfection every week.
I can agree with that. I explained my reaction when I saw the goal and left it at that. I’m reacting to the countless posts that came after moaning about criticism.

Everytime I hear him scream at someone inside the box I get a warm feeling as I remember he's not the man with invisible hands or Joey Robles

We should put in a true giant who’ll command that god damn six yard box.

E760CFFA-9CCF-493E-B1CD-2598A5922112.webp

Pickford commands his six-yard box better than any of our former 'keepers up to Martyn.

You're picking on a really weird point.

But he doesn't does he...

Corners & crosses are his weakness without a doubt...

He stays on his line almost always...

Watch him & observe...

What about when the cross is landing on your 6ft 4 defender’s head?
Goalkeepers can use their hands. I agreed with others that it was a great cross and not a huge mistake by Pickford. Zouma was a little more responsible than Jordan, but a keeper should deal with something that close. He was caught off guard by the cross.

4 clean sheets in 5 games for betis this season, bring a blue home @Joey66

A clean sheet against the mighty F91 Dudelange will get him that move to Real like so many said he would.

But he doesn't does he...

Corners & crosses are his weakness without a doubt...

He stays on his line almost always...

Watch him & observe...

He really does command his box well.

It's a myth that he doesn't.

Goalkeepers can use their hands. I agreed with others that it was a great cross and not a huge mistake by Pickford. Zouma was a little more responsible than Jordan, but a keeper should deal with something that close. He was caught off guard by the cross.

If Dunk was in front of Zouma then yes, the goalkeeper obviously has to take charge. But he wasn’t, and it was not a hard header to make.

If Dunk was in front of Zouma then yes, the goalkeeper obviously has to take charge. But he wasn’t, and it was not a hard header to make.
It’s fair to argue that Zouma should have dealt with it, and honestly he may have called Pickford off. Pickford definitely could have gotten a hand to it though because as you said earlier, it literally fell on Dunk’s head. Who knows what really happened on the field. I was surprised Pickford was rooted the way he was watching it real time

You shouldn't jump down people's throats for being a little bit critical though to be fair

It's not like that lad is burying him or anything, he's just being a tad critical

That's fine. I'd even argue it's healthy

That's a big problem on here to be honest and has been that way for ages. People respond to light criticism the same way they would to a burial and thus we never really have any proper discussion and it just becomes a schism between those being wildly negative and those being excessively positive

I should point out that I love Pickford and think he's boss btw

Not the case at all, I’ve criticised him after the Neves goal and West Ham game in this very thread. It’s when people make errors up for the sake of it that I respond.

It’s fair to argue that Zouma should have dealt with it, and honestly he may have called Pickford off. Pickford definitely could have gotten a hand to it though because as you said earlier, it literally fell on Dunk’s head. Who knows what really happened on the field. I was surprised Pickford was rooted the way he was watching it real time

What I mean is, the cross was pretty much falling directly on Zouma’s head. He was in front of Dunk so was always the favourite, the fact he timed the jump so badly is on him. I would never expect a keeper to come flying into a centre back who’s so clearly in charge of a situation. It breeds more panic and uncertainty if anything.

Not the case at all, I’ve criticised him after the Neves goal and West Ham game in this very thread. It’s when people make errors up for the sake of it that I respond.

They've not made stuff up, you just disagree with their view point

That's no reason to attack some one

Again, any criticism I've seen in here has been pretty light

Trust me, if people were going OTT with having a go at Pickford I'd be the first to raise my ire, but that's not happening here

It's okay for someone to have a view point you disagree with. You don't have to batter them for it

Stuff like that only leads to people being afraid to post and shuts down debate

What I mean is, the cross was pretty much falling directly on Zouma’s head. He was in front of Dunk so was always the favourite, the fact he timed the jump so badly is on him. I would never expect a keeper to come flying into a centre back who’s so clearly in charge of a situation. It breeds more panic and uncertainty if anything.
And that is a perfectly fair argument. As I said, I have no idea what actually happened on the field. All I know is if Pickford bets on Zouma there as you said, he has almost zero chance of making a save on a header that close to the goal. Still, it’s fair to question whether he should go for it or rely on his defender. It was a really good cross that undid both of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back