2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constructive criticism does not hurt anyone, continuous improvement is required if you want to move forward...

Pickford is a good keeper but has faults, so to improve he has to work on his weaknesses...

It is not unreasonable to expect Pickford to claim crosses in the six yard box...

Go back and watch the cross in question. If he comes and doesn't make it - and that's a good chance considering how good it was - he's getting slaughtered.

He didn't. Zouma didn't make the header. They scored. We won the game as he made a few more saves. Move on.

Constructive criticism does not hurt anyone, continuous improvement is required if you want to move forward...

Pickford is a good keeper but has faults, so to improve he has to work on his weaknesses...

It is not unreasonable to expect Pickford to claim crosses in the six yard box...

Hi mate. It is actually totally unreasonable to expect your goalkeeper to claim every single ball that enters the six yard box. Have a good night’s sleep x

The criticism levelled at our former keepers - and I'm talking Howard, Joel, Stek here - was mostly fair considering how poorly they performed at times.

Joel didn't get a fair shake of the stack by a few because he had shown himself to be a massive dope who had at least a clanger a game in him.

Pickford doesn't have that. Time to move on.
You can still critique a keeper and support him. Apologists are just as bad as moaners. I think we can all admit he should have done better, but it wasn’t the biggest mistake we’ve ever seen.

Go back and watch the cross in question. If he comes and doesn't make it - and that's a good chance considering how good it was - he's getting slaughtered.

He didn't. Zouma didn't make the header. They scored. We won the game as he made a few more saves. Move on.

Spot on. Short corners are designed to change the angle of the cross. This was a particularly good example of one, and played in at such an angle that anyone between the the crosser and Pickford is favourite for the ball.

The lad is impulsive and has the odd mistake in him, but while those errors are few and far between I’m a fan and excited to see how he develops as he matures and (hopefully) eradicates those bad bits.

You can still critique a keeper and support him. Apologists are just as bad as moaners. I think we can all admit he should have done better, but it wasn’t the biggest mistake we’ve ever seen.

Why should he have done better? Why should he come flying out to clatter his centre back who’s perfectly stationed to head the cross away?

Why should he have done better? Why should he come flying out to clatter his centre back who’s perfectly stationed to head the cross away?
It’s halfway in his six yard box. Chances are Zouma or Dunk will head it into the net the way it was angled. He may have gotten to it if he wasn’t caught flat footed (which someone pointed out he was carrying a knock so maybe it played a part).

Because the centre half didn't and it was 3 yards out he should have come for it,but the score reflects it didn't matter but he can still be at fault even though he is a good keeper.
Exactly. I like Pickford way more than our past keepers. If he can command the box a little better, he can be great. He is a top shot stopper, his distribution is excellent at times and he is still in his mid 20’s. Tons of room to improve and he is already a good keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back