2017/18 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robles was better than Howard or Coward as I christened him in those last disastrous 3 years - Robles kept ten clean sheets only for Timmy to walk back in - losing us points all over the place it was not hard to better him - who the hell extended his contract for 3 more years.....
I always stated he would cost RM his job ....
Pickford will become a very or even great keeper for us - big Nev never started great for us ....

lol

No

Saying Pope is better than Pickford because of last season's stats is exactly why Walsh got us in this effin mess with our squad - it's easy for Pope and Keane to look great as part of a well organized deep defence - not only do you conceed fewer shots but those shots also tend to be of worse quality.

We have a young keeper who could easily be the Everton and England No. 1 for the next 10+ years and still some on here would tell us Paul Gerrard was a better keeper.... sake
Well actually it was overspending on average players. Say like spending 30 mil on a keeper with one season of top flight football behind him.

And on your last paragraph I remember people saying the same about Chris Kirkland

Howard was bang average, fergie got rid after one season that’s tells us all we need to know. Pickford has made less mistakes costing us points in his first season, than Howard did in any of his 10 seasons.
Using your own 'logic' though, the fact that none of the top managers even bothered to sign Pickford in the first place tells us everything we need to know about him.

Only fault he has is parrying the ball back into play. Besides that he is a great shot stopper and a keeper that has top reflexes and anticipation. Dea Gea looks absolute rubbish this world cup but we know he is not. Germanys keeper looked garbage but we know he is not. We are in an age when failed managers are telling US were other managers and players are going wrong and ex players that have not a clue about coaching telling US what went wrong. Pearls of wisdom is not what these melts have or they would still be in the game. Football is a blame game now. Without faults no one would score. Remember the England team with Neville as coach then his highly successful managerial career in Spain. Football is not perfect and it's errors that make a game. Every single goal in history has an element of blame.

FFS it's bad enough that the gurning numpties on the cosy couches on TV are looking to give Pickford grief at the earliest opportunity but it is completely beyond the pale at how quickly some GOTers are happy to stick in the knife (and then give it a good twist). The lad was one of a few bright spots for us last season, he's the starting GK for a last 16 world cup side and is one of the only players we have who genuinely seems to delighted when we win and is gutted when we lose (or even concede a goal). But let's start getting on his case because he conceded a goal in the top corner against one of the top ranked teams in the world. Oh, and some of the lids on here giving him crap are the same people who want us to sign Danny Rose, you know, the lad who was really at fault last night. 'sake.

Using your own 'logic' though, the fact that none of the top managers even bothered to sign Pickford in the first place tells us everything we need to know about him.
Maybe some of these clubs that are getting quoted silly money fir keepers this summer, wish they had bought him last year for 30mil.

What have Arsenal just paid fir Leno? Who apparently has been poor the last couple of seasons in Germany. Butland will probably cost 50mil when he goes.

Maybe some of these clubs that are getting quoted silly money fir keepers this summer, wish they had bought him last year for 30mil.

What have Arsenal just paid fir Leno? Who apparently has been poor the last couple of seasons in Germany. Butland will probably cost 50mil when he goes.
Well Arsenal have apparently paid £19m for Leno so quite considerably less.

That wasn't really the point though, I was just highlighting that it's pretty stupid to say Howard was obviously rubbish because Ferguson sold him, because it ignores the fact he obviously thought he was good enough to sign (and play) in the first place.

I'm really not trying to slate Pickford here, I genuinely think he's decent, but he's honestly not a massive improvement on peak Howard from where I'm sat.

Read somewhere before the WC kicked off that Bayern were going to run the rule over him. Probably not a bad thing last nights display then :)

Didn't Fergie sign Jim Leighton and didn't Fergie sign Howard in the first place anyway.
He was manager for 26yrs with pots of money to spend, he was going to get some signings wrong. He obviously knew after seeing Howard in games and training everyday he wasn’t good enough and quickly moved him on.

So your saying Fergie should have stuck with Howard and give him more time?
Getting Van der sar & De Gea proved he was right.

They should, he keeps repeating the same mistakes.
What mistakes ?
Pickford at 23 was our player of the season and in a difficult season at the club has established himself as forst choice international keeper.

It is amazing how highly paid , top class coaches and international managers cannot see all these mistakes, but people who have no involvement (as far as I know) in professional sport and no understanding of what is involved in goalkeeping at that level can readily point out the mistakes that he is supposed to be making.

Well actually it was overspending on average players. Say like spending 30 mil on a keeper with one season of top flight football behind him.

And on your last paragraph I remember people saying the same about Chris Kirkland

My point was that defensive players playing in defensive teams are always going to look better than they probably are, whereas Pickford has had to play behind Sunderland and Everton defenses.

Kirkland was made of glass, unless you're planning on perma-crocking Pickford with a stapler as soon as he gets back from the WC it's a pointless comparison

What mistakes ?
Pickford at 23 was our player of the season and in a difficult season at the club has established himself as forst choice international keeper.

It is amazing how highly paid , top class coaches and international managers cannot see all these mistakes, but people who have no involvement (as far as I know) in professional sport and no understanding of what is involved in goalkeeping at that level can readily point out the mistakes that he is supposed to be making.
Quite right, I remember Dai The Drop.

Well Arsenal have apparently paid £19m for Leno so quite considerably less.

That wasn't really the point though, I was just highlighting that it's pretty stupid to say Howard was obviously rubbish because Ferguson sold him, because it ignores the fact he obviously thought he was good enough to sign (and play) in the first place.

I'm really not trying to slate Pickford here, I genuinely think he's decent, but he's honestly not a massive improvement on peak Howard from where I'm sat.
See my last post Fergie was always going to make some mistakes in the transfer market, with loads of money to spend.
Serious question, do you think Howard would have lasted 10 yrs at one of the other top prem clubs the big 6 if you like.
Fergie’s Howard was
Moyes’s Koldrup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back