Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's a great young keeper with room to improve as he gets more experience in the prem.
Even more promising is the fact the board are moving on their primary targets.
I know none have signed yet but early signs bode well.
Up the toffees!

Personally, I wanted us to show we had the balls to go for Pickford as I do think he has everything to be one of the best mate.

But, I do have my reservations - like you - and that's why I wouldn't have been at all unhappy with someone like Forster coming in.

That being said, if Pickford was the next up and coming German keeper (i.e. Karius last year to the red mob) then would we have all been creaming ourselves over this possible deal? Is there extra scrutiny because he's English, as well as the extra hype?

Absolutely spot on - people forget that Karius was comparable directly to Horn little over a year ago.

That's not really how football works.

The keeper coming to claim the ball, whether from crosses or through balls, is about much more than not conceding from that particular attack. It's about relieving pressure, about defenders being able to push up the pitch knowing they can trust the keeper behind them, about not feeling you need to foul an attacker and get yourself sent off because you know there's a decent chance your keeper will save a one on one.

What you're talking about is effectively setting up your entire team to cover the weaknesses of your keeper, which is a quite horrific idea.

Of course I am drastically over-simplifying matters - and not talking about choosing 10 players based on the goalkeepers strengths and weaknesses. Just like it isn't all about shot-stopping as you imply a little ;)

But anyone that doesn't treat the back 4+GK (plus DM's if playing any) as a single unit when blending together their attributes is going to have vulnerabilities. The GK is typically the most stable part of that unit and something the rest can be built around. If the GK is unreliable (in any area including shot stopping, injuries/availability, moments of madness and more) then building a solid defensive strategy becomes infinitely more difficult.

I am also seeing a lot of people complaining about 30 mill for a keeper, whereas if it was a striker it would be cheap. People underestimate the importance of a goalkeeper - how much success would we have had in the 80's without Big Nev? (hint: the answer is probably zero we would have lost the leagues by a few points, been knocked out of cups and been much worse affected by defensive injuries than we were)

"Promising" English 'keepers make me nervous. The likes of Chris Kirkland, Richard Wright, Scott Carson, Robert Green, Paul Robinson, Steve Simonsen, Ben Foster, John Ruddy all spring to mind.

A relegated 'keeper at a skint club without an senior international cap with 20 odd games in the top flight.

£30m? I hope half of that is based on key success milestones at Everton.

There's safer options out there, Begovic was one, Joe Hart is another.

Not sure what to think...
To take those keepers in order:

Kirkland - turned out ok in the end but hadn't played any top flight football when he signed for the RS
Richard Wright - Always looked pretty dodgy
Scott Carson - Again has turned into a decent keeper but hadn't played any top flight footie when he signed for them.
Rob Green - Solid keeper, not sure he was ever a "wunderkind"
Paul Robinson - Very good keeper for a number of years
Steve Simonsen = No top flight appearances when we signed him
Ben Foster - One of the top 5 keepers in the PL last year
John Ruddy - No top flight appearances when we signed him.

Not sure I'd align Pickford with many of them, maybe with Paul Robinson, and if he turns out as good as him we'll be fine.

So they are still upset ? Now we are spending. big bucks, like tuning in to the Samaritans, you couldn't make it up. fkn dooom merchants.

Absolutely buzzing with this news me, a proper keeper with bags and bags of potential and someone who could be out number 1 for years.

The kid will make mistakes for sure but he will also win us points of that I am 100% sure.

COYB!!!

Come on Thomas mate, you don't think that demanding we all fall in line and not question the manager, despite it being reasonable to do so, isn't a bit OTT here?

We've never "beefed" before, and I like you in general, but I must confess I'm a bit worried seeing how you're reacting in here

Again, imagine if Martinez was signing a player that you didn't hate and thought was at best "okay", but you thought there were better options that you wanted the club to explore, and then Dave came in throwing barbs at you whilst declaring that if Martinez wanted him then that was good enough?

You'd think it unreasonable wouldn't you? Of course you would, you're a free thinking and intelligent soul who knows his own mind

It's fine to say that you trust Koeman implicitly, but you can't then have a go at others who aren't as gung ho. Well, you and can and indeed have, but it's beneath you IMO and not nice to see

I still think you're a lovely fellow though

You have gone way off tangent here with this Mikey, I will put it down to time of the month.

No hard feelings x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back