2023/24 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty well known (and seems to be proven every year) that conceding more and scoring more typically doesn't work at the bottom of the table.

As far as PSR goes, I don't think anyone though the penalties would be this severe (remember we only knew about the penalties in October last year), it was too late by then to make a difference for either year.

In a vacuum I agree with what you're saying, but if you don't believe Pickford is worth more than an average keeper, who else would?
Is that known? You’ll find a far higher correlation between goals scored and finishing position up and down the table than you will goals conceded.

Frankly finishing where we did with the second fewest goals scored was a bit of a stroke of luck and while I appreciate Dyche can pull that off more than most he’s also very notably not pulled it off. I’m trading better keeper for better attacker every single day.

You need a good GK and one who the defence trusts. A good GK wins points, the difference between us winning the league and coming runner up one year was that Booby Mimms wasn't Neville Southall.

Pickford is a very good GK who has a fair few seasons left yet and absolutely shouldn't be sold for an inferior product. JP is very reliable these days.

Makes perfect sense to sell our only world class player who is one of the key reasons we remain in the Premiership. Genius.

Apparentely to iwobi there keepers are the easiest replacable members of a team.
Who knew. Might aswell save ourselves a few quid and give Bobby Mimms a call.

You need a good GK and one who the defence trusts. A good GK wins points, the difference between us winning the league and coming runner up one year was that Booby Mimms wasn't Neville Southall.

Pickford is a very good GK who has a fair few seasons left yet and absolutely shouldn't be sold for an inferior product. JP is very reliable these days.
Bobby Mimms did not do badly - it's just he was judged on replacing a world-class keeper in Big Nev - Pickford is far from World Class - just a great shot stopper & a flapper on high balls - not an all round keeper a good one, but that's all - Virginia is a better all round keeper IMO .... Virginia commands his box & has never let us down when asked upon ....

If anyone came in for him, then he is replaceable

I think you make the point without realizing it though. When you’re at the top and fine margins matter a slightly better keeper can make all the difference. We’re not at the top. A slight GK downgrade that allows us to not play Jack Harrison 30+ times would go a long way for us in our current state. If we have Trevor Steven on the right that’s a different equation.

Bobby Mimms did not do badly - it's just he was judged on replacing a world-class keeper in Big Nev - Pickford is far from World Class - just a great shot stopper & a flapper on high balls - not an all round keeper a good one, but that's all - Virginia is a better all round keeper IMO .... Virginia commands his box & has never let us down when asked upon ....

He's played 6 flippin times (I added an appearance before).

He's played 6 flippin times (I added an appearance before).
Can you admit Pickford can not come out for a cross under pressure & catch a ball ? Every time he punches flaps etc - don't get me wrong an incredible shot stopper - but not a great all round keeper ....

Watching Virginia, he could do that ....catch the ball ....

Is that known? You’ll find a far higher correlation between goals scored and finishing position up and down the table than you will goals conceded.

Frankly finishing where we did with the second fewest goals scored was a bit of a stroke of luck and while I appreciate Dyche can pull that off more than most he’s also very notably not pulled it off. I’m trading better keeper for better attacker every single day.

You may be right, I don't really care enough to know the statistical analysis. We've had two managers who have come in an fixed our defense and we've had very comfortable finishes where others failed. I don't think it's luck. It's how Dyche has been successful his entire career and while I understand he got Burnley relegated, he also kept them up for years despite the odds. Burnley of this year is a great example of how not to stay in the league.

Again, if that's what you believe then you can't think the market for Pickford is really that great. I'd take better attackers as well, but as you point out they cost more than good keepers.

Can you admit Pickford can not come out for a cross under pressure & catch a ball ? Every time he punches flaps etc - don't get me wrong an incredible shot stopper - but not a great all round keeper ....

Watching Virginia, he could do that ....catch the ball ....

SIX TIMES. One in the premier league. It's beyond comprehension that it's even a thought, so I'll just stop responding.

SIX TIMES. One in the premier league. It's beyond comprehension that it's even a thought, so I'll just stop responding.
It's not his fault he is not selected - Pickford has made gaffs - the one that comes to mind was the Anfield derby away a few seasons ago in the last minute - unpunished - In my day Gordon West an England international a gaff like that = dropped - It does not happen in the Prem in most teams plus when West no 2 Rankin came in & played well he kept his place - times have changed -

Pickford has saved us more than he has let us down - I admit that - but is he a great all round keeper controlling his box = definitely not - flaps at most crosses ....

I am not advocating selling him, but stating he could easily be replaced by an all round keeper - ask yourself why has no big club come in for him over the years - it's the part of his iffy faults I have highlighted -

Virginia is a better all round keeper?? Based on what a couple of appearances have a day off mate there’s literally no way in comparing them ones been a regular premier league keeper and been to 2 international finals the other has done nothing in the game.

Thats some call. A 25yr old keeper who's played less than 40 career games. Half of them in the dutch 2nd division, is a better keeper than the current England number 1 who got selected in the best 11 at the Euros just gone.
You've got some Kahonas to claim that. I'll give you that one.

Virginia is a better all round keeper?? Based on what a couple of appearances have a day off mate there’s literally no way in comparing them ones been a regular premier league keeper and been to 2 international finals the other has done nothing in the game.
When playing he did control his box far more, allowing our defence to push up a bit more on set pieces - its all about having a balanced keeper Pickford is poor on crosses ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.