Transfer Rumour Keane Lewis-Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it depends if they have the aggression/strength to compensate.. Bernard for example a wet paper bag, Aguero on the other hand strong as an Ox.
Flying in the championship as a teenager would make me think he's got enough about him to cut it in PL physically at least.
Well, I dont see Aguero as a good example here.

If he was playing in midfield I'd have a different attitude to his stature.

The guy scores a lot of headers though Dave, but if a Tim Cahill about how he finds that space
No problem with a Cahill type who also slots in MF and does the job there too.

I'm not saying it's impossible to be small and succeed up front. He might be a new Mertens. I just doubt the wisdom of getting a small forward overall. It seems like a gamble we dont need.

I did say there was obvious exceptions to the rule.

*sigh*

…to be fair to your argument, this lad is quite slight as well. I like him lots, though.

If you watch his movement from the outset for his goal last night, he’s always looking to steal a yard on the defenders & when the cross comes in he shows real desire to not only reach the ball but to control the header. It can’t be a coincidence he scores so many with his head.

I wouldn’t see him as an out and out central striker but he’d be a very useful addition to the squad. A very progressive signing.

…to be fair to your argument, this lad is quite slight as well. I like him lots, though.

If you watch his movement from the outset for his goal last night, he’s always looking to steal a yard on the defenders & when the cross comes in he shows real desire to not only reach the ball but to control the header. It can’t be a coincidence he scores so many with his head.

I wouldn’t see him as an out and out central striker but he’d be a very useful addition to the squad. A very progressive signing.

Hes a winger/inside forward really, hes not a 9.

He'd get next to no chance to get headers in against a decent PL defence.

That level you watched him at is not great.

Actually just had a look there, hes played 15 games through the middle of midfield (the old Cahill role) - scoring 7 goals, his most productive position.

I always bridle at this relatively modern tendency to the fetishisation of bulk by some football supporters, the need for all players to be a’unit’.
Some of the finest players I have witnessed (and will continue to witness) have been relatively small or slight players.
In many cases the ‘smaller’player often benefits from a lower centre of gravity or a better turn of speed and agility ,often both.
Perhaps one reason for the ascendancy of association football over the alternative versions is the fact that all shapes and sizes can find a purposeful place in the team.
The deciding factor should always be skill not size.
It is football not Rugby we follow after all.
Me too. But I did say they were exceptions.

The game in the PL has evolved to a point where athleticism and size is as important as technique and vision.

Hes a winger/inside forward really, hes not a 9.
He can play anywhere on the left hand side of the pitch from LB to LF and he has played across the front 3 in all the positions. He is still young so is still finding his feet and nailing down a place/position, I mean he was playing as a RF last night.

Looks promising but he is very much unproven at the top level. If he joins us I hope he's given time to acclimatise to the faster pace of the Premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back