Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I am drastically over-simplifying matters - and not talking about choosing 10 players based on the goalkeepers strengths and weaknesses. Just like it isn't all about shot-stopping as you imply a little ;)

But anyone that doesn't treat the back 4+GK (plus DM's if playing any) as a single unit when blending together their attributes is going to have vulnerabilities. The GK is typically the most stable part of that unit and something the rest can be built around. If the GK is unreliable (in any area including shot stopping, injuries/availability, moments of madness and more) then building a solid defensive strategy becomes infinitely more difficult.

I am also seeing a lot of people complaining about 30 mill for a keeper, whereas if it was a striker it would be cheap. People underestimate the importance of a goalkeeper - how much success would we have had in the 80's without Big Nev? (hint: the answer is probably zero we would have lost the leagues by a few points, been knocked out of cups and been much worse affected by defensive injuries than we were)

We lost the double in 86 thanks to Nev's injury.

Great Strikers win you matches. Great Goalkeepers win you trophies.

I'm happy with this. It says a lot that we are prepared to spend big on an important position, even though there is some element of risk.

Those that are worried would have been saying the same things if we had been in for De Gea when Utd signed him. That first year he looked lightweight and made no end of mistakes. I'm sure we'd all be pretty happy to have him here now, though...
I'm not sure that's a great comparison. De Gea was first choice keeper for Atletico Madrid at the age of 18 and had been touted as a potential superstar throughout junior football. Pickford was playing for Alfreton Town on loan at that age.

I think it's important to remember that Pickford isn't a wonderkid. He's 23. It's common for keepers to peak in their mid 20s now - how many people who are laughing at Hart now would have thought it was a bad idea to sign him when he was 23? So while I certainly think there's room for improvement with Pickford, I think some people are possibly overestimating just how much better he's likely to get.

That being said, I'm not sure there's too many better alternatives out there, and if he does improve on his weaknesses he could be one of the very best in the league, so overall I'll be happy if we get him.

Good Lord that's a lot of dough, if he becomes our version of Buffon for over 10 years though it may look a bargain by then. Gotta go with the club's judgement on this one, I honestly haven't seen him enough.

That's why I find moaning about him incredibly churlish.

We're landing our first choice target in a key position. That's fine by me.
I admit I had reservations, but screw it. If he's our first choice and we're actually signing him then that's brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back