Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fee is £18mill, if he turns out bad and/or we don't do very well then it'll stay around 18million

if he turns out boss, we start winning stuff/qualify for Europe constantly it will increase, fine with me that

Yeah I know which is bizarre that people are happy to pay a fee for an outfield player who gets rotated, dropped, injured more often, might spend 5-10 years absolute max with us, yet will not spend it on a keeper who is an absolute crucial position, plays every minute of every game, might play 15 years for us. It's mad. The fee isn't an issue, are we getting a good keeper yes or no?

I think we're getting an alright keeper, who is costing us a tad too much

But again, you always pay a premium for English players

I would have liked us to try for Butland and have a proper go at signing him

I have no actual issue with Pickford or the money we're spending on him

The issue I have is that I think we could have maybe got Butland, and that it was at least worth trying

But hey-ho, we're apparently not, so there it is. I'll welcome Jordan and I hope he does a cracking job. Good luck to him, he's not awful or anything and we could sign worse. Time to back him now

Last edited:

get a room

I've crossed swords with him many a time, but when you're right you're right, and Dave hasn't said much wrong in here this morning (Though he has said it in his usual combative and abrasive manner)

Think they already did! ;)

What, you think paying £30M for this GK from a Sunderland team that were hopeless is good business?

Much like your hatred for anyone from the Dutch league, you're allowing the fact that his team is poor to cloud your judgement. You really must get over this whole 'the team/league is rubbish, therefore everyone in it is too' hang up... :o

Begovic - £10M to B'mouth.

WTF were we doing allowing that deal to go through? He is miles better than Pickford and three times cheaper.

Pickford's also got 3x the years left to go in his career.

If the only club in for Begovic is Bournemouth then we are right to swerve.

@davek "Where's the queue of people lining up for him"...

Showing money and spending it well are dual necessities, it's not one or the other.

Dave in sensible post shocker! :p Having said that, in some ways I wouldn't mind us wasting a bunch of money on a player just to show that we can! :)

Why are so many people responding to utter wham from obvious wind ups? It just fills up the thread with responses to utter negative garbage.

It's like big game hunting, and Dave is the biggest game of them all...

Sommer or Horn from the Bundesliga: both way better and more experienced and probably a lot cheaper.

How much do you think they would realistically cost? (Serious question, I largely don't follow German football)

Personally I fully support the club in bringing potentially top class in at a young age and developing them from there. Won't always be successful but for every time that it does, it will be fantastic as a fan to have that.

Exactly what we did with Lukaku, and now we're asking ~£100m for him. If Pickford is worth the same to us in a few years time then I think we'd all be happy with that.

Potential top class...for £30M?

Much like Lukaku then?

People underestimate the importance of a goalkeeper

You can't lose if you don't concede. Scoring 1 goal a game guarantees nothing, conceding none guarantees 38 points...

Jagielka got relegated with Sheff Utd.
Lescott never kicked a ball in the premier league and watched Wolves get relegated from the stands due to injury.
Idrissa Gana Gueye got relegated with Aston Villa.

It means nothing at all. If we were signing the entire Sunderland starting 11, I'd panic. As it is, we're signing a lad who almost single-handedly was the difference between them being relegated in May and being relegated in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back