2023/24 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you make the point without realizing it though. When you’re at the top and fine margins matter a slightly better keeper can make all the difference. We’re not at the top. A slight GK downgrade that allows us to not play Jack Harrison 30+ times would go a long way for us in our current state. If we have Trevor Steven on the right that’s a different equation.
Jack Harrison does he play in goal FGS?

When playing he did control his box far more, allowing our defence to push up a bit more on set pieces - it’s all about having a balanced keeper Pickford is poor on crosses ....
I agree I’d like him to command his area better I do think he’s improved on it, be ideal if we had a balanced player everywhere but we haven’t. As bad as he might be commanding his area he’s by far our best and most important player and we could place the 10 players ahead of him before the GK position becomes a problem.

You don’t know that though. What if by selling Pickford and replacing him with someone cheaper we had enough money to buy Gyokeres instead of Beto? Then yeah we concede a few more but score more too. People think far too black and white with this kind of thing. We wouldn’t replace Pickford with a chair.

Another way it goes is we sell Pickford and don’t have to give points back because we don’t breach the rules (admittedly haven’t crunched the numbers and don’t know how plausible that is). But generally it’s not so simple where losing Pickford means every shot goes in and we concede 250 goals next season. I promise we can put a professional in goal still!

@davek?

When playing he did control his box far more, allowing our defence to push up a bit more on set pieces - its all about having a balanced keeper Pickford is poor on crosses ....
You’re unwavering belief in the unknown is staggering

You’re unwavering belief in the unknown is staggering
Been watching the blues since 1962 -seen some keepers - Pickford is a very good keeper at shot stopping - the rest of his goal keeping is below average - seen many worse play for us - the blues Gordon West & of course Big Nev were way a head of him imo -

I suppose as a stopper he is classy no doubts..

Pickford is one of the best we've had. We have been blessed though with Nev, Martyn, West and even Howard.
Madness to even think of selling him with our team. He is a major reason we are still in the Prem.
I wouldn’t mind selling him if the financial benefit from selling him meant we invested wisely to the point we could all have confidence the team would improve but it simply wouldn’t and for those who are crediting the defence for the amount of goals we shipped, Pickford is part of that triumvirate. I still couldn’t understand how we pulled off that double save from Chelsea I think it was the season before last….incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back