2017/18 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think any of us old enough to remember the 80’s struggle to see keepers punching/palming the ball. Keepers in our day caught everything. The balls are half the weight now, more likely to bounce off the glove. They move faster & they move in the air. Everything is scientifically studied these days, so if the experts say the percentage is to punch/palm, then that’s the right way. Obviously the more distance the better.

With regards which hand, I’ve never understood the advantage of this new trend of reaching over with your “wrong “ hand. Looks weird & anatomically impossible to get the same reach, but they’re all doing it these days, so they’re obviously being coached that way.

He’s conceded 3 goals at the tournament. All from crap defending. None are his fault.
Walker gave away a needless and stupid penalty. Odds are always against pickford there.
Panama scores a goal where for some reason all our defenders were behind the man who scored from a freekick that was needlessly given away.
Belgium scored a great goal after our defender was rinsed. Another mistake from a defender. The amount of times we just let them skip into the box was ridiculous. And this was a Belgium who couldn’t be bothered.
Yes he palmed one of their shot back out but they didn’t score from it. He also spilt a ball (that was kicked out from his arms) which they also didn’t score from. But none of the goals have been his fault but the fault of crap defending.
Get behind him.

When England are picking ex Sunderland players like Pickford and Henderson, they deserve to not win anything.
Usually agree with most of what you say but can’t on this occasion mate.

Reckon Pickford is one of the best signings we’ve had in years. Also, perhaps if he’s being criticised for a goal that (imo) wasn’t his fault, maybe he’ll feel even more appreciated when he gets back to us?

Unless you were being funny and I missed that element lol

Usually agree with most of what you say but can’t on this occasion mate.

Reckon Pickford is one of the best signings we’ve had in years. Also, perhaps if he’s being criticised for a goal that (imo) wasn’t his fault, maybe he’ll feel even more appreciated when he gets back to us?

Unless you were being funny and I missed that element lol
Think the jury is still out on this. The problem - which is not his fault - is the fee, the 3rd most expensive keeper ever he should be doing better. He is 24 and has some time on his side but I am not as encouraged as I was before the WC performances which have been overly criticised I think.

Think the jury is still out on this. The problem - which is not his fault - is the fee, the 3rd most expensive keeper ever he should be doing better. He is 24 and has some time on his side but I am not as encouraged as I was before the WC performances which have been overly criticised I think.
Again, can’t agree mate, the jury is in for me.

He’s the best goalie we’ve had since Neville.

Better than Nigel Martyn ?

I think not , not at this stage in his career.

Potentially good but must eradicate this flaw of punching the ball back into danger.

Also not the biggest keeper so could struggle to dominate his area.
Yeah I’d say he edges it.

And Southall was only 5’11”.

Edit: just checked , Pickford and Southall both equal height at 6’1”. So height can’t be a criticising point for me.

Oh no, Martyn was head and shoulders above him. He’s on par, slightly better than Howard. The only reason he gets a pass is because of his age and people hoping he’ll improve.

Like most young keepers he’s an acrobatic shot stopper, but he’s not commanding of his box and his positional sense is very questionable. Howard was all these as well

Oh no, Martyn was head and shoulders above him. He’s on par, slightly better than Howard. The only reason he gets a pass is because of his age and people hoping he’ll improve.

Like most young keepers he’s an acrobatic shot stopper, but he’s not commanding of his box and his positional sense is very questionable. Howard was all these as well
Have to agree to disagree mate, I think he’s the best we’ve had in decades.

Potentially maybe,I don't see what he has done so far to deserve the comparison with Nev but we will see. He has weaknesses that have been identified all season yet repeats the same errors for England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back