2023/24 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually don’t see this viewpoint tossed around but it’s 100% correct. Pickford should have probably been sold at least 2 seasons ago. Keeper remains the most replaceable position.
If your never ending pursuit of wanting Pickford leaving (Along with the odd few other people who think real life is like football manager) happened 2 years ago. We would not be in the premier league today

If your never ending pursuit of wanting Pickford leaving (Along with the odd few other people who think real life is like football manager) happened 2 years ago. We would not be in the premier league today
You don’t know that though. What if by selling Pickford and replacing him with someone cheaper we had enough money to buy Gyokeres instead of Beto? Then yeah we concede a few more but score more too. People think far too black and white with this kind of thing. We wouldn’t replace Pickford with a chair.

Another way it goes is we sell Pickford and don’t have to give points back because we don’t breach the rules (admittedly haven’t crunched the numbers and don’t know how plausible that is). But generally it’s not so simple where losing Pickford means every shot goes in and we concede 250 goals next season. I promise we can put a professional in goal still!

Name them?

Take that list, cut out the players we can’t afford or who wouldn’t come here, cut out conservatively 50% who’d be too much of a downgrade and you’re probably left with 25+ guys. Happy hunting.

And that’s just big 5 leagues, there is talent in other places as well.

You don’t know that though. What if by selling Pickford and replacing him with someone cheaper we had enough money to buy Gyokeres instead of Beto? Then yeah we concede a few more but score more too. People think far too black and white with this kind of thing. We wouldn’t replace Pickford with a chair.

Another way it goes is we sell Pickford and don’t have to give points back because we don’t breach the rules (admittedly haven’t crunched the numbers and don’t know how plausible that is). But generally it’s not so simple where losing Pickford means every shot goes in and we concede 250 goals next season. I promise we can put a professional in goal still!
Gyokeres quite sensibly didn’t want to come to us. We also spent more on Beto than Gyokeres was sold for. So your arguement doesn’t stand up.

Also not a chance gyokeres has the same season he had with Sporting if he comes to us.

Gyokeres quite sensibly didn’t want to come to us. We also spent more on Beto than Gyokeres was sold for. So your arguement doesn’t stand up.

Also not a chance gyokeres has the same season he had with Sporting if he comes to us.
I’m getting confused on Gyokeres but that’s also not the point so much as people should think about opportunity costs on occasion.

It's pretty well known (and seems to be proven every year) that conceding more and scoring more typically doesn't work at the bottom of the table.

As far as PSR goes, I don't think anyone though the penalties would be this severe (remember we only knew about the penalties in October last year), it was too late by then to make a difference for either year.

In a vacuum I agree with what you're saying, but if you don't believe Pickford is worth more than an average keeper, who else would?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.