Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me get this straight.

Wigan players who won the FA Cup and only just got relegated on the final weekend were always going to be terrible.

But the Sunderland Keeper who's overseen his side going down (finishing bottom) with a month to go, with a goal difference 15 worse than the next teams, with arguably a pretty good defence-minded manager is a GREAT idea?

Hmmm....
Wigan didn't get relegated on the final weekend, you utter dilbert, they got relegated in a re-arranged mid week fixture away at Arsenal, where they got battered. They only managed to take it to that game because their clueless manager had managed to get a couple of results out of them at the business end of the season, after a season of failure.

Wigan didn't get relegated on the final weekend, you utter dilbert, they got relegated in a re-arranged mid week fixture away at Arsenal, where they got battered. They only managed to take it to that game because their clueless manager had managed to get a couple of results out of them at the business end of the season, after a season of failure.

Hahahahaha

Depends on the angle and how far out you are and how close the last defender is covering you.

All of those are factors and it's unlikely that can ever be calculated and handed to us as data. You just have to work off crude stats and read between the lines a bit.
Which a crap defense is unlikely to do, as in not give you as much cover. Of course stats like this don't exist but you can make assumptions based on goals conceded and the stats of the defender themselves.

So let me get this straight.

Wigan players who won the FA Cup and only just got relegated on the final weekend were always going to be terrible.

But the Sunderland Keeper who's overseen his side going down (finishing bottom) with a month to go, with a goal difference 15 worse than the next teams, with arguably a pretty good defence-minded manager is a GREAT idea?

Hmmm....
Mate we are picking one player, not four, from a relegated team, who has done well in net despite playing on a team that has allowed more shots per game than every team in the top 5 European leagues bar Burnley. And Moyes is no longer a good manager in any regard

He's proven conclusively he is top quality. I hardly think that's the same situation. What has Pickford done to conclusively prove he can be Waitrose rather than Aldi?

So what matters then Dave, you seem to change opinion depending if it supports your view.

Pickford is very very highly rated by people who know a lot more than we do, he's rated massively by the fans who see him every week, he's been rated since a kid, hence why he has been in every international age caragory for England.

We are paying if true, 17m for him, which I believe will be a English league record fee, were paying that because he's potentially a brilliant keeper in the making.

So what matters then Dave, you seem to change opinion depending if it supports your view.

Pickford is very very highly rated by people who know a lot more than we do, he's rated massively by the fans who see him every week, he's been rated since a kid, hence why he has been in every international age caragory for England.

We are paying if true, 17m for him, which I believe will be a English league record fee, were paying that because he's potentially a brilliant keeper in the making.

No way. Not having that.

Which a crap defense is unlikely to do, as in not give you as much cover. Of course stats like this don't exist but you can make assumptions based on goals conceded and the stats of the defender themselves.
It's all too much data in the end. Common sense at some point trumps it. My version of commonsense tells me that a GK at a club under the cosh is not necessarily a great idea for a club looking to have a GK who can keep focussed all game for the odd times they will need him to perform.

I'd rather we went for Timo Horn or get Schmeichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back