Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get it with Pickford at all. Someone posted a video a few pages back of his highlights and I thought if any of those had gone in, I'd be fuming. The Arsenal game recently when everyone raved over his performance was similar. It reminded me of Howard's MOTM game in the World Cup, but he took much stick from people on here for that, all saves he should be making etc.

I wasn't Howard's biggest fan myself near the end, but the snarky comments about that performance and in comparison to the way Pickford is being built up now, is almost schizophrenic.

Pickford may or may not become a top keeper, but the biggest problem people have with Joel (aside from who signed him and who he previously played for) is that he has a mistake in him. Never mind the fact he has 3 times came into a struggling defence and had a positive effect, or any of the stats that had him up near the top keeper performances in the league for large chunks of the season.

People were content to sit and wait, ignoring good form, on the basis that they knew he would eventually make a mistake... Like every single other player on the planet, goalkeeper or outfield, is bound to do at some point. And when he did, they gleefully jumped on it.

Pickford may well become one of the best, and make me eat my words. But right now, I don't see it. He also has a mistake in him, and he won't be excused for his mistakes here like he is at Sunderland who were a defensive shambles.

Also, he is an unknown in that he would be facing a different challenge. The lad is facing 20+ shots per game this year. Odds are, he's gonna make some saves. Some of the same people advocating him are the same who dismissed Joel's cleansheets because our defense was great, even though we had struggled before he was in the team and once again when he was dropped, but claimed that his cleansheets came from matches when we faced fewer shots, something we have zero evidence of Pickford being comfortable doing.

For me, spending much more on him now than the £8m we offered would be a gamble, let alone £30m. The stick Bolasie and Rom get is bad enough.

People say Goalkeeper is an important position, and rightly so. But it also means any large fees on them come with magnified scrutiny. A Striker can blame tactics or service, a defender is part of a unit. A goalkeeper stands alone and lives or dies by his mistakes. With that amount of money, you need to get it right.

Im not saying not to buy a new keeper, or that we shouldn't break the bank for one. But if/when we do, we should be buying someone who we know categorically will be an improvement on what we have. I'm not convinced he is, not now anyway, and I certainly wouldn't be spending that much on potential.

Dumbfounded by those opening two paragraphs. Pickford has made saves that Howard was never capable of making in his entire career.

Really makes me laugh people writing this lad off and then going on to suggest some gimp like Fraser Forster or Hart.

Dumbfounded by those opening two paragraphs. Pickford has made saves that Howard was never capable of making in his entire career.

Really makes me laugh people writing this lad off and then going on to suggest some gimp like Fraser Forster or Hart.

1s of all, I didn't compare him to Howard, other than to come to are 1 singular performance. And I stand by that assessment. He made a lot of saves in that game, but none of them stood out, it was just quantity.

2nd, Howard had his faults, but he too made some spectacular saves in the time he was here. Let's not rewrite history. Like I say, I wasn't his biggest fan, and I felt he got beaten from long range too often, but you make it sound like he just stood there for 10 years, and that's not really fair.

And finally, I never suggested 1 alternative in my comment, only the we should be cautious on spending record amounts on a still Unproven shot stopper.

As for writing him off, I would suggest it's the other way round. The people on the Pickford bandwagon are building him up to something he currently is not, after 1 year, a year in which he still conceded a lot of goals, kept few cleansheets, made a fair few errors, and saw his side relegated. Not all down to him obviously. I'm just pointing out some of the flaws in his great season.

The people "writing him off" are just pointing out that at the moment, he is not what we need, and certainly not at the ridiculous prices being suggested.

1s of all, I didn't compare him to Howard, other than to come to are 1 singular performance. And I stand by that assessment. He made a lot of saves in that game, but none of them stood out, it was just quantity.

2nd, Howard had his faults, but he too made some spectacular saves in the time he was here. Let's not rewrite history. Like I say, I wasn't his biggest fan, and I felt he got beaten from long range too often, but you make it sound like he just stood there for 10 years, and that's not really fair.

And finally, I never suggested 1 alternative in my comment, only the we should be cautious on spending record amounts on a still Unproven shot stopper.

As for writing him off, I would suggest it's the other way round. The people on the Pickford bandwagon are building him up to something he currently is not, after 1 year, a year in which he still conceded a lot of goals, kept few cleansheets, made a fair few errors, and saw his side relegated. Not all down to him obviously. I'm just pointing out some of the flaws in his great season.

The people "writing him off" are just pointing out that at the moment, he is not what we need, and certainly not at the ridiculous prices being suggested.

You said his performance against Arsenal was similar to Howard's against Belgium, I was saying that some of the saves Pickford made in that game Howard would never have made, he wasn't capable of them because he was crap. It wasn't just a load of daisycutters along the ground straight at him like Howard faced in that game. I'm honestly struggling to recall a save Howard made in his 10 years here where I went "wow, how did he do that?" Pickford has done it multiple times this season, as for the "fair few errors", I can recall one against Swansea towards the end of this season where he came flying out, and that's pretty much it.

Pickfords mistakes came when relegation was confirmed he was superb in all the other games he played ... Wonder how many mistakes Peps latest keeper will make next season my money's on more than Pickford
I can see why he'd be considered but I think he looked quite shaky at the end of the season (eg chelsea). There are better alternatives with less risk than Pickford

Aye, because he doesn't make mistakes all over the shop.

https://www.[Publication is blackli...nsive-errors-anyone-europes-top-five-leagues/

Please don't link to The Sun.

'The Sun', 'Sun', 'Sun Online' and 'Dream Team' are registered trademarks or trade names of News Group Newspapers Limited. Copyright © 2015 News Group Newspapers Limited. All rights reserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back