2017/18 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don`t know what the agenda is with some of the pundits, it`s like they`ve been waiting for any chance to criticise him.

Some of them deffo wanted Butland from the off, maybe that`s the agenda ?
Who said they wanted Butland ? He was criticised by the pundits as he made mistakes, this happens in professional sport when you actually make mistakes. Its like some on here are protecting their children, how dare they criticise my Jordan, goalies always get it, part of the job when you are the last line of defence where a mistake normally costs a goal. Not bothered about the criticism more concerned that he addresses the weaknesses and makes them eat their words (a bit like De Gea has).

I disagree
Lampards winner in 2009 was the final straw for me, sadly I had to watch him fir another 6 years.
Timmy made that many mistakes I lost count in his last two seasons - the memorable ones were his star jumps his eyes closed , and stuck to his line like bostick - if no one could see that why did they give an aging keeper a 3 year deal - Everton that....

Who said they wanted Butland ? He was criticised by the pundits as he made mistakes, this happens in professional sport when you actually make mistakes. Its like some on here are protecting their children, how dare they criticise my Jordan, goalies always get it, part of the job when you are the last line of defence where a mistake normally costs a goal. Not bothered about the criticism more concerned that he addresses the weaknesses and makes them eat their words (a bit like De Gea has).

He cannot be criticised for a free shot at goal in the 18 yd box. Unless it's a soft shot or straight at the keeper then the keeper is always second favourite. The criticism should be aimed at Rose and Delph for allowing a free shot. It is not a protect Pickford at all costs it is a 'pass the buck' punditry that alarms us. Pickford does have faults as all keepers have. Dea Gea has proven in the past that he is a top keeper but it has been noticeable that he is prone to big mistakes also. Pickford was at no fault for the goal but seems at fault for the saves he made??

I don`t know what the agenda is with some of the pundits, it`s like they`ve been waiting for any chance to criticise him.

Some of them deffo wanted Butland from the off, maybe that`s the agenda ?
I wanted Butland instead of Pickford at Everton..
But i now think Jordan is sound.

I think there is a bit of an agenda against him. Although, he does get beaten from long range shots a bit too easily for my liking!

He cannot be criticised for a free shot at goal in the 18 yd box. Unless it's a soft shot or straight at the keeper then the keeper is always second favourite. The criticism should be aimed at Rose and Delph for allowing a free shot. It is not a protect Pickford at all costs it is a 'pass the buck' punditry that alarms us. Pickford does have faults as all keepers have. Dea Gea has proven in the past that he is a top keeper but it has been noticeable that he is prone to big mistakes also. Pickford was at no fault for the goal but seems at fault for the saves he made??
He was 'at fault' for the saves he made though, because he made quite obvious errors with them. That's fine, it happens every now and again but the idea that pundits won't pick up on an England keeper making errors in a World Cup game is pretty far fetched.

As you rightly said, Rose and Delph were at fault for the goal, and they would still be at fault even if that shot had gone over the bar. It's the same for Pickford - the fact that his 2 errors didn't lead to goals doesn't change the fact that they very well could have done, and undoubtedly will at some point if he makes them again.

No I am not saying he should have stuck with Howard what I am saying is every manager gets it wrong at times like Kendall got it wrong with Jim Arnold but got it right with Southall (given time). Howard was a decent keeper for us for a number of years only we kept him too long.
He used to clatter in to the post, at least once a game. The whole frame of the goal used to shake

He was 'at fault' for the saves he made though, because he made quite obvious errors with them. That's fine, it happens every now and again but the idea that pundits won't pick up on an England keeper making errors in a World Cup game is pretty far fetched.

As you rightly said, Rose and Delph were at fault for the goal, and they would still be at fault even if that shot had gone over the bar. It's the same for Pickford - the fact that his 2 errors didn't lead to goals doesn't change the fact that they very well could have done, and undoubtedly will at some point if he makes them again.

He should have dealt with them better but you cannot say a save is a fault. I was on the way to pick my missus up from work and the radio pundits (Stuart Pearce and co) praised Pickford for his first save saying that the ball was all over the place then when I get in the TV is saying different. My whole point in this blame culture is the pundits acting like they were perfect when they were far from it. Bet you the rest of the worlds TV are praising the goal rather than blaming someone. It's the British in us. Whinging at it's best. Players being put down by ex players and failed managers then the majority of the public hanging on to there words. I suggest people watch some of the old classic games thread and see how refreshing it is to listen to commentators commentate rather than judge and blame.

Reading all this makes me wonder if there is a sizable gap in what people are saying and what people are reading in to it.

I am of the opinion that Pickford is the best signing we made last summer. No large feat as everyone was gash. But he's not (again, imo) anywhere near a TOP keeper. Rate Leno that went to Arsenal a heck of a lot better than Pickford.

He STILL punches the ball back directly into the middle of the pitch, after being a pro for 4 years(?). That's on him, that's not on the defense around him, that's not on the coaches not getting him to cut it out. Him. He is the one doing it.

His distribution, which was a HUGE part of his game at Sunderland, is seemingly getting worse.

He is a good shot stopper tho, and very vocal.

Is he the best keeper in the Premier League? No, by some measure. Is he the worst? No, again, by some measure. He could either stagnate or improve going forward.

But people standing up for him on here isn't going to help him, neither is people criticizing aspects of his game going to deter him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back