2017/18 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was manager for 26yrs with pots of money to spend, he was going to get some signings wrong. He obviously knew after seeing Howard in games and training everyday he wasn’t good enough and quickly moved him on.

So your saying Fergie should have stuck with Howard and give him more time?
Getting Van der sar & De Gea proved he was right.

No I am not saying he should have stuck with Howard what I am saying is every manager gets it wrong at times like Kendall got it wrong with Jim Arnold but got it right with Southall (given time). Howard was a decent keeper for us for a number of years only we kept him too long.

What mistakes ?
Pickford at 23 was our player of the season and in a difficult season at the club has established himself as forst choice international keeper.

It is amazing how highly paid , top class coaches and international managers cannot see all these mistakes, but people who have no involvement (as far as I know) in professional sport and no understanding of what is involved in goalkeeping at that level can readily point out the mistakes that he is supposed to be making.
Have you got a telly mate ? Read a paper ? I know you have access to the internet.
Its all over the place and has been all season about his tendency to punch the ball back into open play, his dubious kicking and over exaggerated saves. He has weaknesses and they are always brutally exposed when you are a keeper, it does not mean he will not be a success but you cant ignore them. He is 24 so needs to kick on this season to justify the fee we paid, that's how I see it.

Using your own 'logic' though, the fact that none of the top managers even bothered to sign Pickford in the first place tells us everything we need to know about him.

Not really, we got in first and no one else needed a keeper, well apart from Liverpool but they have needed one for about 6 years and have made no effort to get one so they dont count

See my last post Fergie was always going to make some mistakes in the transfer market, with loads of money to spend.
Serious question, do you think Howard would have lasted 10 yrs at one of the other top prem clubs the big 6 if you like.
Fergie’s Howard was
Moyes’s Koldrup
No, he wouldn't. He was a good keeper but not a top class one. Same as Pickford on current evidence.

My point was that defensive players playing in defensive teams are always going to look better than they probably are, whereas Pickford has had to play behind Sunderland and Everton defenses.

Kirkland was made of glass, unless you're planning on perma-crocking Pickford with a stapler as soon as he gets back from the WC it's a pointless comparison
He was part of those defences, yet he's the only one people make excuses for, it's happening for England now aswell where he's playing behind the best defenders this country has to offer.

Point with Kirkland was he too like Jordan was overhyped too early got a big move and surprise surprise couldn't live up to it because he simply wasn't anything special, injury prone or not

He went with his correct hand.

He could have taken half a step to his right, too.
He could have also waited a split second to get a better leap but the ball was hit so well he wasn’t afforded that.

Lads class. Going to be even better. He can improve, of course he can but he far from made a mistake last night or had a poor game. Off ya Barnet if you seriously suggest so.

He went with his correct hand.

He could have taken half a step to his right, too.
He could have also waited a split second to get a better leap but the ball was hit so well he wasn’t afforded that.

Lads class. Going to be even better. He can improve, of course he can but he far from made a mistake last night or had a poor game. Off ya Barnet if you seriously suggest so.
The shot was a corker - end of the defender was to blame end of... pundits trying to make something of a dead rubber game....

Hopefully Pickford himself along with the everton staff will be looking at his game objectively and not burying their heads in the sand, he has an issue putting the ball back in the danger area, it was an issue at sunderland and its still an issue now

Not really, we got in first and no one else needed a keeper, well apart from Liverpool but they have needed one for about 6 years and have made no effort to get one so they dont count
Everyone needs a keeper if they're better than the one they currently have. Also City bought a keeper last year. So in short, yes I was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back