Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Juan Mata

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm saying Manchester (and thus the north west in general) is a prime place to live and the appointment of two massive names in sport is only going to increase that.

You were claiming it wasn't an attractive proposition, when it certainly is...

What good is that to Everton?!

Why?

London clubs rely heavily on the attraction of London as a city, not just their own clubs. There is a definite feeling of the sum being greater than parts about playing for a London club.

It's a viable strategy for the North West. We are a hot bed of football investment, we have collectively 4 of the most high profile managers in the game, and we represent far more potential and upside than any of the others.

It doesn't matter that we may currently be the junior club in terms of recent achievement, it's all about what we will achieve in the future and who we can attract going forward.

HORATIO
O day and night, but this is wondrous strange!
HAMLET
And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

...Evertonians, believe in what's right in front of your eyes right now, even if you didn't previously believe it.

... the future is impossibly bright

So did Shaqiri always dream of living in Stoke? Ravenelli always dreamed of living in Middlesbrough? (which is a right eyesore, I've been there)

No, it was money. If Shaqiri had the exact same offer from a club in London, he wouldn't have chose Stoke.

That was my original point, I just worded it badly.

Your original point was beans, not worded badly.

Players move with money as one of their prime drivers, thanks for that Nostradamus

There are also many other drivers, perceived chances of success, CL football, first team game time, the manager and coaching staff, potential team mates, quality of life in the area etc etc etc.

To suggest that the NW only has cash to offer over the bright lights of London is ridiculous.

Do you honestly think a player will think "Oooh I'll go to Everton because Mourinho and Pep manage at clubs in the next city."

Jeez. Some serious straw clutching going on now.

It's not straw clutching at all. Noone is pretending that would be the primary reason for joining Everton but nevertheless the footballing identity of the region is incredibly strong and given we can compete financially we should leverage off that.

In footballing terms as well as lifestyle the region compares equally favourably to London, that's part of the sales pitch, it would be foolish to think otherwise.

OK let me rephrase.

If a player from abroad gets an offer from a club situated in London and a club situated up North in Manchester/Liverpool, 9 times out of 10 he would choose London if the money is similiar.

I don't like it, it's just what it is - a fact. I would also choose London everytime. It's an amazing place to live when earning tens of thousands a week.
London is a horrendous place to live and work..

But then I hate city living..

So did Shaqiri always dream of living in Stoke? Ravenelli always dreamed of living in Middlesbrough? (which is a right eyesore, I've been there)

No, it was money. If Shaqiri had the exact same offer from a club in London, he wouldn't have chose Stoke.

But for all you know Shaquiris Mum might be an avid collector of Denby pottery and being in that neck of the woods fulfilled a childhood dream to buy his old dear the best tea pot that money can buy.

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would ever dream of living in Stoke - but again that is very much an individual thing.

Location is possibly irrelevant for some but could also be important to others.

Allegedly it is not always about the money as we often hear of players taking a pay cut or taking a lesser offer in terms of money for wanting to be in a particular place/team or working with particular personalities such as managers or fellow players to learn from or play alongside.

There are lots of different factors that could be a consideration for different individuals, so probably dodgy ground to stereotype or make sweeping statements of what you perceive to be key factors.

The bottom line is we simply do not know!

Depends on the players circumstance. If they have a young family then a large secluded house in a leafy Cheshire village or right next to the beach, dunes and pine-forests of Formby/freshfield would definitely be a major draw to the North West.

However if the player is young and unmarried then yes the bright lights of London and all it has to offer would be a clincher. It's not solely about the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back